PDA

View Full Version : stock shock settings for xc racing???

cbrown400ex
02-21-2002, 11:18 AM
How should I set my front and rear shocks for xc racing? There will only be a few jumps so I figured as soft as possible would work the best. Any suggetions or advice would be great. Thanks CJ

02-21-2002, 11:27 AM
I never raced cross country,,but have rode in the woods on trails many times and setting the preload on the fronts to full soft and setting the rear compression to full soft,,,was the best results I found and the smoothest ride,,it really soaked up the small stuff compared to the settings from the factory..

cbrown400ex
02-21-2002, 11:31 AM
Is it possible to change the pre-load on the front shocks w/o that special tool? If so what is th easiest way you have found? CJ

02-21-2002, 12:29 PM
the largest wrench, channel locks, or pliers ya got,,,prop up the front end to reduce the tension on the springs. It'll turn real easy.

02-21-2002, 05:31 PM
I compressed my stock shocks a little by using one of those steel hose clamps..... I put it through a few of the coils and tightened it up until the shock was loose enough to turn the adjuster.

SGA
02-21-2002, 10:38 PM
I run X/C & run the stock shocks. I run the front 1 from the softest setting. You might be able to run the softest, but then you might get body roll, depends on how much you weigh. I'm 190 Pounds. On the rear leave the rebound alone, turn the compression (top screw) all the way in, then out 2 1/2 turns. 3 turns out is full soft. You can adjust the fronts with some channel locks.

cbrown400ex
02-22-2002, 07:36 AM
It's funny I adjusted them last night and set them exactly like you said. I haven't got to try it yet, but softer has to be better for long races. CJ