PDA

View Full Version : Screwy 400ex transmissions?

Moded86R
01-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Alright I have a 2002 400ex.It has less than a 100 hours on it.A freind of mine also has a 2002.It has a little more hours on it.Not sure how many.(But I know we have had ALOT of long nights on that bike.We rode it all the time.)

Anyway both of our bikes are having tranny problems.Nothing has acctually broken yet.The thing is missing gear happens alot.Yesterday we where racing from a roll and we where basicly right next to each other.When he shifted into 3rd it like went into nuetral revved up and then went into second gear.I saw it happen and heard the bike rev up.Mine hasn't been acting up as bad as his.But it has done a few things.I know I miss 2nd alot with it.

I have my shift lever adjusted for my boots.So I know it's not that.I know how to ride a bike.I have been riding for 14 years.I am kind of new to the 400ex.My buddy has had one sing july of 02.Bought brand new.And his has always missed gears to.

Is it just our bikes?Is anyone else having issue's with there 400 tranny's?

StreetLegalEX
01-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Could also be clutch, or maybe change the oil?

Moded86R
01-08-2004, 03:25 PM
His oil get got change in october.Mine in november.Both opf ours are due.Mine will be changed tommorow and he would have changed his today but he had to order new front plastic.But it will get changed soon.

Niether one of our clutch's slip and both of them are tight.I think it might be something with the trans.And the way it connects to the shift shaft.Seems like there is to much play.

xc400ex
01-08-2004, 08:44 PM
400ex tranny's are pretty much bulletproof except when you really build the motor...adjust the clutch lever to about 1/4 inch freeplay and put some fresh oil in it. What kind of oil are you runnign?

Chef
01-08-2004, 08:50 PM
My friends 416 did the exact same thing that you're buddies is. Pops outta third. All the others were fine, just third. I think he told me that a shift fork was bent or something along those lines.

Martin Blair
01-08-2004, 08:54 PM
mine used to drop out of second, i change the oil and found out my shift lever was bent up so when i shifted it wouldnt go into gear fully, so i replace it and i make sure i pull it till it stops, everythign is fine with mine now

Aceman
01-08-2004, 09:01 PM
If your clutch is adjusted and your shifting properly, I think there is something wrong with your transmission. You need to tear the motor down and take a look. I bet a shift fork is bent or worn down. Take a look at the grooves in the shift drum also. I don't see any other way other than tearing your motor apart to find out.:(

fmf400ex03
01-09-2004, 07:58 AM
my tranny will do weird stuff to i thought was me but it isnt. ill be rollin in first and some 1 will layinto the throttle and pass me so i stab it and go to second and it just wails neutral i thought it was i didnt bring my foot up high enough but my buddy rode it and did the same to him its like u pull up and hits neutral and its like it hits a wall so i let off and shift again and it will go to second so i dunno whats up with it havent got it check just thought it was me and my bud i dont know now

Moded86R
01-09-2004, 03:22 PM
I sure hope there wouldn't be any wear on these transmissions.My bike is a 2002 and so is my buddies.And FMF400ex03 is an 03.

I have an 86 250r that shifts smoother than any400ex I have riden.And it has very little wear on the transmission.(I know I just rebuilt the entire motor.New center cases and all the bearings and seals,New OEM 86 crank,New clutch,etc,etc.Everything was still in very good condition)

I guess honda has let there qaulity control slip alittle.I mean they don't even use bolts to hold the plastic on!

I love my 400.I just don't like some of the things it does and the way it is built.Just like my 300ex.

BTW.I run honda oil in it.10w-40.I just bought a new filter and oil today.Getting ready to change it.I am also adjusting the valves.

True rider
01-10-2004, 12:45 PM
umm if theres no free play in the clutch lever than the clutch will grab sometimes, happened on my friends 300ex, adjusted it and it never happened again.

markeg192
01-10-2004, 04:28 PM
It sounds like your not getting all the way into third. Make sure your shifter isn't rubbingyour case and binding. Make sure you are pulling it all the way and changing the oil is always a good place to start.

nofear911
01-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Mine does this sometimes too,but only when I'm jackin around and don't get it quite into gear completely. I don't think its to much to be worried about unless its really bangin hard when it pops out.

Moded86R
01-10-2004, 06:48 PM
I changed the oil last night.As well as adjusted the valves.It was pretty black for being changed november 14.

I am not sure if it helped mine or not.Last night it was to cold to ride.And today I wrecked my dad's truck and then I just watched the Rams loose.Today ain't my day.I swear.

660r2a400ex
01-11-2004, 06:57 PM
mine has dropped down from 5th to 4th one time, maybe i didnt shift it hard enough up, but anyways since i changed from my rappy to my 400 i cant complain, it is so much more reliable, just keep beating it up til it breaks, chances are it won't!

shamisc
01-14-2004, 12:24 AM
I have my shift lever adjusted for my boots.So I know it's not that.I know how to ride a bike.I have been riding for 14 years.I am kind of new to the 400ex.My buddy has had one sing july of 02.Bought brand new.And his has always missed gears to.

Is it just our bikes?Is anyone else having issue's with there 400 tranny's? [/B][/QUOTE]

I know it's gonna sound crazy, but I think it's your boots and a little anxiousness! I never have probs with mine shifting unless I'm drag racing with my riding boots on. New boots are the worst!Try it a few times with tennis shoes and I'll bet you won't have a problem! I thought something was wrong with mine, but it was the boots. So, now i drag with shoes not boots!;)

Moded86R
01-14-2004, 01:01 AM
Well since I changed the oil it has been doing it less.It was pretty dirty for being changed a month and a half before that.I had been riding it everyday though.Since then I have missed a gear once and it was my fault.I knew it was going to happen as soon as I shifted.

I ride with tennis shoes on sometimes.If I am in my work shoes I ride in them.But if I have my good shoes on I opt for the boots.I have alpinestars.But I only wear them when I race.When I ride around the house I wear work boots.

It doesn't happen when I am drag racing.(It does on my buddies though)So you might be right.I still think you have to move the lever up and down more on a 400 than you do a 300ex or an R.

StreetLegalEX
01-14-2004, 03:04 AM
Well nice to hear your problem is prob. solved.

I hear people say they change their oil after 20 hours, but they do ride races and stuff.
But I do think its best to change it often if you ride a lot. I also think this topic proves that once again.
(remembering I rode my old Suzuki 230 for years on the same oil...... :D )

redrider37
01-14-2004, 09:14 AM
My buddy has a 02 400ex and we just rebuilt the tranny in that.Judging by what you are saying i'd crack it open and take a look before it gets too bad.His would jump in and out of gear in 2nd and 3rd.After a while it just kept getting worse after we put new clutches in it and went over the shifting linkage.His 2nd and 3rd gear shift forks and dogs were wore.I have a 2000 400ex with no problems since new but nothing is ever "bulletproof".

hondaracer31
01-16-2004, 09:03 AM
I've got a '99 that had a 440 big bore, the only prob I had with the tranny was 3rd gear broke! The pieces grenaded the whole tranny, had to replace all gears and shafts, etc. Cost over $1,000 in parts!:eek: Now I change the oil after every weekend of racing. Oil is MUCH cheaper than trannys. So I'd say if you think you have a problem check it now! It's cheaper than waiting till it breaks!