PDA

View Full Version : What 450 Would You Prefer For MX?

FourFiftyFour
01-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Just posting a poll on what 450 you'd choose to be on for MX...curious of who chooses what

d-14 rider 27
01-08-2004, 10:53 PM
crf, cuz its da chit

Crazy4bluEx
01-08-2004, 10:59 PM
Crf hybrid..... no ?'s about it. They are truely pure race machines if done correctly. I dont trust yamaha reliabilty, sorry yammy riders.. :blah: i dont trust the new honda either, something tells me it is going to be a time bomb.. maybe it will maybe it wont? id rather ride on something i built, because i would only have myself too blame if something malfunctioned...and that is how i like it.

Narly R
01-08-2004, 11:52 PM
Hybrid 450!:D (NICE!:eek2: ) The CRF 450's are just plain AWSOME! The new 450 (in the quad) just isnt the same...:rolleyes:

Honda4trax250x
01-09-2004, 06:26 AM
the ktm's are just too sweet, i had to pick it.

Chevy454
01-09-2004, 06:42 AM
What is the *perferred* chassis for a CRF450 hybrid? Anyone out there running one of these? Also, school me on the CRF450 details...

Glow Plug
01-09-2004, 07:04 AM
I would love to have a crf 450 :eek2:

Pappy
01-09-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Chevy454
What is the *perferred* chassis for a CRF450 hybrid? Anyone out there running one of these? Also, school me on the CRF450 details...

id say the new arens chassis is gonna be number #1 in that spot once word spreads. unfortunaetly i dont think the hybrid quads will be huge in the future:(

wyndzer
01-09-2004, 08:16 AM
You left off the Cannondale 450.

YLW400
01-09-2004, 08:24 AM
Thats a question that has been running through my mind here lately for the upcoming race seasons, and I think a production based quad is the way to go personally...Whether it be the Honda, Yamaha, or the C-dale.......I have seen some problems with the high dollar hybrid quads......

Pro400EXC
01-09-2004, 09:39 AM
CdaleChick,

What no Cdale up there?

A SBM 450 Moto would be at the top of my list, I mean sicne we have hybrid and all a 450 dale should be there too...

Pappy
01-09-2004, 09:41 AM
i added the atk / cannondale

remlapr
01-09-2004, 09:50 AM
I dont' MX, but it seems to me like a 250r geometry aftermarket frame with a YFZ or CRF powerplant would be the ultimate MX bike.

FourFiftyFour
01-09-2004, 12:28 PM
b/c I would never EVER touch another Cannondale as soon as I get on another quad........thats why I didnt put Cannondale on there.....

FourFiftyFour
01-09-2004, 12:36 PM
oh yeah and Im sure the womens class in nationals wont limit just to production quads.....so i think hybrid quads will be fine for a while in those classes....... what im really talkin about is what quad will be best for me in Womens B class and eventually move up to Womens A class after a season or two

Tommy 17
01-09-2004, 01:08 PM
tom berrys pro trax laeger axis crf450... no doubt in my mind that would be the quad i'd run if i had the money

Ralph
01-09-2004, 01:11 PM
i think i would do the same on all of em.

gibson400ex
01-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
tom berrys pro trax laeger axis crf450... no doubt in my mind that would be the quad i'd run if i had the money

Thar sh** the bomb but i aint feelin the orange frame.......i'd like a blue metallic or a yz blue frame and a-arms and swingarm;)

AtvMxRider
01-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
b/c I would never EVER touch another Cannondale as soon as I get on another quad........thats why I didnt put Cannondale on there.....

LMAO a few months ago a Cannondale was the best quad ever made.:blah:

FourFiftyFour
01-09-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
LMAO a few months ago a Cannondale was the best quad ever made.:blah:

LOL that was when it ran! now after it being down for 6 months out of 8 months.......i got a lemon! Ive had it with Cannondale! lol

AtvMxRider
01-09-2004, 02:11 PM
LOL that was when it ran! now after it being down for 6 months out of 8 months.......i got a lemon! Ive had it with Cannondale! lol

LOL yeah I bet that does suck. I would get the YFZ if I were you.

