PDA

View Full Version : reasons behind the delay

chad502ex
01-11-2004, 10:24 AM
Hey ALL,
Spoke with "HONDA" at the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show last evening,..... "HONDA" indicated that the delay was due to HONDA's disappointment that the new 450R did not exceed thier expectations to deem it better than the 250r. In other words, they were slightly disappointed with the overall performance (shocks or motor?) and held it back (delayed) to be sure that the new 450r would be superior to the ol' 250r. I also heard from them that they were also including some "tweeking" to increase the ponies a little more than it has. Just repeating what the technical HONDA contact indicated at the show in DC last evening. "tweeking" does not include changing any specifications of the motor (like bore/stroke, ect.) because HONDA has already "agreed upon and published the specs,.... hmmm, then what could they do then? Anyway, other rumors flying around about the delay is that HONDA is having last minute problems with "a part manufacture failing under extreme conditions" (possibly fnt. shocks) and has reported to dealers (via fax) that the delay should end by the end of the month. Last night, HONDA did indicate that they intend to satisfy all 1500 HONDA dealers with one 450r each before flooding with the rest of their inventory.

I have pictures to upload but I don't seem to have the "attach" file button at the bottom to upload. Any suggestions?

Oh, my dealer has confirmation from HONDA that they are getting one the 28th and four more the 30th. Mine will be there the 30th. :)
chad502ex.com

Guy400
01-11-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by chad502ex
I also heard from them that they were also including some "tweeking" to increase the ponies a little more than it has.They delayed the shipment because they're now all coming off the production line with a K&N to boost ponies :eek: :eek2: j/k:blah:

I heard it was because of front shock failure rates that were higher than they were content with having.

Fred55
01-11-2004, 11:19 AM
Chad, email the pictures to me and I will try to see if I can host them. Tom_111@hotmail.com

chad502ex
01-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Fred55
Chad, email the pictures to me and I will try to see if I can host them. Tom_111@hotmail.com

thx fred!! I now understand thanks to Guy400, that only paying members are able to post pictures for members to view. A picture is worth a thousand words and sometimes it's earier to illustrate than to describe or type a book. The pictures I have are close ups of the BAJA1k 450r that show alot of kewl xc tricks for the race.

chad502ex.com

kwatts400
01-11-2004, 11:39 AM
I was at the D.C. show Fri. night, the only person I got to talk to was a guy from a dealership in Virginia. He said the same thing to me about the performance. He also told me that he had yet to see one, and it was sitting right on the other side of the booth. I guess he didn't know their was a new Honda Aquatrax sitting right next to it either. You'd think he would know what was there before handing me his card and trying to sell me a bike. I should have taken a camera, it sure is a purdy bike in person.

C41Xracer
01-11-2004, 11:45 AM
I was told that they were have major mechanical problems in the motor

chad502ex
01-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by kwatts400
I was at the D.C. show Fri. night, the only person I got to talk to was a guy from a dealership in Virginia. He said the same thing to me about the performance. He also told me that he had yet to see one, and it was sitting right on the other side of the booth. I guess he didn't know their was a new Honda Aquatrax sitting right next to it either. You'd think he would know what was there before handing me his card and trying to sell me a bike. I should have taken a camera, it sure is a purdy bike in person.

the fella i spoke to was not a saleperson, he was techical rep. We spoke in front of both 450R's.
I snapped some great pixs of both 450r's on display, even hopped on one display and had a friend snap me smiling on the new 450r

chad502ex.com

kwatts400
01-11-2004, 12:06 PM
My girlfriend told me to just jump up on the display to check it out, but I figured it was best that I didn't try it. I think she was tired of hearing me say that I wanted to sit on the bike to check it out. Would have been nice to have talked to a real rep and not just a young salesman. I'd like to see those pics man.

chad502ex
01-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by kwatts400
My girlfriend told me to just jump up on the display to check it out, but I figured it was best that I didn't try it. I think she was tired of hearing me say that I wanted to sit on the bike to check it out. Would have been nice to have talked to a real rep and not just a young salesman. I'd like to see those pics man.

I would like to email you, pm your email addy so I can,...

chad502ex.com

chad502ex
01-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
I would like to email you, pm your email addy so I can,...

chad502ex.com

sorry kwatts400, i wasn't clear,.. i'd like to email you the pictures i snapped at the show.

chad502ex.com

kwatts400
01-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the pics Chad502ex.

ThomsonRacing
01-12-2004, 04:22 AM
From what I have heard about the motor, everyone is thinking correctly...I have posted this in a few other forums (however, some people don't want to believe me), but here it is again.

The latest I have heard is Jan 28th for the release...however, the apparent reason is that it was only making about 34 hp at the rear wheels in stock form so they decided to basically put the hrc mod kit in (at least the bigger cam anyway) straight from the factory. If Honda doesn't offer the hop-up kit, we'll know this was the real reason for the delay...if they do, I would still ask my dealer some questions before I went out and paid extra for it.

I am just glad that I went with the YFZ and wait for the TRX...don't get me wrong, I love Honda's and still have my full-race 400ex...but there is no way that the serious mxers (unless you are racing nationals consistently) are going to get the parts they need for the TRX450R by the time race season starts...in fact, most will be lucky if they even have their quad by then.

Just don't waste your money if Honda already fixes the problem!

86atc250r
01-12-2004, 11:01 AM
I really doubt Honda is doing any last minute changes. They have already published the parts manuals with all the part numbers, diagrams, etc - made press releases, and have provided magazine editors with test rides, info, etc....

As the Fax says, they are having trouble with one of their vendors - (from the sounds of it, it's a shock vendor). All the rest is purely internet speculation with little basis..

If the 450R was not performing to their expectations, they would have known about it long before now (and magazine (and "e-zine" editors) would not be writing about how it feels a little stronger than a stock YFZ).

daimon1054
01-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Honda would not push back the intro without a reason, we may never know it but you can book something was wrong. I know it is a paind to wate but would you rather have one now and it have a major or minor flaw or would you rather have it later and be right?
Honda pushed the CRF250 back for almost 6 months because they were not making the power of the YZF250 but when the let it out it was right.

stryker
01-12-2004, 02:37 PM
They say good things come to those who wait,right!! Whoever "they" are. I'm sure it will be worth all the waiting. Honda seems to have the "better off safe than sorry" approach and that's fine with me. Just as long as mine is bullet proof when I get it like my 400ex was.:)