PDA

View Full Version : chain broke???????

hondarida420
01-10-2004, 02:19 PM
i was ridn yesterday and my chain just snapped can i buy just the link or should i get a whole new chain??

insaneracin2003
01-10-2004, 02:58 PM
i would buy a new chain,if ya put a new link in there then one of the old links are gonna pop and may be alot more expensive if it cracks the case.

cals400ex
01-10-2004, 04:25 PM
replace the chain. if it is weak enough to break one link, others may be weak too. either that or your pushing a lot of power. :p

hondarida420
01-10-2004, 05:09 PM
what size & type of chain should i get???

xc400ex
01-10-2004, 07:09 PM
I would get a DID or Primary Drive o ring. Ive heard the x ring chains last long to but havn't had any experience with them.

400ex#18
01-10-2004, 07:31 PM
i say go with the D.I.D. 520

JDiablo
01-10-2004, 08:24 PM
ive heard many bad things bout DID chains,that they strech like a mofo and you will have to adjust it every 3 to 5 hrs of riding.Somone correct me if im wrong,idk about renthal i didnt get it in yet ill let you no once i install it

xc400ex
01-10-2004, 08:47 PM
The DID non o ring chains are pretty much junk but the o ring ones are much better.

JD400exrider
01-11-2004, 01:01 AM
I have had good luck with the DID X ring. Remember if your sprockets are as old as your chain I would replace them too. If the sprockets are worn they will wear out your new chain. ;)

hondarida420
01-11-2004, 08:51 AM
how many links do i need??? (99 400ex)

FFW
01-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Sidewinder sprockets and chains all the way. Thats what I use and I won't ever use another brand.

They are far superior to anything else on the market and they will outlast anything else. They are also significantly lighter than stock sprockets.

If you can swing it do the laser cut stainless steel sprockets.
Expect to spend around $300 for a front sprocket, rear sprocket and chain. If you just can't afford that much then at least go with a DID 520 O-ring chain.

I can't recall how many links are needed but the local motorcycle/ATV shop should be able to tell you. Take the old chain and count the links, add a few for good measure and thats it.

01-11-2004, 02:42 PM
sidewinder=waste of money
x-ring=waste of money
o-ring=your best investment, DID o-ring chains are fine...whatever yiou do I w0uldnt get non oring

trx440
01-11-2004, 06:57 PM
Sidewinder is far from a waste of money. It is probably the last chain and sprocket set you will ever buy for your quad. Their stainless or Ti-moly chains are the best on the market.

I went thru two DID o-rings in 18 months on my 440 before switching to Sidewinder chains. My old 440 now a 465 still has the same chain and original Ti sprocket.

You may have something that you believe you need more but your money will be well spent with Sidewinder.

FFW
01-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
x-ring=waste of money
o-ring=your best investment, DID o-ring chains are fine...whatever yiou do I w0uldnt get non oring

jumbo,

It's not just a matter of personal preference to me. I have tried and damaged many other sprockets and stretched plenty of chains. Not so with my sidewinder. I haven't adjusted mine in nearly 8 months. I am not a 125 lb rider either:)

Tell me how sidewinder products are a waste of money especially if a normal set of sprockets and chains is replaced 3 times before I show any signs of wear on mine? Even if the costs even out over 3 swaps that still leaves all the down time due to labor not to mention if it breaks down during a ride out in the middle of nowhere or during a race.

:)

bmw500hp
01-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
x-ring=waste of money

I agree with Jumbo!. Hondarider is replacing the chain on a 99 model year 400ex. Dedicating 300.00 bucks toward a sidewinder system does not make sense!

Hondarider can go DID/Sunstar and use the money saved to invest in a new piston and bore.

The key to what Jumbo says is "best investment"

Either way dude, buy a new chain and sprockets together.

trx440
01-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Once again, you may feel money is better spent elsewhere but a Sidewinder purchase is not a waste of money.

If you sell the quad, you can always take the chain off, buy a spode chain online to put on the old quad and put your Sidewinder on your new quad.