Out_Sider
01-09-2004, 02:13 PM
crf 450 hybrid....even tho a ktm 450 would be pretty kool

Scottie Mac
01-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Sorry guys, but anyone putting 15-20 gs into a hybrid quad right now would be an idiot. The righting is on the walls, production machines, like it or not, are the future of the sport. Plus, look at the results at Glen Hellen and Dirt Riot. The production machines with the right set up are as fast as hybrids for A LOT less money. I had a full LSR YZ426, deck to the hilt, sold it and now have a built up YFZ and couldn't be happier. Even if you are a die hard "Red Head' you would be better suited to buy a TRX450R and build it up from there. Eventually, probably sooner than later, they are going to all go to Production rules. And those building hybrids are going to be stuck with them or selling them at a rediculas price, and lose a whole bunch of money.

Scott

FourFiftyFour
01-09-2004, 03:26 PM
yeah but by the time u put new a arms, axle, shocks, motorwork, rims, tires, swingarm, etc etc and such... u might as well have built a custom quad.... i dunno.. i dont think womens class will come to production only for a while, unless someone else knows otherwise.... if anyone knows about the womens class rules changing then let me know bc then theres no need for a hybrid, but as far as i know womens class allows hybrids

also im a bit worried, ive heard of problems coming from the yfzs already.... dont know if they are common ones, but at the last race i was at (last weekend) a few of them DNS in the 2nd moto bc motor problems.....and im not bashin on the yamaha either! i just really want to do a lot of research on this! doesnt hurt to be too careful!

Glow Plug
01-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17

not really liking the yellow and orange but other than that the quad is sick

Out_Sider
01-09-2004, 03:40 PM
if i were u CDaleChick i would just get a 450r/yfz450/ or you could even look into a Z400.

FourFiftyFour
01-09-2004, 03:46 PM
hahaha..... im on a borrowed Z400 now.... theres no way id get one for me..... its much more underpowered compared to my dale and I want a real 450, not one bored out to a 450

im not ruling out production quads..just really looking into this whole thing a lot

Cody_300ex
01-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Ktm 450! Gotta love those Ktms....

ranger400ex
01-09-2004, 03:47 PM
WTF...you buy a $hittly maintained quad...it had problems before you even rode it, the owner (who I might just mention)even said it had major issues, and he ran it anyway!!!!! you didn't fix it right, and now it is #ucking cannondales fault? you got real problems...as in the rider and the buyer. The only problems it ever had were not due to cannondale, I have had three to this point which have never let me down, Kenny owned his with zero problems, Jeff, John, Fred and many thousands of others have and are still racing and riding the $hit out of theirs with only a few simple updates...you bought a cheap piece of $hit, and you got what you payed for...If I buy a blown up 400ex and never fix it right, is it hondas fault and all their quads are junk???....No F Way....I would be the idiot and the failure....u might want to visit a mirror some time soon.

Rico, SQA, Kenny, Harlen, I regret that I don't apologize for the above cause the lady can bash on something she knows nothing about, and makes a bad name for them. It is not a personal attack on her cause she seems like a nice lady, but her actions are what pi$$es me off

Kara if you want to see what a real dale does, give me a ring and we will set something up. I am sure I can get you on one that will leave any doubts and thoughts of any other quad a thing in the dust. Then we can have a real discussion.

Ben Wrightsman

wyndzer
01-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by ranger400ex
WTF...you buy a $hittly maintained quad...it had problems before you even rode it, the owner (who I might just mention)even said it had major issues, and he ran it anyway!!!!! you didn't fix it right, and now it is #ucking cannondales fault? you got real problems...as in the rider and the buyer. The only problems it ever had were not due to cannondale, I have had three to this point which have never let me down, Kenny owned his with zero problems, Jeff, John, Fred and many thousands of others have and are still racing and riding the $hit out of theirs with only a few simple updates...you bought a cheap piece of $hit, and you got what you payed for...If I buy a blown up 400ex and never fix it right, is it hondas fault and all their quads are junk???....No F Way....I would be the idiot and the failure....u might want to visit a mirror some time soon.

