View Full Version : WHOOO!...I almost fell for this one

veddersbetter
01-13-2004, 06:43 AM
I just recieved this email.......

Dear Citibank-Online Member,

This message was ssent by the Citibank sevrer to veerify your e-mail
address. You must cmotlpee this pceorss by clicking on the link
below and enntering in the smmall window your Citi-bank Debit
Card number and CARD PIN that you use on local Atm.
This is done for your potcretion -G- becouse some of our membres no
lgnoer have acsces to their email adersesds and we must verify it.

To veerify your e-mail addres and akcess your Citicard account, click on
the link bellow. If ntohing happens when you clic on the link -h copye
and pastte the link into the addres bar of your window.

I didnt change a thing......if someone is smart enough to set up a computer to steal your cc # ...why cant they spell?

Pappy
01-13-2004, 06:46 AM
yeah thats all over the news here today. damn scammers:mad: atleast this one is friggon stupid and cant spell:p

ATC Crazy
01-13-2004, 07:16 AM
Damn good thing you didn't do it.:eek:

RytM1
01-13-2004, 07:34 AM
Part of the reason for the bad grammar is that this may be a Russian or Nigerian-based organization. I am currently investigating about 12 Ebay scams in which peoples Ebay accounts were "hijacked/hacked" by a Russian-based company. Someone applies for a job with this company via an internet job listing such as monster.com, believing the company is legit. The company then inserts the applicants information in the Ebay account, and this applicant is advised to accept payments and shipments, taking their portion of the money, and sending/wiring the money/merchandise where they are advised to. In the cases I am investigating, everything went to Russia.

I also recovered two "stolen" credit cards in which both were actual accounts, with the real cardholders names on them, but someone who had access to the card number, and card verification/PIN number on the back of the card, was able to access the account and change the mailing address (to the job applicant mentioned above).

The sad thing is that it is hard to prosecute these organizations because there are few, if any laws against computer fraud in Russia, Nigeria, etc. The only thing that can be done is to try and shut down their immediate means of doing this, which is only a temporary fix. This is only one of the many scams, and ways that they get your information (and I'm glad to hear that you didn't fall for it Vedder). I have also solicited the help of the US Postal Inspectors, who have also been working for a number of months with the FBI and Secret Service to try and track a Russian organization doing this. Hopefully they are going to rattle a few cages.

Maybe one of these days, I will get around to posting an information thread about something like this, as well as information on the three major credit reporting agencies, that you can call and set up a "Fraud Alert" with. This way, if anyone tries to open up new credit accounts in your name, the creditor will have to call and verify that it is actually you.

nipps85
01-13-2004, 01:55 PM
RytM1... What do you mean investigating? Are you a cop? I have a friend in Lake County that investigates computer crimes. He's on the cyber crimes task force or something like that. He got trained on Encase also. Good luck...

exriderdude
01-13-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by RytM1
Part of the reason for the bad grammar is that this may be a Russian or Nigerian-based organization. I am currently investigating about 12 Ebay scams in which peoples Ebay accounts were "hijacked/hacked" by a Russian-based company. Someone applies for a job with this company via an internet job listing such as monster.com, believing the company is legit. The company then inserts the applicants information in the Ebay account, and this applicant is advised to accept payments and shipments, taking their portion of the money, and sending/wiring the money/merchandise where they are advised to. In the cases I am investigating, everything went to Russia.

I also recovered two "stolen" credit cards in which both were actual accounts, with the real cardholders names on them, but someone who had access to the card number, and card verification/PIN number on the back of the card, was able to access the account and change the mailing address (to the job applicant mentioned above).

The sad thing is that it is hard to prosecute these organizations because there are few, if any laws against computer fraud in Russia, Nigeria, etc. The only thing that can be done is to try and shut down their immediate means of doing this, which is only a temporary fix. This is only one of the many scams, and ways that they get your information (and I'm glad to hear that you didn't fall for it Vedder). I have also solicited the help of the US Postal Inspectors, who have also been working for a number of months with the FBI and Secret Service to try and track a Russian organization doing this. Hopefully they are going to rattle a few cages.

Maybe one of these days, I will get around to posting an information thread about something like this, as well as information on the three major credit reporting agencies, that you can call and set up a "Fraud Alert" with. This way, if anyone tries to open up new credit accounts in your name, the creditor will have to call and verify that it is actually you.

oooo:o so your like an FBI/CIA type dude.... thats totally bad*****:devil: :cool: