PDA

View Full Version : Need pics of painted frames...

ledofthezep
01-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Hey all,
Need some help. I recently got an '01 400ex. An old farmer was the previous owner & didn't clean it much & it must have sat for a while. So the frame is starting to rust in spots on it & looks pretty rough. I plan on powdercoating it in the future, but my financial situation won't allow me to at this time. So I figure I'll just paint it for now,...it will definately look better than it does now. So now I'm wondering what color. SHE wants like a dark blue. It has yellow plastics so I was thinking candy apple red or something...but I may go with the blue like she wants. I've searched for the past hour & a half and haven't came up with much. Can I get some peeps to post some pics of their EX's with painted frames? Any will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

MITrail400EX
01-08-2004, 06:38 PM
I know the perfect person for you to talk to for a pic of a red frame and yellow plastics. Look for a guy named H440Confused. He has a that exact setup. I've seen it in person and it looks sweet. I know where you're coming from painting the frame instead of PC. Its so much more expensive to powdercoat, but it's totally worth it. The paint will flake off or chip eventually, but if you take your time to prep the frame right, it should last for long enough to save up for powdercoating it. Good luck with your decision.

Bad Habit
01-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Here an old one with the factory graphics. I've got more if you wanna see em.

Martin Blair
01-08-2004, 09:48 PM
what kidn fo pitn do you use, do you strip off the stock? do you use primer? I was thinlking of some enamel car paint and a clear gel cot like on fiberglass boats for protection

or just pc it

ledofthezep
01-09-2004, 11:34 AM
Thanks guys & Yellow416ex especially for the pic. I think I'll probably go with red, but maybe a dark blue just to stand out a bit. Whatever I do I'll get pics on here. I'm thinking of getting some of that 'spray on liner' that you can buy & do yourself for like truck beds, etc. I'm going to coat the lower a-arms, bumper, & bottom of the frame, and paint the top a-arms & the frame....will just coat the bottom. The frame is going to be gussetted 1st, should work out pretty sweet, & that liner **** oughta hold up just as good if not better than powder coating on the a-arms & bottom of the frame. But I'll still probably powder coat it down the road when I have the money to get it done.

Hotdog
01-09-2004, 11:48 AM
im going with the YFZ red and yellow or white plastics. My frame is getting gussetted and powder coating today.

i can't wait to start putting it back together

ledofthezep
01-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Sounds sweet!:) Be sure & get us some pics!;)