PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm bearings... HELP!?

honda416exman
01-10-2004, 10:49 AM
I went up to KanK yesterday and purchased some Pivot Works swingarm bearings for my 87 R. And I got the end caps off, and the bearings in there just fell out, they were pretty mangled, anyway so if you look inside there seem to be two rings on each side, when you try to hammer them they just like break off in little pieces and there looks to be like a shim in there you can barely see, almost looks flesh with the swingarm, the new bearings won't go in becausr of it, and I've had it trying to get it out. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Josh

K_Fulk
01-10-2004, 12:09 PM
I put the swingarm on a tire or something to keep it from getting beat up and have the end hang off so the bearings can fall out. Then I take the biggest socket that fits in there that is about even with the outside diameter of the outer sleeve of the bearing put a extension on the socket and knock it out with a hammer.

honda416exman
01-11-2004, 09:01 AM
Thanks man, Sounds like it will work, I'll give it a try rite now.:D

honda416exman
01-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Just tried it with a slege hammer and i think it was a 19mm socket no sure tho, but I was beating the sh*t out of it and it wouldn not budge., but thanks for the advice.

K_Fulk
01-11-2004, 03:09 PM
Sounds like you need to put some heat to the outside of the swingarm. or put the swingarm in the oven at 200 degrees for 10 minutes or so. And try it again.

stamperbob
01-13-2004, 10:16 AM
I used the socket deal with my 400 arm and it took a while but it came out, but after that ill never use needle bearings anymore just because the bearing race is always too hard to get out, If i were you i would call and get bushings for it instead of the replacement needle bearings.