PDA

View Full Version : 400ex dune buggy

doublezer0
01-08-2004, 04:04 PM
has anyone used the 400ex motor on a small dune buggy like go kart sized except with more ground clearance, im lookin into buildin a small two seater and i would like to incorperate a 4 stroke motor into it any input would really help

thanks
mark

exatak199
01-08-2004, 04:22 PM
A 400EX engine would work good but it's air cooled so heat would be a problem. mabey a z-400 engine would work bedder but that's just my .2 cents

ReconRider25
01-08-2004, 05:06 PM
if its for a go cart or something itd be fine but it might be hard trying to rig up the shifting.

doublezer0
01-08-2004, 06:03 PM
heat shouldnt be a prob, i dont like the idea of a z400 engine id just prefer the ex, as for the shifting its just a cable clutch i already have an idea for a clutch and shifter, anybody know any sites for modifiying/ building dune buggies???
thanks mark

Out_Sider
01-08-2004, 06:08 PM
i kno one..but my mind went blank. couldnt u hook up the clutch and gears just like a cars only with the shifter coming on your left side, and it just being a metal rod? I'd definatly be a kool project

Martin Blair
01-08-2004, 08:48 PM
i had a idea for paddle shifters if i made out kx80 into a go cart
I was gign to hook a shorter cable to the clutch so it pulled first, then longer, only slightly to the shift lever that way clutch opens, it shifts up or down, clutch engages, just use some sort of metal paddle mounted on a rod arroun the steering stem holder, i drew plans in cad but never got them made into anything

derekhonda
01-08-2004, 09:37 PM
ideas = http://www.badlandbuggy.com/

doublezer0
01-09-2004, 05:36 AM
ive been thinkin the same thing for the shifter outsider just a metal rod on the left hand side and the clutch would be simple i could run the cable to a pedal on the floorboard, the only issue i have is keeping the weight down so that a ex motor could pull through the sand, i may have to rethink this idea through, what about a snowmobile engine??

400exdad
01-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Before I starting riding quads I really thought about building one like you're talking about.... In my opinion, it will most likely be too much work and too expensive unless you start with a Honda Oddesey (sp) or the other little dune buggy Honda made... (CRS is setting in :) ) anyway, here's a link to a guy in Japan that built something like you're talking about. It looks like he has lots of $ in it and still had to make new parts sue of strength issues. He didn't sound like an idiot either. Check it out: http://livefreely.infoseek.livedoor.net/e/index_e.html

At any rate, I think I would have to consider something with reverse....

ledofthezep
01-09-2004, 11:38 AM
anybody know any sites for modifiying/ building dune buggies???

Check out http://www.johnsonsbuggies.com I'd email him & ask him for some help...feel free to tell him Brandon King referred ya to him.;)

I've thought about making a mini rail using a atv motor also...would take the rear swingarm & shock, whole works for the rear end,...mount the seat right in front of the motor & use the quad's a-arms & shocks for the front....then figure out all the rest. Would be pretty sweet...maybe someday...:p

doublezer0
01-09-2004, 01:50 PM
that is a good idea led, that way you already have your rear suspension, maybe get a wider rear axle and offset tires to make it wider, and the front arms from a quad could be used for the front suspension like u stated so the cost could be kept down.
great ideas guys thanks.

mark