Rico, SQA, Kenny, Harlen, I regret that I don't apologize for the above cause the lady can bash on something she knows nothing about, and makes a bad name for them. It is not a personal attack on her cause she seems like a nice lady, but her actions are what pi$$es me off

Kara if you want to see what a real dale does, give me a ring and we will set something up. I am sure I can get you on one that will leave any doubts and thoughts of any other quad a thing in the dust. Then we can have a real discussion.

Ben Wrightsman

Yeah! What Ben said.:blah:

Atreyu
01-09-2004, 04:02 PM
I picked CRF...but KTM would be my next choice just because they're different. :macho

FourFiftyFour
01-09-2004, 04:09 PM

Ben Wrightsman

well im sorry i didnt just have loads of money that i can wipe my *** with either, i had to work and save all my money up for over a year to try to buy a quad bc my parents wouldnt buy me one, so it was either buy a used one or not have one at all..... mine does have the updates, we replaced the top end perfectly, even had a cannondale guru check the whole quad out before i ever ran it with the new top end, the top end blew AFTER i bought it and when i tried it out i ran it hard too....then the other time somehow now my gear oil just dissappears all at once in the quad and burns up the clutch, yes there were no leaks or anything..... and now it hits the rev limiter halfway through the throttle....... ive kept this thing maintained fairly well and kept an eye out on it, it runs strong when it runs but then something stupid happens with it...... i know mines not the only cannondale thats had problems......you have your lemons and your regular quads..... i know cannondales are great when they run! trust me...mine has the moto mapping and it really lays on the power, but i just really havent had good luck with it and im ready for a change of quad...... im not bashin cannondale...just simply saying, id rather not touch another one for a very long time b/c all mine has done has cost me 4 grand for 20 rides in 8-9 months

FourFiftyFour
01-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Atreyu
I picked CRF...but KTM would be my next choice just because they're different. :macho

yeah that 520 definitely is awesome.... i just havent seen any 450s around? im wondering if its bc they just arent reliable or do they not fit in the frames well or what? there must be a few reasons

lil400exman
01-09-2004, 04:22 PM
choose a full race 250R with aftermarket frame and everything else!:devil:

gibson400ex
01-09-2004, 04:30 PM
there will still be able to race 450's next year. Mike Walsh weill be riding his ktm 520 full walsh bike in Pro am and his yfz in the pro whihc it will be using a stock frame...........

montyjcm
01-09-2004, 04:35 PM
What about a predator with the new 440cc kit coming out? I know that it weighs a lot, but still it is a 440. BTW, I would want any one of those quads!:D

cheetah
01-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Hey it must really suck to spend your hard earned money and get a lemon. My cdale has given me absolutely no problems and it's the best bike I've ridden. I agree with you however, if mine failed so many times I probably wouldn't back them either.

FourFiftyFour
01-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by montyjcm
What about a predator with the new 440cc kit coming out? I know that it weighs a lot, but still it is a 440. BTW, I would want any one of those quads!:D

ive raced on a predator twice and it was a nice quad and all but a bit heavy for me (5'6" and 105 lbs)

gibson400ex
01-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by montyjcm

:huh :huh

a predator is a 500cc quad so why would they put a 440cc kit in it?:p

FourFiftyFour
01-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by gibson400ex
:huh :huh

a predator is a 500cc quad so why would they put a 440cc kit in it?:p

to make it legal to run with the production quads

ScooterX
01-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Ranger400ex - :mad: :mad: :mad: Could you please remind me of all the things I said was wrong with that C-dale before I sold it? No? Exactly, cause I've never had a problem with the quad the whole f*cking time I owned it. So if you wanna come here and try to bash the way I maintain my machines, talk to me directly first and get the facts. I don't know who in the hell you think you are comin on here talkin your sh*t but you might want to watch your f*cking mouth! If you have anything else to say to me, PM me and I'll give you my number and we can discuss what you apparently heard from me. :mad: :mad:

