PDA

View Full Version : My R

marksuttonjr
01-11-2004, 05:56 PM
I have posted quite a bit about this quad, but never put any pics. of it up on here. It is prety well an ongoing project, and will be for as long as I own it.
Keep in mind this is a trail bike, and not a race bike.

86 250R frame
87 engine
CR style 69 mm wiseco pro lite piston
mild port and polished for mid range
5mm spacer plate
head milled .010
Boysen RAD valve
38 mm Keihin race carb
K&N filter, pre filter & pre filter air box lid
Curtis Sparks MX pipe & silencer
factory R shock rear & 400 EX shocks front (I like the ride of these shocks much better than any quad I have ridden with aftermarket shocks that were suposed to be valved correctly for someone close to my weight)
Lone Star Excalibur axel adjustable from stock width to +4
billet bearing carier with double wide bearings
full boar plastic
ceet gripper style seat cover
unknown brand nerf bars
PEP stearing stabilizer
PRM 6 pack rack
Cat Eye computer (speedometer, clock, hour meter, odometer, and trip odometer)
ESR in line water temp gauge
Douglas Blue lable 8X8 Rear wit 18X11 Turf Tamers
Stock front tires & wheels from a 400EX
Misc. billet and polished parts
I am sure that I forgot to list a few things

Some parts were not yet installed in the pics, but you can get the idea.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid94/p108b1e9e42f84980d2ff949c768ff5f2/fa37f2f7.jpg

Moccasin Gap trails in Arkansas

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid94/p8103423a22a8c09eb18f845f47304993/fa37f302.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid94/pd0d8144da1d628915d0120ee20a16019/fa37f307.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid94/p255cea2a1506c31884ace10500b59d6b/fa380812.jpg
Home

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid94/p180991f640678f781b3db84cf2f52ce8/fa38081c.jpg

Home

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid94/p717d1c2e9b53461f0d3f6900f8611230/fa38080f.jpg

Home

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid94/p04cc9dfe85043f3b641378e080bfcea5/fa3813ff.jpg

Land Between The Lakes camp site

Toadz400
01-11-2004, 06:30 PM
nice R! I've always wanted one...had to settle for a nice EX and Shee though :p

btw, what kind of Suzuki is that in the background in the last picture?

2001400ex
01-11-2004, 06:41 PM
Nice R, those trails and that little stream place look like a beautiful place to ride man I wish I had trails like that by me.:(

marksuttonjr
01-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the compliments on the R... I want to keep it relatively plain looking since it's just a woods bike. I see NO need in a lot of bling bling getting beat around over rocks, over logd thru brus and thru water deeper than a sport quad should realy be in. I figured that I would have people saying that it looked too plain. Since the pics I have polished the clutch cover, stator cover, added the nerfs, stearing damper, temp gage, chrome excaliber axel, and a polished SCM case saver. Other than that I think it is cosmeticaly the same as it was in the last pic. It has tank stickers that were only on it in the last pic., and aren't realy visible in the pic. They are black flames with 250R in red and blue.

The trails in Arkansas are the most beautiful trails I have ridden. I have been out there 2 times so far. There isn't much like that around here either. I just hope that people do not start trashing the place in Arkansas like a lot of places I have ridden. As long as it stays beatuiful and the horseback riders do not decide to try running the quads out I will go there every May.

I that last pic. it is actualy an 88 or 89 Honda TRX 200 utility. I had to look at the pic. to see because there are sometimes 2 Suzukies that ride with us, but that is not 1 of them. It is a actualy nice little quad for the 11 year old who rides it, but I would not want to ride it much.

Toadz400
01-12-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by marksuttonjr
I that last pic. it is actualy an 88 or 89 Honda TRX 200 utility. I had to look at the pic. to see because there are sometimes 2 Suzukies that ride with us, but that is not 1 of them. It is a actualy nice little quad for the 11 year old who rides it, but I would not want to ride it much.

