PDA

View Full Version : GNCC 4str Stock Class

Bart
01-08-2004, 01:44 PM
With all of the new larger displacement sport quads that have been released recently, wouldn't it make since to split the 4str stock class in two?

stock 400cc and below.

stock 401cc and above.

It just doesn't seem fair to have guys racing old 400EX's and Z400's with stock shocks race against YFZ450's, TRX450R's, Predators, Canondales (ATK's), etc... with shocks which have reservours.

I sent this recommendation into the GNCC. They claimed they would discuss it at the GNCC banquet.

01-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Well there shouldn't be too much to talk about. That class does not require shocks with rezzies. New yammi and honda both have them and they are in stock form. So something has to be done.

quadman22
01-08-2004, 01:56 PM
my first race i came 4th outta 44 people. i had a pipe and tires, thats it. i raced against yfz's and other 400ex's with shocks, 440 kits, and everything

a lot of people say racing is 95% rider and 5% bike. practice is better than any modification but shocks do help:blah:

joedirt
01-08-2004, 03:39 PM
due he's talking about the stock class not mod. You have a good point.

quadman22
01-08-2004, 03:49 PM
oh **** sorry... but still i think shocks are ok for the stock class. they wont make you THAT much faster anyways

jlhughes750
01-08-2004, 06:50 PM
FYI i ran an EX last year at NC and Rausch in the stock class. Those were the only 2 rounds i raced in that class so noone made a deal of it...
Anyways, the Ex I rode had a hard time keepin up to the Polaris and the VForce.... At Rausch i was runnin 4th overall in the morning and on the last lap, a dude on a Polaris ( the guy who got like 2nd for the year....oh yeah Travelena!!!) came blowing by on a straight, no problem.... i hung with him in the tight stuff, but the Polaris's 50 hp vs. the 25 on the EX was no match when it came time to mash the throttle..................... Long story short.... If i had been in better shape at the time i coulda held up Trav. for a few more miles and got the spot.... so basically i do not think they should seperate the class... stock is stock.. if the stock bike u run don't keep up then trade it in on a faster stock bike.....

Great year Travalena I really wish I coulda held u off for a few more miles.. its was fun while it lasted, my family was there.. that helped alot... Stock class rules!!! I'll be runnin the PM races this year when i show up!! Anyone that got top 5 in the stock class on a Honda.. they get a thumbs up from me, cause in a straight up drag race the EX was the slowest bike in the class.... some guy ... Wright???? was the top finisher on an EX in the stock class this year!!!!! I know a guy in the top 10 that started finishing worse on the new Yammi then on the under powered EX????????

later, J

jlhughes750
01-08-2004, 06:55 PM
Sorry Rico...... Just my opinion... if u want to run res.'s in the stock class for 04... trade in the EX on the 450...... Its stock class, and the rules state any bike not equipped with rez. shocks can't use them..... YFZ stock has res.... so its legal... I ran Ohlins on the EX last year in the stock class, they just didn't have res.'s!!!!;)

later, J

The stock class is where its at!!!! All the action!!! Imagine if All 4 big dogs whre standing on the line... yellow,red,blue and green!!!!! green kicked *** last year!!! that was all rider!!! can't wait to see what he does next year. should be exciting!!!!!

indygncc
01-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Jason- Your right man, the stock class is where it is at. Anyone who thinks that class is a joke needs a reality check. I had a tough time this season riding a V-Force and winning the championship, sure didnt come easy. I couldnt keep up with Travalena in the fields this season, the V-Force is killer midrange but lacks the topend speed due to the stock clutching. Should be fun this season watching Doug Henke ride the big V, he is a talented rider that will do great on it. I just didnt want to ride the beast again this season. Ill be making a switch to a new Yamaha this season. By the way I think last season was the first time a Honda has NOT won stock class!! Im proud of that....

I agree with you that a stock class should be stock class, if you want the best stock class bike buy the best stock bike...

Pappy
01-08-2004, 10:54 PM
yep, the stock class is gonna be mighty fun this season. finally a playing field with some diversity:p

rowlrag
01-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by indygncc
Jason- Your right man, the stock class is where it is at. Anyone who thinks that class is a joke needs a reality check. I had a tough time this season riding a V-Force and winning the championship, sure didnt come easy. I couldnt keep up with Travalena in the fields this season, the V-Force is killer midrange but lacks the topend speed due to the stock clutching. Should be fun this season watching Doug Henke ride the big V, he is a talented rider that will do great on it. I just didnt want to ride the beast again this season. Ill be making a switch to a new Yamaha this season. By the way I think last season was the first time a Honda has NOT won stock class!! Im proud of that....

