PDA

View Full Version : zps rear shock for xc.. good or bad ?

gump
01-13-2004, 10:37 PM
is a revalved stock shock with zps a good or bad thing fo xc ?? riding a z400 and need it lower

4TraxRider
01-14-2004, 02:37 PM
It will be fine, a lot of riders race XC with ZPS style suspension.

LathersR
01-14-2004, 05:37 PM
Yea.. its a great add on for xc

bjt7550
01-15-2004, 09:14 AM
GUMP

check this link
http://z400central.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=18401

gump
01-15-2004, 09:27 AM
thanks bjt.. thought having mine revalved and resprung would lower mine enough but didn't. called derisiracing back and wants anthor 300 just to zps it. that would put me at having 600 in a stock shock.. oh well you live and learn

muff
01-15-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by gump
thanks bjt.. thought having mine revalved and resprung would lower mine enough but didn't. called derisiracing back and wants anthor 300 just to zps it. that would put me at having 600 in a stock shock.. oh well you live and learn

yea...i just called up derisi the other day about getting my rear shock redone for xc...he told me just to get the revalve, and didnt say much else....I'm just gonna go send it out to the quadshop and have it rebuilt

I dont see why you wouldnt have the quad lower, especially with the taller tires and all

gump
01-15-2004, 10:15 AM
i'm gonna send mine to jeff too in about a week when i get somemore money.. damn expensive sport this is.. have to work every saturday just to keep this thing up and i cant even ride with this broke hand.. but gotta be ready for the up coming season

gump
01-15-2004, 10:20 AM
by the way i'm not dissing derisi !!!! he's a cool guy, and does good work.. i just didn't know much when i sent him mine and these damn suzuki's are really tall... my elkas lowered the front alot

Pappy
01-15-2004, 10:23 AM
by the way i'm not dissing derisi !!!! he's a cool guy, and does good work.. i just didn't know much when i sent him mine and these damn suzuki's are really tall... my elkas lowered the front alot

yeah the suki rear needs zps and with the elka fronts its mandatory me thinks:p

bjt7550
01-15-2004, 01:03 PM
If you run 400ex front shocks & lowering strut I mentioned in post above you can get those z400's to have a nice ride height.
The 400ex front shocks will lower the front around 1.25-1.50 inches
The rear lowering strut will lower around 2.0 inches

this is nice setup for someone without alot of money

cdalejef
01-15-2004, 03:48 PM
I wouldn't go with the rear strut, it changes the leverage ratio of the linkage and has a negative effect on shock performance. Its ok for flat track or TT but not XC or MX.

gump
01-15-2004, 10:09 PM
jeff i pm'ed ya the other day and you gave me a price on zps'ing my rear shock.. i'm gonna send it to ya in a week or 2. how much lower will the new spring setup be ? and will it be ok with the current valving i have had done ?

JTRtrx250r
01-16-2004, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
I wouldn't go with the rear strut, it changes the leverage ratio of the linkage and has a negative effect on shock performance. Its ok for flat track or TT but not XC or MX. Ive often wondered about that, I know a couple guys that run an adjustable strut for mx...and they claim to have no problems...makes me wonder if they dont know any better or if they dont know what to expect ..and it works for them b/c thats all they know , Ive wondered about the same effects w/ a - swinger, for a guy like me..kinda makes me wonder where to start:confused: suspension tuning seems like it could be a real PITA,especially if you dont know whats what..and whats better:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I bought suspension from works and gave them all my info(about 10-12 yrs ago)when I got them they were almost too soft, I dunno if its b/c Ive always rode w/ heavy suspension or what but I just couldnt get seem to get any rythem w/ them and they were very unpredictable... I have the same problem w/ my CR's suspension set-up to my weight:confused: and it seems most places charge alot for a revalve...that could get real spendy real quick...

bjt7550
01-16-2004, 05:52 AM
I wouldn't go with the rear strut, it changes the leverage ratio of the linkage and has a negative effect on shock performance. Its ok for flat track or TT but not XC or MX.

Why does Elka use a lowering strut with there shock ?
I know the elka shock is setup different then stock shock but it would still be the same effect on leverage ratio of the linkage ?

muff
01-16-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by bjt7550
I know the elka shock is setup different then stock shock but it would still be the same effect on leverage ratio of the linkage ?

I'm sure elka has it designed so when you use their linkage with their spring and revalve it will work flawlessly

cdalejef
01-16-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by bjt7550
I know the elka shock is setup different then stock shock but it would still be the same effect on leverage ratio of the linkage ? Elka uses the fork part of the linkage.

cdalejef
01-16-2004, 07:40 AM
jeff i pm'ed ya the other day and you gave me a price on zps'ing my rear shock.. i'm gonna send it to ya in a week or 2. how much lower will the new spring setup be ? and will it be ok with the current valving i have had done ? generaly around 1.5" to 2"s. The valving depends on your weight.

muff
01-16-2004, 08:23 AM
jeff what do you think about the zps mod for the rear shock for xc?

cdalejef
01-16-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by muff
jeff what do you think about the zps mod for the rear shock for xc? It is much better than stock but not quite as good as the full aftermarket shock.
Self Sagging shocks are the only way to go for any type of racing!

Pappy
01-16-2004, 08:28 AM

Self Sagging

jeff did your doctor give you any pills for that:confused:

norcalatver
01-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Has anyone had a problem bottoming their frame and pegs out after lowering the rear so much? I have the Tim Farr pro pegs which are down 1" and back 1" and when I had the rear lowered I would bottom after a hard landing off a big jump. I quickly raised the rear back up because it really sucked landing and bottoming out!

cdalejef
01-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by norcalatver
Has anyone had a problem bottoming their frame and pegs out after lowering the rear so much? I have the Tim Farr pro pegs which are down 1" and back 1" and when I had the rear lowered I would bottom after a hard landing off a big jump. I quickly raised the rear back up because it really sucked landing and bottoming out! Like norcalatver said, sometimes they hit the ground but its ok it doesn't hinder me any.

remlapr
01-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by norcalatver
Has anyone had a problem bottoming their frame and pegs out after lowering the rear so much? I have the Tim Farr pro pegs which are down 1" and back 1" and when I had the rear lowered I would bottom after a hard landing off a big jump. I quickly raised the rear back up because it really sucked landing and bottoming out!

I've never heard of those pegs, can you post a pic or a link?

norcalatver
01-16-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
I've never heard of those pegs, can you post a pic or a link?

The pegs are part of the nerfs you buy. I bought them almost four years ago. I think they are DG? I won't be able to provide a pic because I'm not sure how to use a camera for posting.

remlapr
01-16-2004, 04:24 PM
oh, OK - those are the same ones I have. I thought they were something different.

gump
01-16-2004, 10:19 PM
Like norcalatver said, sometimes they hit the ground but its ok it doesn't hinder me any.
from the vid i seen you in "elka test" not much hinders ya..