I was asking because it looks like my old 1984 LT185, the thing is a beast:p No suspension in the back though, solid frame, and in the front the shocks are stiffer than...well...they're pretty darn stiff:huh

rollie
01-14-2004, 07:00 PM
thats an awsome bike!:) i think i would look nice with a carbon fiber hood... looks good though!

rollie
01-14-2004, 07:01 PM
acually i like the fullbores. i didnt realize those where fullbores!:) :blah:

LathersR
01-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Thats a helluva nice pic with u by the water with the 400ex and ur 250r.. Nice scenery.. seems so yuo go riding alot.. and dont have much porbs with your R.. nice quad man

wwclea01
01-14-2004, 08:50 PM
reminds me a little of minehttp://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid98/pc67f1cb09ba51f977356f219b486e798/fa00da59.jpg

marksuttonjr
01-15-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by LathersR
Thats a helluva nice pic with u by the water with the 400ex and ur 250r.. Nice scenery.. seems so yuo go riding alot.. and dont have much porbs with your R.. nice quad man

Yeah that is a beautiful pic. and that is a beautiful area to ride. I have an 8X10 of a pic. close to that. I was on the rock above the quads and my cousin who rides the EX was on the rock at the other side of that creek. The quads were rite wjhere they are in that pic.

As for problems with the R.
Quad customs in Tennesee suposedly did the restore on it rite before I purchased it in May of 03. The guy had the receipts for all new parts on it and labor that they charged.

I have already replaced every bearing on the quad because they were not properly replaced. Some idiot left out all the spacers between them, and did not grease them at all.

I have rebuilt the engine. Some even bigger idiot did not have the dowels lined up properly when installing the jug, but torqued it down anyway causint the jug to be tiltetd slightly to the side. That caused a lot of damage. Also the crank was junk. It did not fit tight in new crank bearings. They had it JB welded to the ones that had been in it to keep the ratteling down.

I have a hard time keping a chain on it. I keep breaking the splice links. I purchased several at one time and evidentaly they had a flaw or something.

So I have had my share of problems. I could have prevented most of them IF I had not assumed that Quad Customs knew what they were doing when they built it.

JTRtrx250r
01-16-2004, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by marksuttonjr
Yeah that is a beautiful pic. and that is a beautiful area to ride. I have an 8X10 of a pic. close to that. I was on the rock above the quads and my cousin who rides the EX was on the rock at the other side of that creek. The quads were rite wjhere they are in that pic.

As for problems with the R.
Quad customs in Tennesee suposedly did the restore on it rite before I purchased it in May of 03. The guy had the receipts for all new parts on it and labor that they charged.

I have already replaced every bearing on the quad because they were not properly replaced. Some idiot left out all the spacers between them, and did not grease them at all.

I have rebuilt the engine. Some even bigger idiot did not have the dowels lined up properly when installing the jug, but torqued it down anyway causint the jug to be tiltetd slightly to the side. That caused a lot of damage. Also the crank was junk. It did not fit tight in new crank bearings. They had it JB welded to the ones that had been in it to keep the ratteling down.

I have a hard time keping a chain on it. I keep breaking the splice links. I purchased several at one time and evidentaly they had a flaw or something.

So I have had my share of problems. I could have prevented most of them IF I had not assumed that Quad Customs knew what they were doing when they built it. Damn dude....thats not good:rolleyes: :( :confused: WTF???

marksuttonjr
01-16-2004, 06:05 PM
No it's not good, but I did learn a veerrryyyy valuable leason..
NEVER TRUST A RACE SHOP TO DO THE WORK ON YOUR QUAD!!!!

The guy had receipts for just about everything so there is verry little chance that he lied to me about who built the quad. I have most of the buggs worked out now though. I do ride it a lot so a few problems should be expected.

The only problem it still has is an engine noise that I can not figure out, but it runs great so I'm going to run it till it blows up again. It sounds like a clutch basket, or wore bearing. I hoped that the noise would not be there when I rebuilt it after scattering the top end, but it still is. Everything measures withing Honda specs. I replaced the crank all engine and tranny bearings, counter ballence, the clutch basket, inner clutch hub, and clutch fibers so there should be absolutly no way it rattles.