PDA

View Full Version : Easiest engine swap 400ex?

StreetLegalEX
01-11-2004, 06:03 AM
Guys,

My 400ex is very unreliable. I want to drop some other motor in it. Doesn't matter much how much hp it has, or if it is a 2- or 4stroke.
What does matter is that it fits with minimal modifications. (i am not that technical...)

What engine would be easy to fit in a 400ex frame?
I do want something reliable, and I would appreciate if it doesn't rattle me, or the frame, to death :)

Suggestions?

sickmojave
01-11-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by StreetLegalEX

Doesn't matter much how much hp it has,

What engine would be easy to fit in a 400ex frame?

Suggestions?

:huh The 400ex engine is very reliable when it's in fairly good shape and fits the frame really well. why not just fix the engine you have? by the time you buy another engine and make everything work, you would have way more invested than it would take to make the EX engine right. :confused:

ZSK
01-11-2004, 08:29 AM
You could even pick up a new 400ex engine to put in there. Most are around $1000 some even have stuff done to them.

StreetLegalEX
01-11-2004, 01:09 PM
Well I live in Belgium where stuff is expensive (400ex engine is about 3000), and I know Honda is reliable (mine isn't).
Is it easy to fit a DRZ400 engine in there (the one from the Z400) or something like that?
Need engine with about the same geometry as the xr400 engine.

WhiteBros400ex
01-11-2004, 09:26 PM
What makes your ex motor so unreliable mine is really reliable.

Martin Blair
01-11-2004, 09:35 PM
buy a ex motor from service honda i dont remeber what they cost but even 3000 for a new ex motor is goign to be cheaper then a Z motor and all the mods and gussets you will ahve to do, find a used motor on her that ahs a 416 or soemthign in it, ive seen then for 155 or so have in shiped over

StreetLegalEX
01-12-2004, 01:15 AM
Well, thanks for all replies but they are kindof offtopic... ;)

Well, the DRZ400 engine has 48 horses stock, so I think it would be worth the swap if I could find a used one or a complete used bike.
If it fits without much modifications, and thats my question.

My friend and I are going to check weather the mounts are somewhat the same. (judging photographs they are)

Shipping a used engine which I haven't seen running scares me....

shamisc
01-12-2004, 09:49 PM
I'm also interested in knowing what makes your 400Ex motor un-reliable??:confused: :confused2

skemp
01-12-2004, 11:56 PM
Those DRZ400 numbers are taken with the motor in a bike. Adding the axle, and heavy tires of a quad will take the number down considerably from 48hp. No doubt, however, that it makes more power than a 400ex motor in stock trim.

Just wondering, wasn't this question answered in your other thread asking basically the same question? I understand that you want to swap in a different motor, but it was already outlined that the cost involved wouldn't make sense economically.

StreetLegalEX
01-13-2004, 01:01 AM
Well actually I'm not asking about the costs but I just would like to know which engine would be easy to fit.....there are enough second hand bikes out there which could be used for swapping.

I just need to know which conversion can be done easy!

Everyone just keeps going on and on about "but Honda is so reliable" "But it would cost to much" although I appreciate your concerns, that doesn't really have much to do with this topic.
If there is an engine that would be easy to fit I can still concider if it's to pricy or not.

skemp
01-13-2004, 04:02 AM
That being said, the YZ426 and CRF450 motors will go in fairly easily and conversion parts are available. These are popular swaps. Anything else, and you are basically on your own. There aren't really any other popular swaps done besides the guys that try to put unbalanced ring dingy's into them. In reality, you could probably put any motor that you want in there (within reason). The factors that play a role are the cost, reliability, and ultimately, the rideability. This is why guys stick to the 426/450 conversions; they make sense in all aspects. The other motors either won't fit, won't make that much more power, or just plain won't last. If you really want to stick some other motor in there, get out your welder and go to work because you are on your own as far as motor mounts, braces, exhaust, and radiator/oil cooler mounting are concerned. Then you must worry about countershaft to sprocket alignment, vibration, strength, and lubrication (a lot of thumper bike motors will squeek a piston when tipped at an angle for extended periods of time due to oil runoff, something a quad is more capable of than a bike). There are many, many variables to consider; many which won't rear their ugly heads until you get the project close to completion. Usually at this point there is already considerable money and time invested.

So the choice is really up to you. Like I said, there aren't too many different conversions going down out there simply because guys stick to what works. Almost anything is possible, however, so who am I to say anything can't be done? Weigh the options, and if you have a mindset, go for it.

StreetLegalEX
01-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Thank you, that was the answer I was searching for ;)

skemp
01-13-2004, 01:44 PM
No problem. Glad to help. :)

mustang93
01-13-2004, 07:52 PM
how about a CR250 2 stroke would that fit nice? isnt the EX frame the same as the 250r? you could get a CR 250 for under $1000 and the have crazy power.

Werx615
01-13-2004, 08:14 PM
a guy i know has been researching putting the 426 in a 400ex frame and it is a considerable amount of work involved, not saying it cant be done because it has, east coast atv can do the conversion for you but you'd have to ship your frame or buy one from them, also service honda sells a 400ex with a 250r motor in it so that is possible to, as is the crf450 like skemp said, back to the guy i know who wants to put his 426 motor on a 400ex frame, he priced everything to do it and it was close to 13g's to do everything but you already have the chassis so that would bring it down some

StreetLegalEX
01-14-2004, 12:33 AM
Thanks for all replies. I solved my problem.
Decided to put a Banshee motor in.

No actually I bought the whole bike. New in box, StreetLegal! For 5700 :D:D
I still feel bad about selling the Honda, but this was a chance I couldn't pass up on...