PDA

View Full Version : coil? no spark unless held away from ground

250x
01-10-2004, 11:51 AM
i only have spark to my plug if i hold it an inch away from a ground. no spark if i ground the plug? did i fry the coil?

2004TRX450R
01-10-2004, 06:45 PM
nope you just have a fouled plug. Replace the plug and go ride!:D

250x
01-10-2004, 09:08 PM
cleaned the plug with sandpaper and wire brush and nothing but then i put the end over the stove and then instaled it after cooling and bam it fired up. so sometimes it is possible to save a fouled plug when you dont have another laying around. this thing is new and has only been ridin 3 times and has fouled 2 plugs. typical rich running when breaking in honda.

hondafox440
01-10-2004, 10:47 PM
Go to the dealer and replace the plug. It may spark, but you can never clean them thoroughly enough to permenantly reuse it.

2004TRX450R
01-11-2004, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by hondafox440
Go to the dealer and replace the plug. It may spark, but you can never clean them thoroughly enough to permenantly reuse it.

This is true unless you have a bead blaster. You can clean them with a bead blaster or sand blaster well enough for them to run like new again. You might be able to get it to work with a wire brush and all but it will probably foul again soon.

Are you running it with the choke on for a long time? Those things are cold blooded and don't run when cold even with the choke. The choke should be turned off as soon as it will run with the choke off. If you leave it on for any length of time it will foul the plug. Also if you start it and shut it off several times and not let it warm up completely it will foul the plug. Hondas or any other brand for that matter don't just foul the plugs when they are new.