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-09-2004, 05:16 PM
i would pick a yfz or a trx. those hybirds dont hold a chance against the production 450's. you can squeeze just as much hp out of the trx/yfz, handling is just as good if not better, and they are more reliable. thats my opinion:macho

Derno24
01-09-2004, 05:52 PM
All I am going to say is I agree with BEN here and Wyndzer. I have had 2 Cannondales. 1 I still own and the other is on 200 plus hours on the motor and still kicks ***. I know because I am good friends with the current owner. I think your dilema with your quad is just that and could have happened with any brand. So to single out a brand and say it is junk or whatever is a little premature.

montyjcm
01-09-2004, 05:54 PM
The pred with the 440cc kit, is supposed to have a bit more power but rev much more quickly than stock.

This may seem like a stupid question, but aren't the crf 450 and other hybrids decked out "stock"? I mean it isn't really fair to pit it against a stock yfz. That is just my opinion.

Evan
01-10-2004, 12:31 AM
i said trx450 for several reasons....its a quad....not a quad with a dirtbike motor...hence it was designed for what it is going to be used for. Im a little bit wary of the crf motor in a quad, and with the Ti valves they will need adjusting every 10 hrs or so. You wont have that trouple with the trx, nor will you have the need to replace rings so often.

Ktm might be good...but parts would be $$$

As for you cannondale riders...Those saying that cannondales in general are reliable and have no problems....you guys are in denial is all I can say. Now Im not knocking cannondale....they are truly the king of performance IMO-The true technology quad-not the yfz which has nothing we havent seen before really-in fact its stoneage compared to the dales.... but to say they are reliable is pushing it. Im sure there will always be some out there that have never had a problem, but chances are-they dont ride them hard. Any quad/bike ridden hard is gonna have trouble at some point in time. Sure with any brand/quad you can have a lemon, Im sure theres 400ex lemons but in general hondas are reliable and dales are not. And for you guys to say its X persons fault and not the manufacturer in a situation like this I think you are hiding from reality. I mean get real fellas, do you think the guy knew or somehow caused the bolt to come out locking up the motor? I could go on.. but I dont think I will.

Derno24
01-10-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Evan
i said trx450 for several reasons....its a quad....not a quad with a dirtbike motor...hence it was designed for what it is going to be used for. Im a little bit wary of the crf motor in a quad, and with the Ti valves they will need adjusting every 10 hrs or so. You wont have that trouple with the trx, nor will you have the need to replace rings so often.

Ktm might be good...but parts would be $$$

As for you cannondale riders...Those saying that cannondales in general are reliable and have no problems....you guys are in denial is all I can say. Now Im not knocking cannondale....they are truly the king of performance IMO-The true technology quad-not the yfz which has nothing we havent seen before really-in fact its stoneage compared to the dales.... but to say they are reliable is pushing it. Im sure there will always be some out there that have never had a problem, but chances are-they dont ride them hard. Any quad/bike ridden hard is gonna have trouble at some point in time. Sure with any brand/quad you can have a lemon, Im sure theres 400ex lemons but in general hondas are reliable and dales are not. And for you guys to say its X persons fault and not the manufacturer in a situation like this I think you are hiding from reality. I mean get real fellas, do you think the guy knew or somehow caused the bolt to come out locking up the motor? I could go on.. but I dont think I will.

What the hell are you talking about? No one made any comment about bolts backing out or Cannondales being the most reliable machines. They have quirks that are different from other machines that is true, but if you think for one moment Jeff Stoess or Rick Cecco baby their quad you are sadly mistaken. I do not wish to see a problem here it is just that since she bought this quad she has been having problems as might any person buying a used atv any brand.

