PDA

View Full Version : Need info Russel dual brake lines

440EXR
02-20-2002, 08:51 PM
Just installed Russell braided brake lines (Dual lines two lines direct from master cylinder) The brakes work but dont have near the stopping power of the old stock lines. I have bled them several times with and without a vaccum pump and have checked the pads and caliper. Does anyone have this system and have you had any similar problems or any info on why the brakes seem soft
Thanks
:confused:

CBW
02-20-2002, 08:57 PM
some times there is a little left in there.........take some small plastic hose and run from each bleeder into a bottle with brake fluid in it........then as you push the air bubbles you do not have to worry about getting any more in......worked for me.......the only difference is that i have the splitter block in the stock location...rather than the two lines from the master cylinder.......try it it cant hurt:)

Matt Fisher
02-20-2002, 09:57 PM
Try tapping the lines, the banjo fittings, everything. Since fluid does not compress, you must have air in the lines.

Evan
02-20-2002, 10:06 PM
I have the same thing and they seem soft also, they lock up the wheels so I know they are working but just have a soft feel to them, I am hoping a different set of pads will help.

440EXR
02-20-2002, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys Ill try your suggestions tommorow after work and let you know what happens I also emailed Russels tech if I get an answer back ill post it .
X rider what r u running for pads now I use ebc severe duty and the ones I got in r new

Evan
02-20-2002, 10:47 PM
Stock pads I will go with BRAKING pads next.

440EXR
02-22-2002, 05:00 PM
Hey brakes work great now!!!!!!!!!!!! there was air still trapped. here's what I did and it works great
put a bleeding tube in a clean small bottle and add some brake fluid until the end of the tube is well covered then with the master cyylinder uncovered pump the brakes and open the bleeder valve.
keep pumping while one guy holds the bottle with the tube in it high enough to have the tube go straight up and arch into the bottle. (just leave the bleeder open)make sure the end of the tube never comes out of the fluid and the guy pumping the brake has to keep pouring fluid as required into the master cylinder. while holding the bottle watch the fluid in the tube and when no more bubbles come out close the bleeder and do the same for the other side. we also tapped the lines lightly to help the air move through.
when we first started there was no air then after about 20 pumps they started to appear.
I can lock them up on pavement if I want now
Thanks guys :) :) :)