PDA

View Full Version : +2 to +3 arm controversy?

Hoodeye3
01-10-2004, 11:13 AM
O.K. I have ran a search and read through all I could find on the opinions and drawbacks on going to +3 arms on a 400EX, so far thats mostly all I found was (opinions) I would like to hear some feedback from guys who actually use a +3 setup and hear the pros and cons to this, I am running +2 housers right now wich I used for desert and grand prix races last season but this year I will be focusing on more MX & WORCS races. I am also using my stock swinger with a LSR axle, if I do convert would a + swinger be neccesary? Any feedback from past or present +3 users would be appreciated!

seven
01-10-2004, 11:29 AM
I had +2 arms on my 250R then went to +3. The +3 seemed tp push a little threw the corners. I put A little more camber in them and it fixed that problem. Now I am happy with my +3 setup.

Hoodeye3
01-10-2004, 12:41 PM
So you dont regret going to +3 at all , were is your swingarm at length wise and are you running a extended axle & if so how far out are you, thanks for the replies!

seven
01-10-2004, 01:46 PM
My a arms are +3 +0 long travel. The swing arm is 88-89 length with a dura blue+2 axle. Whith the TCS shocks on the ground it measures at 51 inches wide. In the air it measures right at 50 wide. I am very happy with my setup since I got it dialed in better. The only draw back is a lot of the worcs races and woods stuff you would be a little wide. I havent got to ride it a lot but I like it so far. Here is a link to my quad. Click on any pic to see it full size.
http://seven13.home.mindspring.com/id14.html

John Houser
01-10-2004, 01:50 PM
+3" wide A-Arms with 4:1 offset wheels is a better setup than +2" with standard 3:2 offset wheels. Both setups should have similar widths, but the 4:1 offset wheels will move the centerline of the tire closer to the centerline of the ball joint. This improves the turning & reduces the effects of a bump trying to turn the handlebars.

gibson400ex
01-10-2004, 02:05 PM
Welcome John!!!!

Hoodeye3
01-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Well hows that for constructive feedback, a reply from Mr. Houser himself! thanks for the info John I do appreciate it. I hope this dosent overshadow any other replies (more is better) Also going back to the situation with running a + model swingarm with the +3s would this be neccesary?

Greg Z
01-11-2004, 12:23 AM
with +3 a-arms you would not need to go + on the swing arm

you can but Im not to sure you will be shifting weight of the quad.

I know on a banshee -2 will make it less nose heavy

+2 would make it more nose heavy and it would make you lose more traction handeling wont be to good

you really dont need a + swing arm unless you get +1 foward on the a-arms on a 400ex that is

Hoodeye3
01-11-2004, 10:52 AM
That is some of the opinions I have read is that If you go that far out in the front you will need to extend your overall length to compensate (so you are not as wide as you are long), but If you run the offset that John suggested I would imagine it would not be a factor