PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock rebuilt???

nofear911
01-10-2004, 05:36 AM
Has anyone had their stock rear 400ex shock rebuilt or revalved. I've heard you can do this, but I'm not sure about it. What does this do, does it just rebuild stock shock to original condition, or does it improve it?
What companies do this? I was going to get works shocks on the front, can they rebuild the back to match it. I would like to just replace the rear with aftermarket but can't afford it.
Does Santo offer anything like this? What kind of shocks does he do?:confused:

Quadfather
01-10-2004, 07:31 AM
I had my rear shock rebuilt by the Quadshop. It made a world of difference.

Pappy
01-10-2004, 07:36 AM
getting the rear shock rebuilt is an excellent choice if you cant afford to run full aftermarket.

C&D, Quadshop and de risi all have excellent reputations for this and well worth it IMO.

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-10-2004, 08:04 AM
pep and tcs both told me they are capable of making a stock rebuild perform just as good as their aftermarket shock. yes, they actually steered me away from spending more money, and told me what would be the more logical way to go :macho

muff
01-10-2004, 08:16 AM
a rebuild is definetly worth the money...especially because it is so much cheaper than buying a fully aftermarket shock

isnt the tcs more expensive tho like around $400?

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-10-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by muff
a rebuild is definetly worth the money...especially because it is so much cheaper than buying a fully aftermarket shock

isnt the tcs more expensive tho like around $400?

i paid 380 for tcs to convert my stock rear into a dual rate zps shock.

my buddy paid around 600 for pep to convert his stocker into a dual rate zps rear.

Pappy
01-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
i paid 380 for tcs to convert my stock rear into a dual rate zps shock.

and dont they anodize the shock body in that price also?

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-10-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
and dont they anodize the shock body in that price also?

ah ya, forgot about that;)

Pappy
01-10-2004, 09:07 AM
id also say that you will need to figure out IF you are going to keep the 400ex for a decent amount of time to justify either a rebuild of the stocker or just saving a bit more and going full aftermarket.

rebuilds run from $350 to over $600 and an aftermarket rear will sell from $550 to over $1000. damn we spend too much money one these parts:p

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
damn we spend too much money one these parts:p

what other option do we have? :(

muff
01-10-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
what other option do we have? :(

exactly :o we dont have a way out :(

nofear911
01-10-2004, 03:20 PM
Ok, thanks for the info so far.
This might be hard to explain, how does this improve the ride, handling, and jumping? I've never rode a machine with aftermarket suspension.
What is zero preload, does this absorb more of the jump and not throw you as high allowing you to hit the jump faster?
Does De Risi's have a web site?

nofear911
01-10-2004, 04:33 PM
Any opinions appriciated.:(

Dave400ex
01-10-2004, 06:59 PM
Give Santo a call! DeRisi Racing (http://www.derisiracing.com)

nofear911
01-11-2004, 09:48 AM
Pappy?
Your 2 cents on how it would change the handling and riding style??

Pappy
01-11-2004, 09:57 AM
well i sure aint no expert on anything ....

but once its rebuilt you should first notice a better quality of ride( your *** wont get kikk'd up as bad as the stocker) you should also be able to go thru ruff sections faster without the rear end crossing up. (swapping left to right)

if your planning on racing alot then go aftermarket...but if your a weekend warrior such as myself the rebuilt should suit you fine.

nofear911
01-11-2004, 10:16 AM
Who all is going to be at NEMX Jan. 17 and 24. If your going, whats your quads and #'s so I know who you are.
Me and my buddy are going out to check it out one of those Saturdays. It's about 2hrs away, so somebody let me know if it will be closed due to weather. I hope the have heat by then.
:D :D :D

nofear911
01-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior, definetly going to rebuild now. I just didn't know what to expect for the money.
Now, for the front, should I get new works triple rates, or used quality brand zps. Again, never rode with them and don't know what to expect.
Thanks for your opinion Pappy!

Pappy
01-11-2004, 11:32 AM
i doubt ill ever buy new shocks again. id rather buy a set of used pep, axis or elka (order doesnt matter they are all great) then send them off to santo de risi and have him apply his magic.

you can find works tripple rates with rezzys for under $400used.....then spend a few hundred more to have them completely set up for you i garuntee you wont be disappointed.

alot of times you can find pep shocks that probally wont need any rebuild or different set up for your combination. they IMO are one of the best shocks that come pretty much ready to go from pep. as long as they arent old then you can feel confident they will preform perfectly. i bought several sets of used pep's for under $500 and only one set needed to be sent out for revalving.

elkas are still bringing top dollar in the used market. no explaination for this but they do. BUT i feel that elkas are set up a bit harsh from the factory. the faster you ride them the better they preform....and thats great if you can ride to where the shock preforms best. expect to pay $500 to $650 on used elka tripple rates with cans.

axis.....great shock but i think pep has an edge over them. axis also demands a higher used price and usually the axis i see posted for sale have several years of use. used axis bring over $500 and i dont think ive ever seen a set sell for less.

i geuss it boils down to this. if i have to give you an idea of what i'd do in your situation....id try to find a set of used works tripple rates and send them to de risi. when he is done with them they will preform as well as any other shock. you may spend a bit more then buying another brand but in the end you will have a big *** smile on your face and you will know that they are set up for you and your riding style.

redroost85
01-11-2004, 01:12 PM
nofear911, I am hoping to get over to NEMX myself on of these Saturdays. Make sure that they are having quad practice, sometimes it's just bikes. I need to shake mine down for a few laps to try some new stuff out and this indoor place will have to do. I don't much feel like freezing my *** off any more than is necessary, lol!

My ride has red race cut plastic and number 85. Feel free to come on over if I am there!:)