PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting and paint???

riz400
02-20-2002, 07:34 PM
I am thinking about renting a sandblaster to clean up my frame and then buy some spraypaint to do my frame....??? I would love to have it powdercoated but there is no one around here that does it. It would cost me around thirty bucks to rent the sandblaster and about 15 for paint. I have silvervein Houser a-arms already and can't decide what color to go with...black....blue....not sure yet.

Has anyone else done this?????

Jbelknap21
02-20-2002, 07:45 PM
im in the process of doing that now, ive sandblasted my whole frame and swingarm, and ive painted my swingarm. the sandblasting takes a VERY long time to do it, i just did the welds and the rusted spots and it took a long time. then on the rest i used a sand wheele thing on a grinder. my dad is painting it for me using an air brush type thing, i dont know much about that kind of stuff. dont know if this helped ya at all but i tried:)

joe

mrusk
02-20-2002, 08:02 PM
Dont spray paint your frame!! There is another solution. Buy rustolum in can, NOT THE SPRAY, and paint your frame with a brush! It will turn out much better and will LAST MUCH longer!

Matt

chris29
02-20-2002, 08:06 PM
If you have the money and time you could ship it out and have it powdercoated. But if ya don't just be sure to get some damn good spray paint.

Texan32
02-20-2002, 08:20 PM
Using spray paint will not get you very far. I used t5o have a LT250R. It was trashed. But i tried to crean it up best i could. I stripped the a arms. Used a good quality primer and spray paint. Even esed 2 or 3 layers of crear coat. Not even a month later, it was wearing off. Spraypaint scratches VERY easy. So, unless your making a show quad, it'll pretty much be defeating the purpose. Have you checked all over your town. Call the body shops. Also, if you have a Harley, ask them. Up here in Minot, the only way to get anything powdered it to take it to the Harley Davison shop. (they in turn send it to the prison....hey, powder coating is powder coating).

If you do decide to spray it, TAKE YOUR TIME. Use several paint layers and also use several clear coat layers. Just like cars, the more clear coat you use, the less effects scratches have on the finish.

Just my 2 cents....

02-20-2002, 08:30 PM
If you use a product called POR-15 it will look and last a hole lot longer. Use a spray gun to apply and it will look great. Not sure what colors it comes in but if you search the web you will find lots of information on it. They use it on car frames and running gear.

Hope that helps.

Smitty

02-20-2002, 08:53 PM
About POR-15, its not an regular paint, it accually chemically adherses to the metal, but you must have it striped to the clean metal. I used the stuff on my 87 chevy 4x4 show truck, and it looks great it has a super hard finish that will resist scraching. I've hit a hammer to the frame without even nicking the paint. They have some color to choose from, not a whole lot but they got the basic colors. There website is www.por15.com just order a catolge and see what they have. I've painted my bottom arms with the stuff, and the paint still looks as good as when i did it, a long time ago. Trust me its hard stuff. It would be a great thing to use on a frame, and the best part is that it will stop rust from forming, for life. you can even paint over rust without it coming back. Just wanted to let ya know that its a good idea for painting your frame, if you want it to look nice for a long long time. Al

bklyn400ex
12-19-2002, 10:44 PM
did u spray it on or brush??

bradley300
12-20-2002, 08:08 AM
pm pappy. i think he is doing por-15 now. he's also pretty cheap and does good work.