PDA

View Full Version : Another shifting question...

NeonImpact
01-12-2004, 08:08 PM
yea i searched but found nothing..

do i HAVE to use my clutch when shifting into gears other than first?

i mean does it hurt anything at all???

I always let off the gas whether it be shifting up or down, but im just curious..

thanks..

xc400ex
01-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Some people will say its really bad others wont. Ive owned 5 sport quads with clutches and I have a riding style that most of the time I dont use the clutch and ive yet to have transmission problems.

remlapr
01-12-2004, 09:28 PM
I always use the clutch for the first lap racing XC, after that sometime I do sometimes I don't, just depends if I can still pull it in or not LOL.

Seriously - you should always use the clutch!

dirtmomma
01-12-2004, 09:35 PM
I always get the same thing...........DON'T use your clutch, DO use your clutch blah blah blah so now I just do both it jsut depends on what kind of mood I'm in & how fast I need to shift LOL mostly on the flattrack I DON'T use it once I take off, but out trail riding I usually always use it.

NeonImpact
01-12-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
I always get the same thing...........DON'T use your clutch, DO use your clutch blah blah blah so now I just do both it jsut depends on what kind of mood I'm in & how fast I need to shift LOL mostly on the flattrack I DON'T use it once I take off, but out trail riding I usually always use it.

yea you do just about what i do..

thanks for the fast replies guys!

44oEX
01-13-2004, 05:14 AM
as long as you don't have a yamaha you sould be ok. THe hondas have a good trans with is more then I can say for the yamahas.

dirtmomma
01-13-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by 44oEX
as long as you don't have a yamaha you sould be ok. THe hondas have a good trans with is more then I can say for the yamahas.

Our Yamaha doesn't do too bad I think it's how hard you hammer it. The trans was trashed when we got it but haven't had any problems w/ it like that, the guy before us had broken shift forks ect it was pretty nasty. WE've just had to put clutch's in thats it!! But it gets rode/raced VERY hard so tahts too be expected!!

simoniz
01-13-2004, 09:41 AM
Good question, I don't use mine unless I have to. And have done that for a while with no problems. But in the back of my head I'm always a little scared that I'm harming the Tranny.