I agree with you that a stock class should be stock class, if you want the best stock class bike buy the best stock bike...
Adam, you made a class decision yet? Congrats on the Champ.! Good luck!

Bart
01-09-2004, 05:36 AM
I think it is sort of funny (but not unexpected) that the guys who have already made the switch to the >400cc quads are saying keep it to one stock class.

I would argue that given 2 riders of similar riding skill, the rider on the >400cc quad is going to win >90% over the rider on the <400cc quad.

I have to guess that there are a lot of racers who have already spent >$5000 on 400ex's and Z400's who can't really afford to go and spend another >$6000 on a new TRX450R (or whatever) to compete in the stock class. The re-sale value of the 400ex's and Z400's is almost zero. And unless you are a phenominal rider, you have no real chance at being competitive as there are going to be many other excellent riders in that class on the >400cc quads.

What's the harm in splitting the class? I thought that this was supposed to be a fun sport. It's not like you are racing for prize money.

indygncc
01-09-2004, 09:29 AM
John- Either 4 stroke A or Pro Am, I wont be able to qualify for points though so I may just jump around to different classes throughout the year. You still running 4 Stroke A this coming season?

Fred, not saying its a bad idea but I dont think it is really that huge of an advantage as to what stock quad you are on. Not knocking on the V-Force here but it was obviously not the quad of choice for stock class competition, but I rode it anyway. Anyone who thinks I had a advantage with that quad in stock class needs to race one against those guys in stock class. This is just my opinion, if you want to run stock class and feel you cant keep up with the competition on say a stock EX, dont run stock class then. Its the same as trying to get the Pro Production class rules changed to CC limits. I think all the Pro Production riders would laugh at the idea of having a Pro Production 0-400 and a PP 401-Open, then there is no real Pro Production champ, same goes for stock class.

exriderdude
01-09-2004, 09:53 AM
just look at the dirt bikes, they are allowed to modify their suspension to the riders characteristics in the stock class, it should be the same way for quads.

Bart
01-09-2004, 09:56 AM
indygncc,

I would disagree with the Pro Production comment if you made the pros use the current STOCK rules. Then I think there may be a problem (or none of the Pros would run a 400ex, z400, etc...).

The old 400cc quads were competitive in stock form against the initial larger cc sport quads (ie, Raptors, Cannibles). But the new bread of "race" quads now being offered put the 400ex's and z400's at a serious disadvantage. Especially if they keep the stock shock rule as is (ie, if it come stock without rezzys, you cannot add new shocks with rezzys). I am just trying to help out the guys that have raced the stock class the past few years on older quads who cannot afford (or don't want) to either buy a new quad or upgrade their quad to run in one of the non-stock classes.

Again, this is just my thoughts. I won't be racing the stock class anyway. I'm way too slow.

And congrats on your 2003 GNCC championship. It was amazing to watch you race the VForce last year up front. Good luck this year.

indygncc
01-09-2004, 10:19 AM
I can definately see where you are coming from and it does make sense. I just think that it would be less exciting to participate in. I think it would be fun actually to race a stock 400EX against all the new 450s just for fun.

MJNOVA
01-09-2004, 10:24 AM
I agree with Fred either split the class . Allowing people to add rezes. will not cure it, then they have a advantage.

Wingnut
01-09-2004, 12:00 PM
I don't think there will be any need to split the stock class unless it gets too big, which is possible this year. I think there will be a lot of people who don't want to put a lot of money into their new 450s that may run stock class. Every class will have to be split at some point. If not, then the sport is not growing or advancing. The best way to do it would probably be with A, B, and then C levels when there are enough riders to justify doing so. I'd just hate to see the Stock class get moved to the afternoon because it would just blend in and probably get ignored. An A and B Stock class in the morning would be the best way to go about splitting it in my oppinion.

Pappy
01-09-2004, 12:01 PM
I can definately see where you are coming from and it does make sense. I just think that it would be less exciting to participate in. I think it would be fun actually to race a stock 400EX against all the new 450s just for fun.

lol....id be dead in the first 3 miles:p stock shocks have me hooked:D

Doibugu2
01-09-2004, 01:05 PM
What class can I run in since I have rez's on my shocks. I was figuring I would run C but not sure if I can.

jlhughes750
01-09-2004, 02:24 PM
the only class that regulates what u can use is stock.... u can run C with rez's!

