PDA

View Full Version : Badger Skids

Pappy
01-14-2004, 06:57 AM
hey im also gonna send them a pm but i need to get one of thier skids fixed(if it is i havent a clue) . its split long ways at a seam. being stainless i dont think a repair will last but it will make a good spare.

anyone know where i can get a replacement? or does PRM make skids for the ARFX swing arms?

Extremeracer167
01-14-2004, 10:37 AM
pappy,
Im not 100% sure on this, but i thought i remembered someone telling me that Pro-Tect makes them for that swinger. Like i said, im not positive, but i thought they did. I dont know if you wanted another stainless one, but they are the only ones i remember hearing about. Hope this helps:confused:

Badger_Skid
01-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Pappy:

I don't build for the ARFX, it's not a Badger Racing Product.

Pappy
01-14-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Badger_Skid
Pappy:

I don't build for the ARFX, it's not a Badger Racing Product.

ok thats what i was told it was. there are no markings at all. ill post a picture tonight maybe you can head me in teh right direction:(

the swing arm is produced for or by AXIS.

Badger_Skid
01-14-2004, 12:47 PM
No problem at all, I can make a few calls and if I can't help you I'll send you in the right direction. There are some really good guys out there who can help.

How bad is it tore up? Beyond repair? I have fixed a few skidplates that people have trown away and I gave away to people to keep them running. I can fix aluminum or stainless skids. Aluminum ones are a little tougher to make strong but with enough splices and somoe good weld points you can make it acceptable again to run.

PM me and let me know what you think.....

Pappy
01-14-2004, 12:51 PM
haha well it was on bill ballances quad so tore up has new meanings:p it is split not bashed up really. being that i havent worked with stainless i dunno much about repairing this so i cant help :)

ill check it over real good tonight and send ya pm ...and thanks for any help you can offer

01-14-2004, 12:53 PM
I'd have to say it's a pro armor since that's who bill uses on his quads for protection...:confused:

Pappy
01-14-2004, 12:54 PM
it very well could be. it wouldnt matter what brand it is...i just want a new one that will fit:p

Dave400ex
01-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Ballance also ran Pro-Tect at one point.

01-14-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
it very well could be. it wouldnt matter what brand it is...i just want a new one that will fit:p

Why you need protection when your quads never leave the trailer:confused: :confused:

:eek:

Pappy
01-14-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Why you need protection when your quads never leave the trailer:confused: :confused:

:eek:

oh thats right i forgot:(

Pappy
01-14-2004, 02:59 PM
well im happy to say it isnt a Badger Skid:p i can only assume it is a pro tect or pro amor:( in any event ill just have to try and see if AXIS used 88-89 R skid plate mounts:D

Badger_Skid
01-14-2004, 04:56 PM
That's a Pro-Tect, I'm positive, 100%.

Bll ran their stuff for a few years and then switched over to Pro Armor.

Pappy
01-14-2004, 05:06 PM
That's a Pro-Tect, I'm positive, 100%.

Bll ran their stuff for a few years and then switched over to Pro Armor.

thanks for all your help. i kinda wish it was yours so id know where to get one for this swing arm:p

i reckon this can be fixed and re used ...but hopefully i can get the 911 on where to get a replacement. i geuss ill call bill and yell at him until he gives me phone number:devil:

AtvMxRider
01-14-2004, 05:27 PM
i ...but hopefully i can get the 911 on where to get a replacement.

That would be 411.................:blah:

Pappy
01-14-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
That would be 411.................:blah:

but im in a hurry:mad:

and i figured you would get the 911 slang:devil: :blah:

Pappy
01-15-2004, 07:18 AM
here is some pics of what Badgers do look like. looks pretty nice.

what are some of the adnvantages to stainless skids over the aluminum?

Pappy
01-15-2004, 07:20 AM
i was also glad to see the support you are offering Chad Duvall, William Yokely and FST.

Wingnut
01-15-2004, 10:02 AM
I just got a Badger skid. When I first saw this thread, I thought there was no way a Badger skid will split. If mine ever gets torn off I'm sure the swingarm's going with it.:eek:

K_Fulk
01-15-2004, 10:29 AM
well im happy to say it isnt a Badger Skid:p i can only assume it is a pro tect or pro amor:( in any event ill just have to try and see if AXIS used 88-89 R skid plate mounts:D

Thats deffinatly a pro tect i have one that looks about the same. Mine only had about 3 welds on either side, got it rewelded should be ok for some trail rides.

Badger_Skid
01-15-2004, 11:05 AM
First I want to say that there are some really good skidplates on the market and I don’t mean any harm to any of those companies that decide to build aluminum skidplates. Also, nothing is indestructible; William Yokley can tear up an anvil. It doesn’t matter what you build it out of, except maybe concrete.

There many differences concerning stainless vs. aluminum skidplates. Most people will agree that stainless is the stronger of the two, it takes about 3 times more pressure to bend a piece of stainless vs. a piece of aluminum. The wear characteristics are different as well. Sliding a piece of aluminum over rocks and debris will wear quicker than doing the same with stainless. I’m not slamming aluminum I build skids for bikes out of aluminum, it’s good stuff for a specific purpose. CRF450 skid, very trick.

