PDA

View Full Version : Want to start a business, need Ideas

sprtrx300ex
01-12-2004, 02:02 PM
I was thinking about starting my own business after I graduate from High school.

I was thinking about starting a custom quad shop, but there really isnt a high demand for custom built quads.

I want to start a business that combnes my interest in quads with an industry that has high product demands, and of course, good money.

Any ideas?

Honda4trax250x
01-12-2004, 02:05 PM
dealership? repair shop?, sell/fix other things too, like snowmobiles, jetskis, dirtbikes etc

wilkin250r
01-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Generally, a person has a skill, and sees a demand for it, and thus opens up a business.

You are going about it the opposite direction. You want to open up a business, and you're looking for a demand.

Good luck, I have a feeling you are going to need it...

MOFO
01-12-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Generally, a person has a skill, and sees a demand for it, and thus opens up a business.

You are going about it the opposite direction. You want to open up a business, and you're looking for a demand.

Good luck, I have a feeling you are going to need it...

...or see's a demand un-answered and develops the skills necessary to answer the demand.

sprtrx300ex
01-12-2004, 02:40 PM
I was thinking about maybe selling a wide range of aftermarket parts, and eventually start manufacturing my own. Do you guys think this would be a good as far profit?

Glow Plug
01-12-2004, 03:32 PM
first if your wanting to start your own shop, you going to need alot of money to start it up, and then to make your own aftermarket parts your going to need even more money. But if you have the drive to do it then go for it like winkin said your going to need luck, So good luck :)

Atreyu
01-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Sell bibles.

sprtrx300ex
01-12-2004, 03:44 PM
What parts/services do you guys feel the quad industry is in need of?

brian-250
01-12-2004, 05:39 PM
move to indiana and start an ATVs onley offroad park:D ;)

Brad
01-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by sprtrx300ex
What parts/services do you guys feel the quad industry is in need of?

sell something other companies make like trash, like dg...but ac and prm are there. like go out and look at your quad. ride your quad, then see what you would make better, then you have an idea and possibly a start.

buy demolished quads, like fixer projects, fix them up and sell em for a profit, then sell the old parts you dont use anymore. run it out of your garage, make a graphics kit, buy some duct tape call it custom who knows.who knows you could end up like k and k.

sprtrx300ex
01-12-2004, 06:15 PM
I was thinking about making belly skids, light covers, and possibly graphics. any other ideas?

Berry
01-12-2004, 06:25 PM
maybe go too an ITT Tech school or some kind of votec classes about it. or maybe find a shop at a dealership being a mechanic that way you can be around everything and get too know how everything works!

sprtrx300ex
01-12-2004, 06:31 PM
I am currently in an IT graphic arts class and will be takin it for a few more years. Any ideas how i can use my computer knowledge in the motorcycle industry?

Berry
01-12-2004, 06:36 PM
start a site selling aftermarket parts like rockymountainatvs.com

TheX1992
01-12-2004, 06:47 PM
call nacs racing or whatever and say you want to start a franchise. you'll need a good chunk of change but you get alot of parts for dirt cheap to sell (should at least)

crap-banshee32
01-12-2004, 07:03 PM
custom make your own quads!! from scratch!!! might take awhile...but im sure it would make good money in the end:)
hehe

good luck with whatever u decide to do man.....

nick

Glamis400ex
01-12-2004, 08:00 PM
How about you start a company that sells aftermarket products....at a fair price, instead of gouging us for a 600% profit and us having us by the short hairs like all the rest of them...WOW, what a concept.

Glamis

toby400ex
01-12-2004, 08:39 PM
I wanna open a dealership that happens to sell aftermarket parts after Im out of college. But thats like 7 years away, or 6 i guess.

OldQuadDad
01-12-2004, 09:09 PM
glowplug is right, it will take thousands of $ to open your own shop and sell bikes, parts and all the clothing.
when we go to the parts store near us they never have what we need in stock. we have to pay for it then they order it. theres 2 bike shops in our town and there both owned by the same guy.
his shop has got to alot of peaple that bring thier bikes in for repair or tune ups. they do a half*** job on the repair every time the owner brings it in. pretty soon the owner gets tired of his machine not being reliable and trades it in on a new one. the shop owner then sells the used bike to the next poor mill worker that wants to buy a toy for his son and cha'ching$$$, the blood sucking begins again. sorry to go on so long but these guys really suck.
what ever you get into repeat customers will make a big difference to a small bussiness.

hosted
01-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Yeah, just start out small and make some stuff that people want. Get ideas from the want ads and stuff like that. Then sell exhausts, wheels, tires, and other stuff like that. If you could come up with some cool concepts on bumpers, graphics, skids, and air scoops. Everyone has got to start somewhere, just start designing some cool stuff, and people will buy it.