Evan
01-10-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Derno24
What the hell are you talking about? No one made any comment about bolts backing out or Cannondales being the most reliable machines. They have quirks that are different from other machines that is true, but if you think for one moment Jeff Stoess or Rick Cecco baby their quad you are sadly mistaken. I do not wish to see a problem here it is just that since she bought this quad she has been having problems as might any person buying a used atv any brand.

The bolt my friend is what caused it to lock up in the first place-that wasnt directed at you-but it seems mr ranger knew what all took place so i figured he knew the whole story behind that dale. He tried to say it was Pete or Karas fault that it locked up... Im sorry if I misunderstood this. As for the reliable part-it seems the dale owners were implying they did not have any trouble out of theirs...my bad if I misunderstood that too. So your saying Jeff and Rick have not had a bit of trouble with their dales? I remember reading something about ricks in atv sport-cant remember what it was..ill look later...Im just saying anything ridden hard is gonna break sooner or later. Buying used...heck you can have problems right out of the showroom with some. Im not downing cannondale at all...I just didnt think it was right for mr ranger to put all the blame on pete and kara when it could easily have been cannondales fault. Especially since he doesnt know what happend-he wasnt there.

01-10-2004, 01:12 AM
yfz no doubt i dont trust crf bike motor reliability, bike motors are for bikes, i almost built one but decided against it, i didnt feel like rebuilding the motor so often and what not

450r jsut isnt for me, cdale is too complicated , and why buy a yz when u can have a yfz

as for ktm im just not interested karry three mehcanics;)

my choice for quads is like this

yfz 450
400ex
z400

those are the only quads ive ridden that i liked:p

01-10-2004, 01:21 AM
yeah but by the time u put new a arms, axle, shocks, motorwork, rims, tires, swingarm, etc etc and such... u might as well have built a custom quad.... i dunno.. i dont think womens class will come to production only for a while, unless someone else knows otherwise.... if anyone knows about the womens class rules changing then let me know bc then theres no need for a hybrid, but as far as i know womens class allows hybrids

also im a bit worried, ive heard of problems coming from the yfzs already.... dont know if they are common ones, but at the last race i was at (last weekend) a few of them DNS in the 2nd moto bc motor problems.....and im not bashin on the yamaha either! i just really want to do a lot of research on this! doesnt hurt to be too careful!

why waste all the money and stuff on a quad that wont be worth anything, the hybrid quads are done with

go buy a yfz and run it stock with smaller tires and a slip on pipe, youll do fine
youd have alot less motor probs with a yfz than a dale, crf hybrid or ktm or yz hybrid, and you got better geometry than a 250r, it corners better , jumps better and feels lighter than a r or z, if ur tall might feel cramped but im 5 10 and it feels awesoem to me

Scottie Mac
01-10-2004, 09:23 PM
CDalechick,

Here is your blueprint for a "affordable" mx machine.

Get a YFZ, add a $410 axle, rims and tires (get 3-2 offset fronts, it will make the machine 2 inches wider in the front) have your shocks revalved, add a slip on and jet and do the cam mod. Add some cheap bars and nerfs and you have yourself a reliable, fast and half way affordable mx machine. Plus, you could always add parts later on.

You could also take the same formula and do it to the Honda, but as Mr. Arens said before, you probably are going to have to put a few more $bucks into it to get the same power a piped, cam modded YFZ will have.

Good luck.

Scott

I really think you should try to ride both first, though.

YamaWarr0121
01-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Im with all the cdale guy's on this one and i understand where kara is coming from..but ive raced my quad HARD for almost a year now non stop 3 times a week. I did a few simple updates in teh beginning and after that havent had 1 problem. I can easily smoke any quad out there off the line and i can jump/race with top riders on CRF quads..i love this machine, and if anyone wants to coem and feel what a real cdale feels like near philly set up for mx come and try mine out, i'll dare ya, you'll fall in love, of if XC is your thing come n see derno's quad :eek:

CHAUNCY
01-10-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Honda4trax250x
the ktm's are just too sweet, i had to pick it.