I like to believe that the skidplates we build are better not just because they are stainless but because they are designed better. Understanding how metals stress and the best welding processes make a better product. Making skidplates out of stainless worked best for us and gave us the best product at the best price. Honda ran an aluminum skidplate during the Vegas 200, they built it to survive the race, the cost, near $700. William Yokley ran a Badger and it was worn but nowhere near ready for the trash can. I was very happy with the results.

We spend time at races talking with people all the time and taking notes, asking what people are looking for. Price, quality, delivery, looks, fit, etc. all goes in to the equation. With Badger you can order the same exact unit that William or Chad run, we put all of that technology that we learn and put that into every skidplate that we ship. My goal two years ago was to design and build a skidplate William or Chad could not tear up and try and put that product into people’s hands for a price that they felt good about giving. I hate giving too much money for something when I know that the product could be so much better. The motorcycle industry tries to sell as many units that it possibly can, the result is that people don’t always get the best quality product, they get the cheapest.

Thanks,
Deric

Pappy
01-15-2004, 11:13 AM
ok, here is my take or was on skids. id love to hear your take on my opinion. and feel free to speak your mind.

i always thought that using a decent aluminum skid was the thing to do. (ofcourse thats all that was out there...aluminum that is) my reasoning was when it bent i could bend it back (sometimes) \

now that the stainless ones are out im at a loss. id love to atleast try one but im afraid that by being so strong the entire force of rocks hitting it would transfer more energy to my swing arm and cause cracks etc.

please fill me in. im by far an expert and only know what i see.

Doibugu2
01-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Nice honest response Deric.

How bout some free testing when we go to Hatfield.

How many skids have we ruined there?

Pappy
01-15-2004, 11:17 AM
i meant to say im FAR FROM AN EXPERT:p

rico busted me:mad:

01-15-2004, 11:23 AM
i meant to say im FAR FROM AN EXPERT:p

rico busted me:mad:

somebodies gotta keep an eye on ya...:o

I notice Wiliams skid has the area cut out of it for the LT kit on the rear shock. Your the only one doin that I believe. I guess I'll be cuttin my PRM when i get my LT setup on there..:(

Taco
01-15-2004, 11:25 AM
somebodies gotta keep an eye on ya...:o

I notice Wiliams skid has the area cut out of it for the LT kit on the rear shock. Your the only one doin that I believe. I guess I'll be cuttin my PRM when i get my LT setup on there..:( Isnt the PRM Z skid like that too?

01-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Taco
Isnt the PRM Z skid like that too?

Look at my sig stupid. Do you see a Z down there?? NO, so how the heck am i supposed to know...:eek2:

LMFAO

Pappy
01-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Look at my sig stupid. Do you see a Z down there?? NO, so how the heck am i supposed to know...:eek2:

LMFAO

badger needs to build taco an *** skid from that post:eek: :blah:

Taco
01-15-2004, 11:44 AM
I hate you all:grr:

cdalejef
01-15-2004, 01:01 PM
ROTFLMFAO!!!!

Badger_Skid
01-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Hey Doibugu2:

Maybe later in the year after the GNCC season starts a bit maybe we can do a test on the Hatfield trials. I'll donate a skid and belly and you guys can take pictures and I can put them on the web site I'm working on. A real good trashing of a skidplate.

Hopefully if all goes well the site will be up sometime next month.

I would love to see a major magazine do a skidplate shootout, that would rock and I'd love to get in on some of that.

AtvMxRider
01-15-2004, 04:38 PM
badger needs to build taco an *** skid from that post:eek: :blah:

I bet he already has skid marks.................:eek2:

ranger400ex
01-15-2004, 04:45 PM
Pappy, get with me and I will take the skid to Pro-Tect...he lives only a couple miles from my house in greenfield out by the old Smith John Deere. MAybe ole boy can hook you up. Call me asap

ben

317-331-1197

PS Change it out and sell it....I would look at badger or PRM.

ben

holeshot19
01-15-2004, 06:52 PM
i guess when u get your hands on a honda 450r let me know thanks

Woodsrider
01-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Deric,
Where can I find more info on your Skids, until your site is up?

Doibugu2
01-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Hey Doibugu2:

Maybe later in the year after the GNCC season starts a bit maybe we can do a test on the Hatfield trials. I'll donate a skid and belly and you guys can take pictures and I can put them on the web site I'm working on. A real good trashing of a skidplate.

Hopefully if all goes well the site will be up sometime next month.

I would love to see a major magazine do a skidplate shootout, that would rock and I'd love to get in on some of that.

It seems the big ride will be in September, so I will make a mental note to hit you up before we leave. I'd be willing to try and break that SOB.:devil:

ranger400ex
01-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Pappy....you there?

nvrpmx
04-30-2007, 08:23 AM
we have a 88-89 250r badger skid new we would like to trade for trx 450r skid.we ran badger skids on all of our roll swing arms in the bitd series and they held up really well.we have been running one on a trx450 in the worcs series and have had no problems,but need another for new quad. Thanks