PDA

View Full Version : oregon dunes and noise restrictions

02-21-2002, 01:59 AM
We are planning a trip up there fron the San Fran area in July. I have a 400 ex with a e-series and my wife has a 300 ex with a supertrap. Will we have to put all the stock stuff back on and rejet in order to ride up there. It seems most of you guys have aftermarket stuff on? thanks

JOEX
02-21-2002, 10:38 PM
Possibly.
We were at Florence last summer for 5 days (Sun.-Thur.) two of us on 400's with e-series and were not checked. We brought our stock pipes just in case. My understanding is that most all aftermarket pipes will not pass the sound tests. They will perform sound checks for you if you call ahead. And don't forget pemits, out of state permits are valid in Oregon.

Look here for more info:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/siuslaw/oregondunes/

Good luck and have fun!

Joe

out4sand
02-26-2002, 07:44 PM
Florence seems to be the toughest on the noise issue. Granted they all have the same rules other then sand lake where you get an extra 4db I think but the Forest Service and Rangers seem to enforce them more at Florence. I don't think your quads will have much of a problem in July as long as the packing is somewhat fresh and they are not super flashy. Typically they seem to hit the quads up that look like they are going 300 miles per hour while they are standing still, have more chrome then paint, or any banshee with T-5's. Granted if you quads sound like you are running open pipes your probably going to have some issues. You might pack your stock pipes just in case as they are suppose to give you a warning/chance to fix the noise issue before giving you a ticket.

http://out4sand.tripod.com

dune250r
02-27-2002, 06:30 PM
a word of advice when you are at the Oregon dunes. If you see one of the light green forestry trucks head your way, high tail it out of there. They are most likely on their way to sound check you. I went to Florence Oregon dunes in October and got a noise violation. My bike wasnt even started. They made me start it so they could check how loud it was. On the other hand, If you see the state patrol out there, running could get you in trouble. If you see them just steer clear.

Deathbringer
03-12-2002, 02:05 AM
This is from the horses mouth.

Sound level in Oregon is 99db
Dune sound level is 93db +/- 2db 20inches from the pipe at a 45 degree angle to the outside of the bike.

Troy86250r
03-13-2002, 09:52 PM
Hey JOEX whats this about bringing a permit? I am going to florence spring break. What is this permit for and where do I get one?

Deathbringer
03-13-2002, 10:09 PM
Normally you need a permit (like a day use pass) to park in the staging area.

Chef
03-13-2002, 10:18 PM
I think he means the OHV Tags that you are supposed to put somewhere visible on your quad... I got stopped a couple times...once when the quad wasnt even started... Just if you see one coming your way, act like you and your friends are having a race and use that excuse to go balls out and get out of there....and keep your helmets on while you are just sitting there talking in case you should have to take off fast...or just go up a very large dune or in a very tight trail...the trail will prefferably go up a hill...a very big hill...lol

Deathbringer
03-13-2002, 10:23 PM
If you have a 400ex put the tag on your tool thingy on the back.. works nice and is visible.. but can be pulled off for the next years tags...

JOEX
03-13-2002, 10:24 PM
Your ATV needs to have a permit to be ridden on public land in Oregon. It is kind of like a license plate (sticker). If you have one for your state I belive it is valid in Oregon so you don't need a specific "Oregon" sticker.

Look here for more info and vendor lists:
http://atv.prd.state.or.us/permits.php

Joe

edit- I gotta learn to type faster...

out4sand
03-14-2002, 08:35 AM
Oregon accepts WA state ORV tags so no extra tags are needed for your ATV. You will just need to pay the day use parking fee or buy a year long pass from the forest service

Deathbringer
03-14-2002, 11:39 AM
Correct.. also if you think you are going to ride more then once in a year on the Oregon Dunes..get a year pass.. Its good at any of the places and you only pay $35 versus $5-6 for each pass each time/day..

Troy86250r
03-14-2002, 06:46 PM
So all I need is the sicker I get when I register my quad and a pass for riding in the dunes? Where do I buy one of those?

Deathbringer
03-14-2002, 07:15 PM
No not really...
If you are registered in Washington then you DONT need anything for Oregon to ride on the dunes... what you DO need is a day use pass or a yearly pass.. this is NOT for your bike it is for using the dunes/toilets/parking..things like that. They have machines right there that will take your credit card or a lot of the places have patrol around and you can get it from them.. hope that helps you.

Troy86250r
03-14-2002, 08:09 PM
Ok I get it. Thanks for clearing that up.

twisted threads
03-20-2002, 02:42 PM
I agree with dune250r if you see any green truck RUN!!!!! lol
I was just there this last weekend and it was cool and no sound tickets(came close).