View Full Version : Removing Tires from stock Rims

kaneman23
02-21-2002, 11:43 AM
How in the world do you get the tires off the stock rims? I have a 00' 400ex and I can't get the freakin tires off because they glued them on? I hate to discard good rims just because I can't get the tires off. I have taken them to my buddies shop with a tire machine and he can't get them off. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks,
Justin

Scott
02-21-2002, 11:55 AM
We all have experienced that same "joy". Only thing I can tell you is you have two options. First one is to find a shop that has the tire machine that works with the tire placed vertiaclly instead of the more common horizontal machines. The machine with the tire placedvertically and the arm coming in horizontally from the side is the only one I've seen that has had any luck breaking down the factory mounts.

Option 2 is if the tires are completely trashed and you're going to throw them away, you can use the old sawz-all method and cut them off the rim, being carefull not to cut the rim. Aluminum doesn't put up much of a fight against a sawzall.

Good luck.

CHAR250R
02-21-2002, 12:26 PM
I have a bead breaker from James Lucky. I broke all the beads on my 400ex stock tires with it. No bull****. I may have been lucky and got a set with no glue!

02-21-2002, 12:32 PM
first off you need to leave like 3 psi for them to come off,,,second cut the sucka's off if ya don't need them,,or buy a bead braker..here's link to the one I'm about to buy..

http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=13610&prmenbr=6970

cbrown400ex
02-21-2002, 12:32 PM
You may be able to get them off. I recently put new front tires on my stock wheels and I got one off and had to cut the other off.
How are you trying to get them off? Back you car or truck up and use an old timey car jack. Take a hammer and beat it in between the bead an the rim. If this doesn't work(it may take some time and a lot of elbow grease) you can cut them off. You should be able to get at least one side off. Cut the other side about 2 inches above the rim, then comes the fun part. Every tire has several strands of wire around the inner bead. You will have to cut or break them all to get that piece of tire off. If you do not want your old tires just cut them off. Either way it is extremely difficult to get them off. I took a screwdriver and broke all of the strands. A saw might work better though. Hope this helps. CJ

Scott
02-21-2002, 12:35 PM
Obviously the bead breaker is the best way to go, but sometimes you have to use "alternate methods."

roostfrom250ex
02-21-2002, 12:45 PM
I took mine to the honda shop and they had a press with a attachment slightly larger than the wheel.
It took em 30 minutes to take the stockers off and put razrs on.
$15 per tire.
Still have the originals with no damage.

Gecko
02-21-2002, 01:51 PM
I went to Discount Tire Company. Don't know if they exist in your part of the country, but less than 10 minutes later I had my new tires mounted and ready to go. $6.50 per tire...

You can buy new tires and rims and just send me your old stock rims :D :D :D

Leo
02-21-2002, 03:56 PM
I took mine to work and used the tire machine :D

The fronts were a bit tricky to break the bead on.. but the tire machine still got 'em.. :)

Leo

R-Crazy
02-21-2002, 08:35 PM
is there anyway to do it at home without cutting the tire?

dave

kaneman23
02-21-2002, 09:46 PM
I tried the sawzall method and still cant get the damn rubber out of the beads. I could probably find away but it isn't going to be easy. I have never seen clue this F'n strong!! Somebody must have laced mine with some polydent or something...lol..

roostfrom250ex
02-22-2002, 05:17 AM
What if you used a 4 1/2 " right angle grinder and kinda just shave away at it in one spot?

cbrown400ex
02-22-2002, 07:39 AM
kaneman get it to where you can see the strands of wire, then take a large screwdiver and shove it between them and the rim and pop it up. It took me about 10 min of doing this before they were all broke. CJ

Scott
02-22-2002, 07:51 AM
or a pair of sidecuts.

Bspring
02-22-2002, 08:26 AM
Trust us, it is not the glue that is giving you the problem. You have got to cut those wires in the tire right next to the rim. It is a lot of hard work but when you get the last wire cut it will pop right off the rim. Don’t mess up the rim or your next tire will not hold air! I cut the tire until I could get to the wires and then used a die grinder until I got close to the rim and finished up with some big wire cutters.

kaneman23
02-22-2002, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the tips fellas. The driving the truck over the tires trick was the first method I tried and didn't succeed. I then sawzalled one of the tires all the way around on both sides and couldn't get the glue out of the bead. I will try the screwdriver trick this weekend. Going to take some elbow grease but I will do it damn it!!

Justin

R-Crazy
02-22-2002, 11:24 PM
seems like a lot of work when you can get it done at a shop for a few bucks.

dave

outlaw319
02-23-2002, 01:12 PM
one way that I broke tires down was to take 2 pair of C- clamp style vice grips to squeeze the tire in, then I use an air chisle with a dull chisle bit to knock the bead loose " just be carefull not to be the rim up" This work for me alot of times in about 5 min or less!

Bspring
02-25-2002, 08:18 AM
Outlaw, that sounds like a good trick, I will have to try that my self sometime. An air chisle can work wonders at times.