Doibugu2
01-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by jlhughes750
the only class that regulates what u can use is stock.... u can run C with rez's!

thanks j-dawg, just wasn't sure.

BUCK442
01-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Wingnut
I don't think there will be any need to split the stock class unless it gets too big, which is possible this year. I think there will be a lot of people who don't want to put a lot of money into their new 450s that may run stock class. Every class will have to be split at some point. If not, then the sport is not growing or advancing. The best way to do it would probably be with A, B, and then C levels when there are enough riders to justify doing so. I'd just hate to see the Stock class get moved to the afternoon because it would just blend in and probably get ignored. An A and B Stock class in the morning would be the best way to go about splitting it in my oppinion.

I agree, I am going to be running stock class due to financial reasons. I do think that that there will be enuff for two classes and there will be a very visible line between former P.M riders and regular first year stock riders.

BTW: What row is stock starting on? :)

rowlrag
01-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Adam, I'll be 4st A, as long as I can keep this dinosaur alive! Not a single problem, well 1 fuel pump knock on a woody. I qualify for Pro-Am but I can't run that hard, A is hard enough, Cya tomorrow!

Admin
01-09-2004, 08:16 PM
I will be racing the Stock Class, and it should be alot of fun :D

BUCK442
01-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin
I will be racing the Stock Class, and it should be alot of fun :D

Look me up ExAdmin, I will be in Stock Class Also racing good'ol number 442 again, white YFZ.

Lets make it a ExRiders top 2 overall.:macho

Admin
01-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by BUCK442
Lets make it a ExRiders top 2 overall.:macho

I'm All About That :macho

I have started eating my Wheaties after racing in Florida, and I am Motivated.

Pappy
01-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin
I'm All About That :macho

I have started eating my Wheaties after racing in Florida, and I am Motivated.

get yer *** motivated to assembling your quad:eek: or youll be picture boy at texas:blah:

lshonda310
01-10-2004, 08:43 AM
if they (Racer Productions) don't let me race Pro-am, I will race four stroke stock.

BUCK442
01-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Ishonda::

Itsnotagaygay???:eek2:

lshonda310
01-12-2004, 05:36 AM
NO, lol, it's a Yammer Hammer

gncc35
01-12-2004, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by lshonda310
if they (Racer Productions) don't let me race Pro-am, I will race four stroke stock. what is your national number, or overall this year?

lshonda310
01-12-2004, 02:31 PM
I went from 23 to 95

BUCK442
01-12-2004, 04:35 PM
To bad you gotta change all those backgrounds, hell I have been 442 for about 5 years I think I have ran 8 races 3 years now, damn bad luck....

IsHonda, You guys helped pitt for me in MD and you had the tire changed before I could pick myself up off the pavement after you flipped me off the quad, You gonna let me and the Sheppard Wildman park next to ya again this year. I know Shep is a pain but I promise I will keep him off your women as much as possible..:macho

BTW: We all YamaDoggin to. Lane,Buss,Buchanan,Shepard.

lshonda310
01-12-2004, 05:22 PM
ya, the gaygay blew a radiator hose, and it would be great to pit with you guys again (Lewis and Stewart will be on Pro Row) but I am not worried about Shep on the women, I just hope you can keep him off of me!!!!:eek: :o

BUCK442
01-12-2004, 07:41 PM
He Kinna Funny That Way!!!!:blah:

Panda
01-14-2004, 09:47 AM
I think Ishonda310 should run VET class with Andrea.:D

BUCK442
01-14-2004, 12:20 PM
I agree, keep him outta stock class. He dangerous and breaks down alot!!! But now he is on good Eqipment.:p

gizmocor
01-14-2004, 03:26 PM
As of the GNCC banquet I understand the stock class rules to be the following:
-you can put aftermarket shocks on a stock quad as long as they don't add to wheel travel and the stock ones were not rebuildable. If the quad comes equipped with rebuildable shocks, you won't be able replace them you must fix or buy a new stock shock.

The aftermarket shocks being allowed in stock was to keep costs of racing stock down. If a 400ex rider blows a stock shock it is cheaper to buy an aftermarket replacement than a new stock one.

Considering that, I would rather run a 400ex with Custom Axis on it than a YFZ450 with stock shocks. Your going to be a bit down on motor, but the suspension should easily make up for it. Both in stock form the new race quads have a slight advantage, but a good rider could easily make either of them equally competetive. The new machines don't really handle any better than the old ones. JMO

MEL
01-14-2004, 04:14 PM
are you allowed to run tire balls in the stock class?

