PDA

View Full Version : HRC kit

Hammer trx450r
01-09-2004, 03:39 PM
How much are you guys paying for the install of the kit?no bs

chad502ex
01-09-2004, 04:02 PM
paying cash for the kit, installing myself!

chad502ex.com:macho

stabbincabin
01-10-2004, 03:53 PM
my dealer quoted me about $140-$150 to install the kit,they are a small dealer and their labor rates are only $35.00 an hour,he said it should take about 4-5 hours to install.i figure that it's too cheap to pass by,i've got the first one he's getting and i'm having the kit put on before i pick it up.i will lrt you guys know how well it does!

Got nads?
01-10-2004, 04:43 PM
I'm gonna to try to get it thrown in with my machine.

450rboy
01-10-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by stabbincabin
my dealer quoted me about $140-$150 to install the kit,they are a small dealer and their labor rates are only $35.00 an hour,he said it should take about 4-5 hours to install.i figure that it's too cheap to pass by,i've got the first one he's getting and i'm having the kit put on before i pick it up.i will lrt you guys know how well it does!

hey you should ride it before you put the hrc kit in. to see how it is

2004TRX450R
01-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by 450rboy
hey you should ride it before you put the hrc kit in. to see how it is

I'll second that. That is what I am doing. I am installing mine myself though. Even if I took it to the dealer I would be the one putting it in.:D

$35.00 hr is friggin cheap! I'm glad I don't work there! I can't imagine the tech. wages are very good. Our shop charges $80.00 hr but with a lot of people around Issaquah, WA that have money that work at Microsoft and all we can charge that much and people don't even bat an eye.

Andy479
01-10-2004, 09:59 PM
4-5 hours to install a cam and jetting!!!!!!!!! Im thinkin 2hrs tops....that with a half hour lunch inluded!!

lukester720
01-11-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Andy479
4-5 hours to install a cam and jetting!!!!!!!!! Im thinkin 2hrs tops....that with a half hour lunch inluded!!

I completely agree

twisted threads
01-11-2004, 12:13 AM
When I get a 450r I will not buy the kit. I will probley by the cam only and then a aftermarket pipe. I don't see the reason to buy a air box lid with a whole in the top of it and a bigger end cap for a pipe im not going to use. Im just curious if the HRC cam for the TRX450r is the stock cam for the CRF450??? Thats my $.02 on the whole thing, maybe the kit price is a killer deal but im going to wate and see what some of the motor builders do and some of you guys on Exriders before I make any big moves.:cool:

jeff1984
01-11-2004, 12:23 AM
my dealer told me 300 for the kit and they would install it for free. they also said that if i were to put it in myself it would void any type of warrenty, but if they put it in for me the bike has a warrenty.:)

twisted threads
01-11-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by jeff1984
my dealer told me 300 for the kit and they would install it for free. they also said that if i were to put it in myself it would void any type of warrenty, but if they put it in for me the bike has a warrenty.:)

How many year warranty did your dealer tell you that they had for the 450r? My buddy the other day was on the phone with our honda dealer and they told him the 450r was a Race bike so it did not come with a warranty (that would suck!)

2004TRX450R
01-11-2004, 02:47 AM
Yes 4 hours is way longer than it will take. More like 1-2 hours tops for anyone that knows what they are doing in a shop.

any race bikes come with no waranty. Any of the CRs are that way. Also most ATVs only have a 6 month warranty anyway and if you install the cam it DOES NOT VOID THE WARRANTY!! If the shop is going to be like that go somewhere else.

nofear911
01-11-2004, 06:23 AM
$80/hr shop rate!!! holy crap!!
Our rate is $30/hr, needless to say my cut out of that isn't very much.

C41Xracer
01-11-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Andy479

No I think your wrong 4-5 is more resonable. I've done cams and to do it right takes about 5 hrs.

Andy479
01-11-2004, 08:57 AM
i can see MAYBE 4hrs on a DOHC motor, but not just to swap 1 cam. Unless you take a smoke break after every bolt.

stabbincabin
01-11-2004, 09:15 AM
i also felt that i should wait for the install until i have ridden for a while,but a couple of things to think about,when the quad is new there should not be dirt/sand in nooks and crannies that can get into the engine,also you would be breaking in cam to head only once,also i live 40 miles from my dealer and he will be more willing to get the kit installed before i pick up and pay than afterwards, and for me it would mean only one trip not 3(pick up,drop off,pick up) let alone the time that i would be w/o the quad.i also am not concerned w/hours he is charging me,the money($140-$150) IT IS NOT WORTH THE HASSLE FOR ME TO JACK WITH IT!,which is the whole reason i sold my 250r,i want to ride my quad w/o always working/tweaking w/it.one last thought when i recieve my 450r before i bring it home i will go to my friend's house and race his yfz(bone stock) and i want to be sure to whoop his a**. later!!!!!

ROGERS
01-11-2004, 09:27 AM
I agree, doing the cam should take maybe a half hour. Another 1 for the jetting. I have done two yfz cams and it only took 30 minutes from start to finish on the second one, and that included dropping one of the moon clips and finding it again.

2004TRX450R
01-11-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by C41Xracer
No I think your wrong 4-5 is more resonable. I've done cams and to do it right takes about 5 hrs.

How many cams have you done? I could probably do a set of cams in a YFZ in 1-1.5 hours REALLY easy. Probably more like under 1. I just retarted the ex. cam in a YFZ yesterday and going at a somewhat slow pace I did that and installed a jet kit and full exhaust system and new GYRT air filter and jet kit in about 2.5hours. Probably only took about 45 min to do the cam mod and it wouldn't take much more than about 5 more minutes to actually pull the other cam and replace both. And if I was in a hurry then I could probably have done the cams in a half an hour. That is just dropping them in not actually degreeing them. If you are degreeing the cam when you put it in then yes it will take longer but most cams don't have adjustable sprockets so you can't degree them anyway.