The only way a Sidewinder is a waste of money is if you are getting out of ATVing.

shamisc
01-12-2004, 10:01 PM
The only way a Sidewinder is a waste of money is if you are getting out of ATVing. [/B][/QUOTE]

I couldn't have said it any better myself!! I think these guys are school kids that don't have alot of flow and they're asking for the most economical way not the best way! No offence guys!! I'm sure I'll get flamed anyway! But, if you guys really think about the issue, you'll realize that it's cheaper to spend $300 once than $150 a couple times a year. When i first did my 440, I installed new sprockets and chain w/ DID X-Ring and Renthal! They only lasted about 3 months of 2 day weekend riding!! Not saying they're junk, but they just don't hold up with any power thrown their way! So guys, save your pennies and give sideWinder a call, and you'll be riding sooo much longer than your buddies on the side of the trail with busted side cases and broke chains!! :)

01-13-2004, 02:01 PM
go ahead & wate your money...i just got finished with my stock chain after 200 hours of riding time & now im on another one & its holding up great...so far iv'e spent $60 on this new chain compared to sidewinders $300...i think I know who is getting the better deal :rolleyes:

trx440
01-14-2004, 12:35 AM
Since when do sidewinder chains cost $300?? WTFRU smokin, chain wax?

FFW
01-14-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by trx440
Since when do sidewinder chains cost $300?? WTFRU smokin, chain wax?

A sidewinder TI sprocket, tool steel front and chain runs around $300. You can easily go with the less expensive Laser cut sprocket which I have or even the tool steel which is still far superior to anything Sunstar produces but you should still purchase all the parts at once.

I'm not suggesting Sunstar is junk rather Sidewinder is that much of a better product.

Probably the single best purchase I made for my 440 so far.

:)

Out_Sider
01-14-2004, 05:11 PM
im running a DID non o-ring chain, and it hasnt streched much. i have had to adjust it once tho. But non o rings are less restrictive, so more power gets to the ground ;)

trx440
01-14-2004, 10:10 PM
The most expensive chain is $140. Period.

FFW
01-15-2004, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by trx440
The most expensive chain is $140. Period.

You aren't paying attention:) You should replace the sprockets AND chain at the same time. Thats where the $300 cost came from.

dirtmomma
01-15-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
im running a DID non o-ring chain, and it hasnt streched much. i have had to adjust it once tho. But non o rings are less restrictive, so more power gets to the ground ;)

Me too :D we've adjusted it once & it's been a good chain. I think if I HAD the $$ I WOULD get a higher quality one but gotta work w/ what I got, hell we run a "BikeMaster":eek: :o on the blaster hehehe, it'll be getting a DID next time though. But even that one has held up good for $17, the only reason we had to put another on was becuz the kid took a link too many out :rolleyes: other than that it's a decent chain too as long as you keep it lubed!!!

trx440
01-15-2004, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Jumbo747 [..so far iv'e spent $60 on this new chain compared to sidewinders $300...

I'm paying attention.

Someone else writes something out of context and a whole generation of ATV riders are brainwashed into believing that the chain alone costs $300.

I know Mr. Krause, my office was a few buildings down from his in St.Charles, IL. He is a quality guy who offers products that are much better than the competiton. I wouldn't want any bad or negative info to start snowballing on him as he has helped me out in the past.

And Yes,
It is recommended to replace your entire system if the older parts have equal time on them. Especially the chain and the rear.

atvmxr
01-15-2004, 10:11 AM
Ok, I'm old school. I still ride one of them anceint 2 stroke R's. Back when side winder first came out in about 92 or 93 I threw down $180 (way more than 300 today) for a sidewinder chain and sprocket. The chain lasted about 4 months and i could never get the chain adjusted properly because the front sprocket was off center. I have had many people agree with me on this issue of the front sprockets being off center. did sind winder fix it?
I run RK oring chains and whoever's sprocket in a kit, they last about two seasons of almost constant play riding or motocross. I'm happy for about $80