BUCK442
01-14-2004, 05:06 PM
What about baffle, and I guess you can re-work your stock shocks?

Wingnut
01-14-2004, 05:32 PM
The baffle has to be left in place. If they know you have revalved the stock shocks you will be disqualified.

BUCK442
01-15-2004, 07:44 AM
So you can rebuild it if it blows, but you can not change the valving or internal factory workings. How they gonna check that?

MJNOVA
01-15-2004, 07:53 AM
The change sounds resonable, except if alot of people are revalving there YFZ-TRX shocks...

Wingnut
01-15-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by BUCK442
So you can rebuild it if it blows, but you can not change the valving or internal factory workings. How they gonna check that?

If you can think of an easy way to check it, I'm sure Racer Productions would like to know. I'm sure there will be people who have their shocks revalved. As for me, I'm going to loose, but I'll be doing it with legal equipment.

MJNOVA
01-15-2004, 08:27 AM
There is no way to know unless they are torn down, but springs should be alot easier to see. Most times valving alone is not the answer, so springs would be needed. Color, shape and wire diameter should be easy to see.

BUCK442
01-15-2004, 08:54 AM
So can you run a big gas tank?

Wingnut
01-15-2004, 09:50 AM
In the past, I don't believe larger gas tanks were allowed. However the rule says noting about them. It says nothing about revalving the shocks either, but RP says that revalving is not allowed. In my opinion the stock class rules need to be clarified. There is plenty of room to bend the rules and have a $11-12,000 "stock" 4-wheeler.

Stock (ATV) - May change front shocks, tires, wheels, throttle assembly, axle, handlebars, grips, skid plates, plastics and seat covers, including those that add traction, but may not change seat height. May add bead locks, nerf bars, foot peg extensions, and open or closed end, metal or plastic hand guards. May not add steering stabilizers or air filter sleeves. May not add front shock reservoirs, or modify or remove front shock reservoirs from machines that come equipped with them. All motor components and rear suspension must remain stock. Aftermarket replacement parts may be used so long as they do not improve motor performance, add travel to the suspension, or have a reservoir. Example: must have stock pipe, silencer, carburetor, air box, air cleaner, rear shocks, etc....

BUCK442
01-15-2004, 10:09 AM
I agree. Pretty Vague rules. Anybody know anything else about stock class rules since the banQ?

indygncc
01-15-2004, 11:54 AM
I know for sure that you cannot run a larger capacity tank. There were races where I had to get gas twice with the stock tank on the V-Force.

cdalejef
01-15-2004, 12:56 PM
Ya but your are the only person that can hold the throttle on a v-force to its stops for 2 hours and live to tell about it. :eek2:

BUCK442
01-15-2004, 02:20 PM
I know for sure that you cannot run a larger capacity tank. There were races where I had to get gas twice with the stock tank on the V-Force.

That thing must suck gas like a F250 pulling a 20 foot box trailer loaded with 4 race quads going 100 mph!

Hope the yami get better g-mileage:eek2:

indygncc
01-15-2004, 07:42 PM
Id have to say it was better than a rollercoaster ride Jeff!!!!!!

Scott Kawi700
01-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Id have to say it was better than a rollercoaster ride Jeff!!!!!!

Thats why I love mine so much!!:D Never a dull moment on the V..:eek2:

lshonda310
01-16-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Panda
I think Ishonda310 should run VET class with Andrea.:D

if Andrea runs vet, I will be happy to run vet and follow her around , I mean show her the way through the woods, no I mean race against her, no I mean, you know what I mean;)

hareracer
01-16-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by lshonda310
NO, lol, it's a Yammer Hammer He finally saw the light.

BUCK442
01-16-2004, 10:57 AM
Lets Hope its the Light !!!!!!!:macho

lshonda310
01-16-2004, 03:37 PM
the light is so bright that I have to wear sunglasses :cool: Last year I think I was wearing blinders.:o

BUCK442
01-16-2004, 03:51 PM
IShonda:

I think Foutch, Myself and possibly Shepard are going to the Mid south next weekend, you up for it?

lshonda310
01-16-2004, 05:00 PM
possibly, but I don't have my wheels yet

BUCK442
01-16-2004, 09:34 PM
Pish Posh, My poor *** has to run stockers. Wheels schmeels. Lets go have some fun, the last time I got to race with you was at crab orchard I followed you the whole first lap,,,till the tranny went kadoiiing clunk!