PDA

View Full Version : camber and toe of a utility trailer?

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-08-2004, 12:35 PM
my dad is building a 6x10 utility trailer that uses a solid axle with leef springs. he felt the need to cut the hubs and stuff off to make it a drop axle so it sits lower. he re-welded the hubs and stuff on, i noticed it has some postive camber, and the tires are slightly toed in. we didn't think much of it and finished building it. as we took it down the road we quickly decided to return home, the trailer was hopping extremely bad and felt very unstable. we are certain the tires are balanced correctly so that only leaves us to think the camber and toe of the tires is causing this. what does everyone think? how should we set it up to stop this? thanks.

quadrcr161
01-08-2004, 12:38 PM
measure, measure and measure. make sure everything is square.

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
measure, measure and measure. make sure everything is square.

as in make the tires perfectly straight up and down, and no toe?

quadrcr161
01-08-2004, 12:48 PM
yea, get a centerline of the trailer and go from there.all toe will do is help it turn, but its a small trailer so you dont have to worrry about that. plus if it has toe it is scrubbing towing speed and will eat tires and gas of the tow truck, it will make it act like its towing more of aload.

Woodsrider
01-08-2004, 01:36 PM
Toe on a trailer should be 0 degrees. Reason being is as stated previously, poor milage, and tire wear. Also and just as important, if its toed in, it won't back up worth a chit. Camber also should be zero though its not as important a factor for anything other than tire wear.

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-08-2004, 01:55 PM
sounds good to me, thanks for the info guys.