PDA

View Full Version : Sputters At High RPM

Ryan
01-13-2004, 11:00 AM
I recently toke my quad out for a ride and noticed when I try to REV it up, it sputters slightly. I replaced the spark plug and that wasn't the problem. As far as I know, my air filter is clean, (cleaned recently).

Im guessing since the temperature have dropped, I could be running to lean. Possibly I might have to up the main jet.

I was also thinking since I am having trouble keeping my air boot clamped on to my carburator, this could be letting some unwanted air in.

I have not tried plug chopping yet, but I might have to so I know if my main jet is running lean.

Anyone else wanna shed some light on the subjet?

Thanks in advance :cool: .

AndrewRRR
01-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Yes, do a plug check. To check if you have an air leak around the carb boot spray some WD-40 or starting fluid around the area. If the rpm goes up you have a leak.

cals400ex
01-13-2004, 02:25 PM
is it studdering at full thorttle or just at higher rpm's when cruising? what size main are you using? an air leak could be causing problems if you have one.

01-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
I recently toke my quad out for a ride and noticed when I try to REV it up, it sputters slightly. I replaced the spark plug and that wasn't the problem. As far as I know, my air filter is clean, (cleaned recently).

Im guessing since the temperature have dropped, I could be running to lean. Possibly I might have to up the main jet.

I was also thinking since I am having trouble keeping my air boot clamped on to my carburator, this could be letting some unwanted air in.

I have not tried plug chopping yet, but I might have to so I know if my main jet is running lean.

Anyone else wanna shed some light on the subjet?

Thanks in advance :cool: .

it is either ur jetting or ur rev box

hondarider2006
01-13-2004, 04:08 PM
how long do rev boxes go out? Or do they usualy never go out?

01-13-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
how long do rev boxes go out? Or do they usualy never go out?

i think the stocker is like 8500 or 9000rpm

hondarider2006
01-13-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
i think the stocker is like 8500 or 9000rpm

I mean how long do they last before crapping out?;)

01-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
I mean how long do they last before crapping out?;)

pretty long time...if u got the aftermarket carb then it lasts not that long...but if u got the stock carb then its fine...i never hit the limiter when i had the stock stuff...but i only hit it once since then so it should be pretty hard to get up to that high an rpm

2004TRX450R
01-14-2004, 12:42 AM
Is your choke off? Also check your air box and make sure there wasn't a mouse that got in there and built a nest if the bike has been sitting for very long. Most likely just needing a jetting change due to conditions change.

hondarider2006
01-14-2004, 01:23 AM
pretty long time...if u got the aftermarket carb then it lasts not that long...but if u got the stock carb then its fine...i never hit the limiter when i had the stock stuff...but i only hit it once since then so it should be pretty hard to get up to that high an rpm

on snow/ice its very easy to hit;)

AtvMxRider
01-14-2004, 01:43 PM
it is either ur jetting or ur rev box

This is on a blaster.

UglyMotha™
01-14-2004, 01:55 PM

dude he's not talking about the hitting the rev limiter he's talking about how long before they go BAD

it's pretty rare for them to go bad unless it's a aftermarket the stock one's will normally last the life of the bike, but they do somtimes go bad, but i don't think that's your problem

BBW
01-14-2004, 02:09 PM
If it runs good under all conditions except high rpm's I would highly recommend at least looking at the rev limiter. As far as how long they last your guess is as good as anyones. A couple months ago a friend of mine had the same problem your describing. We tried everything and couldn't find the problem. He rode it the rest of the week-end with it cutting out at high rpm's. When he took it in they immediately replaced the rev limiter which ended the problem. Makes a guy wonder just how often they do go out. Keep us posted.

01-14-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
dude he's not talking about the hitting the rev limiter he's talking about how long before they go BAD

it's pretty rare for them to go bad unless it's a aftermarket the stock one's will normally last the life of the bike, but they do somtimes go bad, but i don't think that's your problem

OOOOOO...its also a blaster...so i have no clue why i am in this thread now...i thought it was about a 400

Ryan
01-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention this was a Blaster.

I have not plug chopped or checked for any air leaks yet...... Its to damn cold outside! :o

The quad seems to sputter when im trying to rev it out. Even at 3/4 throttle, it cuts out a little bit.

As soon as I get a chance this weekend to check the jetting, and to see if there is an air leak, I will post the results.

Thanks.

cals400ex
01-16-2004, 02:05 PM
is it not revving past 1/4 throttle or so??
i think my friend runs a 270 mainjet with full pipes and a K&N filter.

UglyMotha™
01-16-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
is it not revving past 1/4 throttle or so??
i think my friend runs a 270 mainjet with full pipes and a K&N filter.

:huh

rap169
01-16-2004, 03:48 PM
i am experiencing the same prob with my yz490 i just bought. im guessing its the jetting, air leak, or low compression. BUt it rens good low to mid rpm, so i duno bout the compression. then again, ive never really messed with 2 strokes before. I hope i get it figured out.

cals400ex
01-16-2004, 04:52 PM
:huh

i think he is talking about the blaster. :confused:

UglyMotha™
01-16-2004, 05:03 PM
what's this 270 mainjet in that you refer to :confused:

cals400ex
01-17-2004, 01:21 PM
what's this 270 mainjet in that you refer to :confused:

270 main is in the blaster. i think the stock jet is 230. their jetting is different from outs since they use mikuni carbs and it is a two stroke.

Ryan
01-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Well I just got done plug chopping.

My plug color (Electroids) is tan, So I guess its not my jetting?

I still have not checked for leaks in the carburator. My guess now it is either an air leak somewhere, or possibly my main jet could be slightly clogged.

Ryan
01-19-2004, 12:11 PM
Problem solved! :D

I just got off the phone with my local motorcycle mechanic. He suggested something about my TPS and shoving a paper clip somewhere? So I got kinda confused on what he told me to do.

I looked at my coil, disconnected the wire comming from the back of it, then shoved a paperclip in there, and taped it up. It seems to be running like a charm now.

All I gotta do is clean up that piece and put eletrical grease in there.

hondarider2006
01-19-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
Problem solved! :D

I just got off the phone with my local motorcycle mechanic. He suggested something about my TPS and shoving a paper clip somewhere? So I got kinda confused on what he told me to do.

I looked at my coil, disconnected the wire comming from the back of it, then shoved a paperclip in there, and taped it up. It seems to be running like a charm now.

All I gotta do is clean up that piece and put eletrical grease in there.

glad to hear that its fixed;)