Same here....KTM's are truely nice bikes:eek2:

ranger400ex
01-12-2004, 06:36 AM
Scooter, FYI...maybe Jim and Doug can help me scrounge up some old post by yourself....ie Problems w/ my quad posts. I distinctly remeber quite a few, this was even pointed out to you by others when you went to sell, and something about you were wanting to get out of it to race bikes or something. I will dig em back up, secondly Kara....4000 is a smoking deal for an 8000 dollar quad...I understand the saving part...I am 28 years old and have never had anything handed to me...I payed for my college, I payed for all my cars, from the time I was 16 I paid rent, and 1/4 of all utiilites, I bought and pay for my house, and continue to pay for all my things with my hard earned and saved money...does this make me a martyr...no...what did my parents buy me? nothing, cause they gave me all the were entitled to give....life.....it is a four letter word alot of people forget to deal with along with the words..... hard work. You guys/gals are lucky to have anything given to ya... just remember that.

I wouldn't relive my life for anything.

ben

Scottie Mac
01-12-2004, 09:32 PM
Bro, are you talking to me?? I think you have me confused with someone else, because I have owned three quads, a Lovins 265R, a LSR426 and my YFZ450 and have not tried to sell any on this forum, nor have I had any problems with any of them that I could not fix by myself. Please expalin.....

Scott

Derno24
01-12-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac
Bro, are you talking to me?? I think you have me confused with someone else, because I have owned three quads, a Lovins 265R, a LSR426 and my YFZ450 and have not tried to sell any on this forum, nor have I had any problems with any of them that I could not fix by myself. Please expalin.....

Scott

He means ScooterX not you.

TGW_400ex
01-13-2004, 04:36 AM
Dude you forgot the Wild 450:eek2:

ATC Crazy
01-13-2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by CHAUNCY
Same here....KTM's are truely nice bikes:eek2:

:blah: Gotta have the KTM...they are bulletproof engines and are very strong.

FourFiftyFour
01-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Yeah I like KTM a lot, but I heard the upkeep on them was quite a lot..... I havent seen any KTM 450 hybrids around? anyone know of any besides the 520?

ranger400ex
01-13-2004, 10:52 AM
KTM makes a great dirtbike motor...
VERY VERY bad idea for a quad motor.
several things.
1)nearly impossible to get, and no KTM will not sell them outright...I tried several times. (The few you have seen were from trashed/wrecked bikes, or people bought the $7k dirtbike, took the motor, and parted the rest out)
2)$$$$$$$ motor cost, mods to make the motor even slightly hold up to the added weight, traction, and stress
ie motor mounts, pivot bracing, clutch, tranny gears, etc.
3)cost of frame $$
4)reliability is not much better than a hot steaming turd...I have owned a Huaberg 510 combo...fast as #uck...and bad on luck. I spent more money inbetween each ride fixing than I did all last year racing.
5)good luck getting help and parts ASAP if anything is custom.

Kara...good piece of advice. buy a reliable quad 400ex, 450R, YFZ, Rapturd, z/KXF put a good suspension, make it comfortable for you, maybe a slip-on and filter change, and ride it on the ragged edge, instead of something that you will spend more time looking at than on....

bmw

ScooterX
01-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Scooter, FYI...maybe Jim and Doug can help me scrounge up some old post by yourself....ie Problems w/ my quad posts. I distinctly remeber quite a few, this was even pointed out to you by others when you went to sell, and something about you were wanting to get out of it to race bikes or something. I will dig em back up,

Is that right? I'll make it easier and just list the problems I had with my Cannondale when I owned it.

Broken subframe, blown out rear shock, bent handlebars (not a C-dale problem but I'm just gonna list everything), broken brakeline, and bent rims.

