PDA

View Full Version : ok peeples,need help,please

insaneracin2003
01-10-2004, 04:05 PM
im in a "what to buy"dilema
heres the deal,01 400ex,i have limited funds at the moment.i can either purchase a lsr axle and a couple other little goodies to finish off the rear of my quad OR get plus 2 a-arms.but my dilema is that i have stock front ohlins off of a cannondale,if i was to get +2 a-arms would my front shocks work for a lil while till i get them rebuilt to fit the a-arms?thanks

4TraxRider
01-10-2004, 07:58 PM
They would work but be soft. You can crank the pre-load up but the valving would still be off. They would work for trailriding temporarily, but not racing and jumping.

Cole Trane
01-10-2004, 11:00 PM
I would definately git the rear end work done. It isn't gonna ride very good with stock shocks on a +2 front end. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

JDiablo
01-11-2004, 10:16 AM
i would finish the rear off first,because then you will want to finish the front after you get the a-arms,so just get the rear off the list already.Jus my two cents

Bad Habit
01-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Depending on your riding conditions (mx, xc, dunes etc) I would do the front end first. If you do alot of jumping, however, you will quickly need to get the shocks revalved. Or, you could get an inexpensive set of works that are actually made to the proper stroke for your bike's geometry. A set of works without rezzies will not cost much more than getting the Ohlins revalved. Even if you do get them revalved, they're still not the exact shock specs for a 400EX.
The reason I suggest widening the front end first is because of the stock stance of the 400. With stock components, the 400 is slightly wider in the back end than in the front. Now if you put on a 2+2 axle on it, you will be way wider in the back. This can cause a "3-wheeler" affect which will make it have alot more roll and push when cornering at speeds.

Just my $.02

insaneracin2003
01-12-2004, 07:50 AM
thanks guys,points very well taken.i will be doing some research and calling around to people like c&d about getting some new front shocks.again i appreciate the info...