PDA

View Full Version : Line-X in stead of pc?

Martin Blair
01-11-2004, 08:35 PM
has anyone ever tried line-xing parts, i think that would be extremely tough because its like plastic. Me and my dad are looking for alternatives to pcing my parts we also thought of emeron paint, its a 2 stage epoxy paint that drys like plastic, its used on battleships.

derekhonda
01-11-2004, 08:56 PM
i actually bought a fourwheeler that had a "spray on liner" coating on it, it started to crack off first tree i met :rolleyes:

try that por 15 stuff, its supposed to be nice too

JOEX
01-11-2004, 09:00 PM
My friend put it on the racks of his wifes Lakota. It works ok, but the bunjee cord hooks have scraped some of it off. If you care how it looks don't do it.

Joe

Martin Blair
01-11-2004, 09:01 PM
i never thought or crashing, but i dont plan on taht happening i was just wondering if it would work, im gogin to call up the lin-x people tommrow and see how thick it is, and if they would even do it.

K_Fulk
01-11-2004, 09:06 PM
The bed liner stuff is heavy and would add some weight. Emron paint would work pretty good but it would be cheaper to just get your frame powdercoated after you bought that paint.

marksuttonjr
01-11-2004, 09:07 PM
A lot of guys use bed liner material on utility racks...

Rhino Liner will be soft like rubber. Linex will be very hard, and hold up much better. You can also buy spray cans at Wal Mart that have a hard material like Line x, but they don't hold up well. The spray cans are just like spraying paint. I have used the cheap spray cans, and Rhino Liner on racks without much success. The Rhino liner is suposed to have a lifetime warrenty, but after the racks needed redone the 3rd time I was told that the warranty was void because I subjected it to abnormal abbuse. I keep rubbing thru it on the front corners on the front rack, and the front bumper. I guess that I run thru tooooo much brush, and push too much with the quad. I will be doing Line X next time I have the racks off. I am also thinking about having my R a arks done when I get the Rancher racks done.

A word of advise... IF you get parts coated in bed liner of any kind keep it sprayed good with WD 40 so that the dirt will wash out of the crevices easily. If you do not keep it coated in oil it will look dull because it collects so much dirt that will not come out easily when washing...

Martin Blair
01-11-2004, 09:22 PM
im doing more then the frame the emeron is 100 a gallon since we have a compresor and my dad and i would do it after painting a few of his vans it would be cheaper im doign the a arms, frame, subframe and swingarm, possably the nerfs, i am calling line-x tommrow to get a price estament. I was wodnering how to p[lug the wholes? use corks or buy a bunch of cheap bolts and put in all the bolt whos or what?

JOEX
01-11-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by marksuttonjr
A lot of guys use bed liner material on utility racks...

Rhino Liner will be soft like rubber. Linex will be very hard, and hold up much better. You can also buy spray cans at Wal Mart that have a hard material like Line x, but they don't hold up well. The spray cans are just like spraying paint. I have used the cheap spray cans, and Rhino Liner on racks without much success. The Rhino liner is suposed to have a lifetime warrenty, but after the racks needed redone the 3rd time I was told that the warranty was void because I subjected it to abnormal abbuse. I keep rubbing thru it on the front corners on the front rack, and the front bumper. I guess that I run thru tooooo much brush, and push too much with the quad. I will be doing Line X next time I have the racks off. I am also thinking about having my R a arks done when I get the Rancher racks done.

A word of advise... IF you get parts coated in bed liner of any kind keep it sprayed good with WD 40 so that the dirt will wash out of the crevices easily. If you do not keep it coated in oil it will look dull because it collects so much dirt that will not come out easily when washing...
Intersting, I didn't know different brands had different hardness. I don't know what brand my friend used but it is the softer kind.

Abnormal abuse? Is that opposed to 'normal' abuse?:p lol!

Joe

Martin Blair
01-11-2004, 09:32 PM
so should i try it i dont think it would add that much wieght, and i think it would llok good, but i might just stick with nthe emeron i can elave the stock pc on that way if it chips the stock pc protects the frame

K_Fulk
01-11-2004, 09:34 PM
I would do the emeron before the bedliner stuff but thats just me.

Martin Blair
01-11-2004, 09:47 PM
yeah i want it to look nice as well and the meron looks sweet so i think i will do it i can get a gallon, the harderner and thinner for 100 maybe get them to metal flake it for 20 more and do my frame sub frame, a arms, swinger and nerfs for 120.

marksuttonjr
01-12-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Abnormal abuse? Is that opposed to 'normal' abuse?:p lol!

Joe

Thats kinda what I thaught when they used it for an excuse not to coat them again. They did give 1/2 my $$ back, but I was still prety pissed about the deal. Evidentaly they did not like the places where the racks kept coming into contact with huge rocks. The rubbery stuff like Rhino liner just peals off after it has been damaged like the rocks were doing. The harder stuff does not peal or flake off. The cheap spray can stuff will wear off rather quickly though when having trees and brier bushes rubbing against it all of the time. I am going to try the LineX next. It is hard, and seems to hold up much better in a truck bed than anything I have tried on racks.

The LineX might look prety good on a frame, and will hold up better than any paint or PC that I have seen. Yes it will add a few more pounds over the paint and paint will add a few lbs over PC, but big deal. 4-5 lbs does not make that much difference anyway. I would consider it on my R when the PC needs redone. In fact the A arms might get it when the Rancher racks get done.