Something else to consider on the time and shop rate. I would bet my shop would charge like 2 hours do install it so that would be $160.00. The shops that have a much lower shop rate will usually jack the time up more so that they still make their money. So the cost to have it done at the $30hr shop is going to be about the same as at the shop I work at at $80hr.

ThomsonRacing
01-12-2004, 01:49 AM
I already posted this in another forum, but here it goes again...If you are thinking about buying the HRC kit (if in fact it is offered) you probably are going to want to read this...

The latest I have heard is Jan 28th for the first release...however, the apparent reason is that it was only making about 34 hp at the rear wheels in stock form so they decided to basically put the hrc mod kit in (at least the bigger cam anyway) straight from the factory. If Honda doesn't offer the hop-up kit, we'll know this was the real reason for the delay...if they do, I would still ask my dealer some questions before I went out and paid extra for it.

I am just glad that I went with the YFZ and wait for the TRX...don't get me wrong, I love Honda's and still have my full-race 400ex...but there is no way that the serious mxers are going to get the parts they need for the TRX450R by the time race season starts...in fact, most will be lucky if they even have their quad by then.

stryker
01-12-2004, 02:07 AM
And where do you get this info from? That would be sweet if your info is right. Honda should have done this from the get go. I think they got an itch to make a little more by offering a kit a lot of people wanted in there bike in the first place. Just a thought!:cool:

2004TRX450R
01-12-2004, 02:26 AM
Where did you hear that at? That is the first I have heard of it. Our shop has 3 HRC kits on order. They haven't shown up yet to my knowledge but they are on order. I highly doubt that that is true. There are so many rumors going around it is sick. I wish the damn things would just come out already to put all the rumors to rest. I guess when I get mine I will measure the cam loabs and let you all know if there is a difference.

ThomsonRacing
01-12-2004, 04:07 AM
Yeah, there are a lot of rumors, but the bottom line is that Honda keeps screwing around and it isn't because the TRX450R's aren't built and I really doubt that is because of handling (come on, Honda has had the best handling atv's forever), that leaves the motor...this info regarding the cam mods came from the guy who builds my motors...it is what he heard, so for now it is just hearsay...however, this is the same guy that told me to buy the Yamaha in early November instead of waiting for the Honda because of problems...he also confirmed the Jan 28th date a week or better before my local Honda/Yamaha dealer even knew about it. Maybe it is hearsay, but if I were still in the market for a 450R, I would at least ask my dealer if they know anything about new cam mods...I am just saying, don't waste your money if they already fixed the problem!

ckasper18
01-16-2004, 12:58 PM
I have been a honda dealer for 40 years now and to install that cam should not take more than 2 or a little more hours.Warranty on all quads dirt bikes is 6 months.If honda says its a race quad then on the cr and crf there id no warranty.I dont think they are calling it a race quad though.The power up kit retail price is $300.00 and thry claim it will give you a 13 percent increase.Should be out at the end of january but it only takes one fax from honda to tell me different and have not got that fax yet .I have front bumpers skid plates and even a set of ac nerf bars as you read this .AC has stuff in stock they are waiting to release the pro pegs till the machine is released.I am positive that it will be worth the wait........................Cheis
The Wisconsin Quad MX Series Promoter
..........COME RACE WITH US......................

Hawk III
01-16-2004, 06:01 PM
The latest I have heard is Jan 28th for the first release...however, the apparent reason is that it was only making about 34 hp at the rear wheels in stock form so they decided to basically put the hrc mod kit in (at least the bigger cam anyway) straight from the factory. If Honda doesn't offer the hop-up kit, we'll know this was the real reason for the delay...if they do, I would still ask my dealer some questions before I went out and paid extra for it.

Do you guys really want to know the real reason the bikes are late????
The bikes are sitting in the warehouses with NO motors in them. They didn't have any problems at all with them, the motors are made in japan and shipped over. they screwed up on the shipping.

Hammer trx450r
01-16-2004, 06:08 PM
then when are we getting them?

4fiddyR
01-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Hawk III can you elaborate on that statement? Where did you get the info, just curious.
Thanx!

Derrick D
01-16-2004, 07:08 PM
It should only take about an hour to do cams in that bike. I can do DOHC car cams degreed and all in a little over 3 hours. Maybe it will take you 2 hours if you are not using air tools.

macsolocam
01-16-2004, 07:28 PM
just my.02...I think the hrc kit is a waste of money. I will have a full custom exhaust, put the 03 cam in from the crf450r dirt bike and also add the fcr carb. The high compression piston will take a little while to get but I will also have that put in when one is made.

Derrick D
01-16-2004, 08:15 PM
I agree. Just hype for them to make more money. You can spend that money on parts from sparks or tc & probably get alot more power.

2004TRX450R
01-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Derrick D
I agree. Just hype for them to make more money. You can spend that money on parts from sparks or tc & probably get alot more power.

I doubt it. Usually the HRC stuff is about the best you can get. Honda made the engine and they know how to make it fast.

r450rr
01-16-2004, 09:16 PM
i agree with 2004TRX450R .. honda knows how to make there bike faster more than any other aftermarket products and plus these products will be warrentied by most dealers... an from what i have read .. 42 hp stock and 48 with hrc kit.... 13% increase for 300 bucks.... u cant be those numbers for that price

2004TRX450R
01-16-2004, 11:22 PM
what I'm curious to see is the hp numbers for aftermarket exhaust systems compared to stock system with the HRC end cap or with a modified stock end cap. Not just aftermarket compared to stock with stock end cap like on the HMF web site.