I think everyone will agree that stock steel handlebars (on any machine) and the ITP wheels C-dale used were junk. The broken subframe and rear shock were due to a wreck I had which resulted in being unconscious for 10-15 minutes, a broken foot, and hurt back, along with many other scratches and bruises. Austin can actually back me up on that one since he was there and helped load up the quad for me. and the broken brakeline happened in a seperate wreck.

If that means that I did a sh*tty job of maintaining it, well than I guess you're right, but I just see that as racing hard for over a year and being on the track about 3 times a week. Wrecks do happen.

As far as motor problems, I've never had them and you must be thinking of someone else or just straight up lying. I changed the oils after every 3rd ride and cleaned the airfilter after EVERY ride. I also went over my bike thoroughly to check for cracks and/or loose bolts every time I washed it (which was after every ride). I changed the fuel filter w/ every oil change although sometimes I waited for the 2nd oil change to change the fuel filter. My cables were always lubed and if my brakes ever felt soft, I bled them right away (only had to do that twice and once was when I got new a new brake line).

I will admit that my swingarm was in rough shape, but I like to ride hard and push myself and quite frankly, I don't feel that the stock suspension was able to hold up for my riding, or for anyone that could ride pretty decently w/o getting new shocks or having suspension work done (which I can't afford).

As for switching to bikes, I did that because I feel that quads just are not good MX machines compared to bikes. I was getting to the point where my stock setup was holding me back somewhat and I didn't want to build a $15,000 quad. I like bikes because they stay more straight off the jumps, they track through the rough sections better, they have better suspension (by far), they're lighter, they're cheaper, they hold up better in MX, and they are less brutal on your body than quads. I also love going fast and it's easier to go faster on a bike although the competition is much harder.

Also, I can't ever remember having anything pointed out to me when I was tryin to sell my quad. To be completely honest, I didn't hear many replies about my quad from anyone.

ScooterX
01-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Almost forgot....

A lot of problems that people had were actually just little things that they didn't understand because the C-dales are completely different machines and are pretty complicated.

Now that I think of it, I did have a problem where my bike wouldn't start when I first got it... it turns out it was simply a fouled plug, and another time that my quad would barely run and would die if I let off the gas... it turns out somebody actually messed w/ my quad and turned my idle way down. Other than that, you're gonna have to refresh my memory because I can't remember any time I had problems.

Hell, maybe I've just hit my head a few too many times.

racerx573
01-13-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Chevy454

Walsh chassis, hands down.
or
Laeger if you can still get one

FourFiftyFour
01-13-2004, 02:53 PM

Kara...good piece of advice. buy a reliable quad 400ex, 450R, YFZ, Rapturd, z/KXF put a good suspension, make it comfortable for you, maybe a slip-on and filter change, and ride it on the ragged edge, instead of something that you will spend more time looking at than on....

bmw

I want this quad for nationals..... no offense to 400ex owners out there b/c they are great quads.. but I need something more updated, raptors of course would not be my chocie, way too heavy and not legal bc the 450 rule, right now i can borrow a stock z400 and its nice and i like it but i want somethin with a lot more bite to it.... thats why I want a 450.... thats the next quad im getting, hands down, just deciding which 450 would be best for me for running Womens B in nationals, I will race the local circuit also, but I really want to get into Nationals, at this moment, the money thing isnt an issue, this isnt a final thing that im getting a 450 or anything but it might happen... so I dont have to go all out on the cheap scale...... just getting some ideas..... if i go production I might go for yfz bc i think it would suit my 5'6" height better than the honda, if i go hybrid....im leanin for the CRF for obvious reasons

EvilJester400EX
01-13-2004, 02:57 PM
IMO, the YFZ would definitely suit your needs better. I've got a 400, and recently got my YFZ, I got used to the YFZ in a matter of 2-4 laps on a mx track. After riding the YFZ a few laps, my 400ex seems to feel much bigger than it really is. I wouldn't build a hybrid, way too much trouble and also a ton of money to do. I could always sell you my 400ex and let you put a CRF motor into it tho.. :blah: