View Full Version : Some intersting info from Honda Bigwigs

BigAl
01-09-2004, 08:57 PM
This was stolen from www.offroad.com

Honda TRX450R Part 2
"After The Ride"

by Colby Turner

• January 2004

You've just finished riding the most-anticipated sport quad in 14 years; you've ridden with the largest names from the MX scene, met the biggest players in the ATV media, and talked shop with the geniuses behind it all. What would you do next? I think most of you would have done exactly what I did -

Any fan of the sport would have to stop and think, "Why now? What's really changed, and just where is the sport going now?" I just couldn't help but ask these questions that were burning a hole in my brain. Fortunately, I had Lee Edmunds, American Honda Manager Motorcycle Press and Ray Conway, Honda Off-Road Media Coordinator, Motorcycle Division, to answer my questions and stomp out that internal blaze.

Question: What changed in the company's culture to bring Honda not only back into the high performance ATV market, but back into ATV racing as well?

Answer: First of all, racing is part of Honda's DNA. Whether its motorcycles, cars or ATV's, Honda thrives on excelling on the racetrack in an effort to push themselves to achieve continued success in the future. It's a great testimonial to the quality currently in Honda products. Honda has always wanted to be involved in ATV racing, and that part of Honda's company culture has never changed. As far as the market goes, Honda feels that it's strong enough to support a product like the TRX450R and that's why it's being released.

Question: Is Honda making any kind of statement as to the future of ATV racing/riding by hiring a MX rider as their first rider? In other words, does Honda believe that with current environment issues, urban encroachment, and other various land use issues that closed course racing/riding and private land use is the future for ATV's?

Answer: Honda selected Tim Farr based on his achievements on the racetrack and professional abilities. Honda does not believe ATV's will be forced into track-only situations, but strongly agrees that the pressure to keep it from getting that way is up to riders and their diligence to fight for their riding rights, and the media (us) to aid in that fight.

Question: How has Honda adapted in order to come back into high performance ATV production and bring back their racing DNA into the company culture?

Answer: Education, Education, Education. Honda has gotten smarter over the years. Acquiring a vast knowledge of safety, environmental issues, and the American legal system has been the focal point of that education. At one point in time, Honda had over 600 lawsuits against them. Most of these lawsuits would be considered frivolous today. Back then however, sympathetic juries would see an injured individual on one side of the courtroom and a big company like Honda on the other and they threw evidence and logic out the window.

Question: Yes, I remember those days. I remember seeing people on an ATV - drinking, wearing nothing but a pair of swim trunks and a pair of shades. I remember seeing parents putting five-year-olds on large displacement vehicles and crying to Barbara Walters about how they were outraged at the results (anyone who has a problem with that, just remember I was there and I saw it all). I was just a kid back then, but even I wondered what the hell those people thought they were doing. How does the education that Honda has acquired tie into modern times and modern products?

Answer: To name a few you'd probably start with safety. Honda placards their ATV's with cautionary instructions and guidelines. Honda strongly recommends wearing the proper personal protective equipment (PPE) when operating ATV's. Honda reminds riders that their ATV's are designed for single rider operation. Honda's other big reminder is that riders should be at least 16 years of age to operate ATV's over 90cc's. Honda offers safety courses and training videos that cover these and other important safety issues. Secondly, concerning environmental issues. Honda makes every effort not only to meet current Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standards but also, to set higher benchmarks. Whether the concern is noise pollution, water and air pollution, or various soils related issues; Honda is committed to achieving a balance with nature. The last of the big three educational issues that are tied into modern times and products is litigation experience. Of course this means lawyers and legal fees.

Question: I remember the days of $2,800 out the door for high performance machines. Would you attribute the education as you put it to the rising cost of ATV's?

Answer: Absolutely, the money has to come from somewhere to pay for the additional personnel, legal fees and other related costs that now go into producing ATV's. Unfortunately, that cost is put to the end user and that's the consumer.

Question: Speaking of cost. I completely understand today's prices considering everything that goes into producing today's ATV's. However, I've noticed rather large dealerships coming in and gaining huge portions of some markets and charging sometimes several thousand dollars above the suggested retail price. How can new comers to our sport protect themselves from such gouging? Question 2 what would entice current champion racers who can win on cheaper, older technology to fork out the cash that these dealers are asking for Honda ATV's?

Answer: First of all monopolies are illegal and Honda does not promote any such activity. As far as the consumer goes Honda feels that with Internet and other technologies, the consumer is better armed to deal with such issues. With regards to the racer issue it's up to the racer. There are a couple of things to consider here. One, right now with the TRX450R it's a simple supply and demand issue. As more TRX450R's hit showroom floors, prices should become more reasonable. Two, it's up to the individual racer in how they want to promote themselves and that choice is ultimately up to them.

Conclusion: I appreciate the candor and respect that Mr. Edmunds and Mr. Conway answered my questions with. Of course there were a couple of questions I wasn't able to get answered but there were legal issues there. And some questions were answered but I swore not to repeat the answers. In the end I tried to ask all the questions I thought you the reader might ask.

2004TRX450R
01-10-2004, 12:59 AM
Thanks for posting that. That is some intersting info!