PDA

View Full Version : ticking noise?

cals400ex
01-11-2004, 07:03 PM
my friends bike always ticked pretty bad no matter how the valves were adjusted. he then put in a stage 1 cam and it is pretty bad now. it makes sense that it will be louder than stock though. we are not sure why. the timing chain tensioner retracts like it is suppose to, however i don't know if those can be faulty if it retracts. we thought about the timing chain, but we don't know. his idle is not really low, so it shouldn't be the timing chain slapping around. i don't know if the valves or springs could cause this ticking noise or not? any suggestions would be great.

bmw500hp
01-11-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
my friends bike always ticked pretty bad no matter how the valves were adjusted. he then put in a stage 1 cam and it is pretty bad now. it makes sense that it will be louder than stock though. we are not sure why. the timing chain tensioner retracts like it is suppose to, however i don't know if those can be faulty if it retracts. we thought about the timing chain, but we don't know. his idle is not really low, so it shouldn't be the timing chain slapping around. i don't know if the valves or springs could cause this ticking noise or not? any suggestions would be great.

About a year or so ago alot of the bikes round here that used Hotcams ticked loudly....how old was the cam? also ask the member "Hotex"....good luck!

03400EX_Nacs
01-11-2004, 08:32 PM
what kind of bike is it?

speedy400
01-11-2004, 08:37 PM
mine never ticked much, before or after the hotcam stg 2, as you know cal I pretty much have the same set up as you except stg 2, I've never had any problems...sorry I can't help much-darren

WhiteBros400ex
01-11-2004, 08:47 PM
If its a 400ex i had the same problem and it was my crank shaft and connecting rod and connecting rod bearing so i had to get a new crank shaft and connecting rod and bearing so i just got a new piston to and now its a 416.Take it to the shop and let them look at it.

BSTURDIVANT
01-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Cam chain!!

WhiteBros400ex
01-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Everyoen told me it was the cam cahin to but turned out to be all that, its hard to to tell unless we hear it lol . But i think you should take it to a shop to get fiixed before it becomes worse.
Good luck keep us updated

cals400ex
01-12-2004, 02:47 PM
darren, actually i am running a stage 2 also, but it is my friend running the stage 1. the stage 1 is not one with the flanged pressed on from hotcams, but it is not loose either. i am not thinking it is the cam because his valves ticked worse when he had the stock cam in then mine do with a stage 2 in. i can't imagine him taking it to the shop unless something bad happens. we also don't trust our dealer around here too much as they have made a few mistakes on our bikes in the past.

sorry guys, it is a 400ex.

pnut420
01-12-2004, 09:54 PM
From what Ive heard from other stage 1 owners is the stage 1 seems to make a little ticking noise and is actually ouder than the stage 2 cam, I had the stage 2 cam in mine and it was quieter than when I had my stock cam in their.

cals400ex
01-13-2004, 08:12 AM
ok, well i have a little update. the bike almost seems to be getting worse. when you start revving the bike a little bit you will feel some vibration throughout the bike. it hard to explain but it almost seems like your driving a predator. at full throttle around peak rpms, you can hear the ticking in there. maybe he should try another cam, i don't know. maybe i will have him check all of the motor mounts and make sure they are tight. the only other thing i could think of is that his rear bearings are starting to go out. there is a little play in the rear wheels, but i wouldn't think this would cause the vibration. without a doubt, it does tick louder than normal.