PDA

View Full Version : 03 using oil b/c of 105 octane gas?

brandonpeake
01-13-2004, 08:08 AM
first off this is not my bike, he is friends with a guy a ride with regularly
its on 03 400ex and he changes the oil regularly nd now he says its about a half a quart low at ech change and it smokes blue smoke regularly when its ridden, he is a fair rider at best my girlfriend is more rough on a bike than he is, his bike has never been pushed hes scared to jump , go fast or climb hiils, im not making fun of him just telling the enitre situation, and he thiniks the race gas has burned out his rings, also this bike is totlaly stock besides a front bumper and some shock covers, so why he runs 105 octane i dont know,
this whole situation dont make any sense to me, i didnt think the race gas should damage the motor

let me know what u think

kgbg
01-13-2004, 10:26 AM
What type of oil is he using?
The race gas is most likely not a culprit, but tell him he is wasting his money and actually loosing power.

phebus
01-13-2004, 11:39 AM
Not a fuel problem. Oil usage and the smoke you described is an engine problem.

brandonpeake
01-13-2004, 11:47 AM
ever met someone who dont know anything yet you cant tell them anything
well he is one of those people, this was his 1st sport 4 wheeler and he knows nothing but he thinks he knows everything

but i cant figure out why its doing the smoking, its ridden very little and thats alot of oil usage, i dont know what kind he was using i think the honda oil but i had him switch to golden spectro to see if that helps out

CJ400EX
01-13-2004, 01:30 PM
How did he break it in?
What type of oil & weight is he using?
This does sound like an engine problem.
When did he notice the blue smoke?
Did he change anything just before he notice the blue smoke?
Has he notice any power loss?
Is the bike running hot? or has he noticed
What does the spark plug look like?

Just a few ?'s

brandonpeake
01-13-2004, 01:36 PM
i know nothing has been changed besides what ive mentioned above,as far as break in , oil weight etc i dont know
he came up to go riding with us and he stayed with my friend and he was changing his oil and he asked me how much oil my 400 uses and i said what and he said does yours get about 1/2 a qt low between changes and i said no , and i was like thats alot of oil, it only holds 2 qts
then he said he rode it hard and i laughed b/c i ve rode with him and he cant ride, but i dont figure he broke it in right but he seems to change to oil regularly
i just thought it was odd

CJ400EX
01-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Does he put in 2 qts?
I have seen people drain the oil buy the motor & @ the resevor. Then they change the oil filter. Then they fill it up until full, but they do not run the motor. When they go riding & check the oil it is low. :confused:
Run the motor after you change & put in fresh oil. Wait for 5 min let the oil drain back down & check then check it.

This is something he may not be doing

phebus
01-13-2004, 04:33 PM
The key point here is "blue smoke from the exhaust". He is burning oil so I would look at rings or valve guides. I would take it to a mechanic and him do a leak down test, and see where the problem lies.

brandonpeake
01-14-2004, 07:20 AM
i dont know all of his techniques he is basically a friend of a friend
but i found it hard to believe he 03 was using that much oil, i guess he is doing something wrong

kgbg
01-14-2004, 12:04 PM
I ask again: What type and vis. of oil is he using?
Do not switch to a synthetic oil, that could be part of the problem
Find out what type of oil, and weight.
If a compression check was done when it was new (I always do), you could do one now to compare.