PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever tried?

Martin Blair
01-09-2004, 11:13 PM
Has anyone ever tried a xr400 revbox in a 400ex? are the plugs the same?

zlam27
01-10-2004, 12:20 AM
heres a free bump. IMO rev-boxes are worthless unless you have some mods that actually let you keep HP to 10,000 RPM, dont most power-curves drop off around 8 or so anyway? i hope someone can better answer your ?.

sorry but i have to say this. i was reading all the hype about dynojets, jetting stock carbs, etc. i just want to say that we should all just buy FCR carbs or somethin and get away from the mess of the stock carbs. maybe honda should just go to FI or somethin like the cannondales. i dunno, but it surely seems like jetting is the problem and solution to 95% of the problems people encounter. we all need dyno's in our garages to perfect this "art".

zach

2004TRX450R
01-10-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by zlam27
heres a free bump. IMO rev-boxes are worthless unless you have some mods that actually let you keep HP to 10,000 RPM, dont most power-curves drop off around 8 or so anyway? i hope someone can better answer your ?.

sorry but i have to say this. i was reading all the hype about dynojets, jetting stock carbs, etc. i just want to say that we should all just buy FCR carbs or somethin and get away from the mess of the stock carbs. maybe honda should just go to FI or somethin like the cannondales. i dunno, but it surely seems like jetting is the problem and solution to 95% of the problems people encounter. we all need dyno's in our garages to perfect this "art".

zach

I'll second on the rev box. I think the plugs are the same but I'm not sure.

I'll also agree about the jetting problems. However I think people just either need to learn to jet their bikes properly or pay the piper at the shop. The only problem is at the shop they don't always have a good place to ride to properly jet them. Thus putting it back on the consumer. So if you can't jet it then don't mess with it I guess. Chances are it is going to run better with proper jetting stock than messed up jetting with a bunch of stuff done to it. Yes a Dyno makes a nice tool for jetting especially if you have an EGA for it but is really isn't needed if you know what you are doing.

Martin Blair
01-10-2004, 10:56 PM
where the hell did the jetting talk cvome from, lol i ahve a edelbrock i got read of the stock carb, does anyone know for sure if the plugs are the same? I am hoping it has a different ignitioon map, but it might not work since the xr is kickstart but i dont think taht would mater

2004TRX450R
01-11-2004, 02:24 AM
Sorry he started it not me! jk :devil: :devil:

Anyway I want to say the plugs are the same but I can't confirm for 100%. The starting system doesn't tie into the ign. system so being electric start won't really matter. Why are you wanting to do this anyway? I don't know if it is going to gain you any power. I kinda doubt it will. If you have a bad 400EX box and access to an XR box I can see it but if you want power gains I would think you would be better off getting an aftermarket box.

4wheelboy
01-11-2004, 10:59 AM
i thought that when u put a after market rev box it made it hard to start because most like the whitebros ect... are made for a xr400 witch makes it hard to start on a 400ex because it electric start and not kick:o :confused:

2004TRX450R
01-11-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by 4wheelboy
i thought that when u put a after market rev box it made it hard to start because most like the whitebros ect... are made for a xr400 witch makes it hard to start on a 400ex because it electric start and not kick:o :confused:

If so then I would imagine it is due to timeing changes. As far as I recall there is no starting system components or wireing in the CDI box.

Martin Blair
01-11-2004, 04:46 PM
so a wb or big gun box os basically a stock xr400 box?

shamisc
01-14-2004, 12:33 AM
400ex makes no power after 8000 rpms or so. So why over rev it if no power comes from it?:confused: Spend that $120 elsewhere! (high comp piston,cam,etc.);)

airheadedduner
01-14-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
so a wb or big gun box os basically a stock xr400 box?
I thought it was an XR250 box:confused:

As long as you keep on top of your battery you will have no starting issues.

As for not needing one unless you have the mods, thats all opinion.