PDA

View Full Version : Confused as He11

Out_Sider
01-08-2004, 07:29 AM
ok..my carburator is playing with my head...one day it runs lean, and the next it acts rich?? and also..after im done riding and i go to open the garage door..i go back to the quad..my head pipe is always red right at the first curve in the pipe?? And it smokes when you first crank it up. but then it doesnt smoke at all anymore once its warmed up. can any give me some clues to why this thing is doin wat its doin?

mustang
01-08-2004, 07:55 AM
Try rebuilding the carb probably has dirt in it I had same problems. check the seals for the accelerator pump look for other possible vacuum leaks. What jets are you running..

2004TRX450R
01-08-2004, 09:21 AM
Ya what he said. Also the glowing head pipes isn't a big concern. They will do that when left at idle for very long. It is especially noticeable at night

speedy400
01-08-2004, 10:26 AM
try checking the plug, if its messed up still every other day-work on cleaning the carb. Then smoking at start up meens your rings are going out.(they are cold and let oil threw when the engine is cold, then when it warms up the rings reseal and not let oil threw.)good luck-darren

bone705
01-08-2004, 10:41 AM
when i first got my exhaust on my 300 i wanted to hear what it sounded like so i started it up. within 5 minutes of idleing my headpipe was glowing. never had a problem with it after i jetted it.

Aceman
01-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by speedy400
Then smoking at start up meens your rings are going out.(they are cold and let oil threw when the engine is cold, then when it warms up the rings reseal and not let oil threw.)good luck-darren

Piston rings will continue to smoke even after the engine is warm. The smoke might be a little less after warm up but it will still smoke. Valve seals on the other hand will smoke when cold and almost completely stop smoking when warm.

I'd rebuild your carb first and get it jetted. If you still can't keep it from smoking, replace your valve seals. I don't think it would be your piston rings since yours are new, unless you didn't break them in properly. Keep an eye on the color of your plug and any deposits on the electrode.

cals400ex
01-08-2004, 04:07 PM
if it quits smoking after it warms up, its probally not your rings but your valve seals.

for the glowing headers:

if they glow at idle, turn your fuel skrew out up to 3 turns. if they still glow at 3 turns out, put in a larger pilot jet
if they glow at 1/8 to 3/4 throttle, move the clip on your needle down one position
if they glow at full thorttle, go up on the mainjet until they don't glow.

Greg Z
01-08-2004, 04:47 PM
you might have an air leak

Out_Sider
01-08-2004, 05:36 PM
well, im almost certain it isnt the rings because i broke it in properly..and was VERY picking on how i broke it in. Valve Seals maybe the problem because for the 14 weeks it wasnt running the head was just laying in a box, so they have cracked or somin, i dono. But for the glowing pipe...i'm running 155 main/ 40 pilot. but i was running a 45 pilot and it turned the pipe red faster than the 40 does now?? :confused: i runs good, but it just scares me how a fully rebuilt motor would do these kinda things? I know jetting on this is trial and error, but i thought it ran great with the current set up. but is the fuel screw that gold thing with the black tube following it??

bone705
01-08-2004, 06:22 PM
no that is ur idle adjustment. ur air/fuel mixture is on the bottom of the carb.

Aceman
01-08-2004, 09:17 PM
You need to replace your valve seals, that will eliminate the smoke on startup. What color is your plug?

Chef
01-08-2004, 09:23 PM
So the glowing headers were caused by a lean condition? I thought being rich would do that. Mine were red all the way back to where the two smaller pipes go into one big one while riding at night in the snow. And its got a 230 Main and 58 pilot in an FCR41.:confused:

cals400ex
01-09-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Chef
So the glowing headers were caused by a lean condition? I thought being rich would do that. Mine were red all the way back to where the two smaller pipes go into one big one while riding at night in the snow. And its got a 230 Main and 58 pilot in an FCR41.:confused:

i don't know anything about the fcr's, but you could still be lean on your needle too. that main seems to be pretty big though. :D

cals400ex
01-09-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
well, im almost certain it isnt the rings because i broke it in properly..and was VERY picking on how i broke it in. Valve Seals maybe the problem because for the 14 weeks it wasnt running the head was just laying in a box, so they have cracked or somin, i dono. But for the glowing pipe...i'm running 155 main/ 40 pilot. but i was running a 45 pilot and it turned the pipe red faster than the 40 does now?? :confused: i runs good, but it just scares me how a fully rebuilt motor would do these kinda things? I know jetting on this is trial and error, but i thought it ran great with the current set up. but is the fuel screw that gold thing with the black tube following it??

the fuel skrew is on the very bottom of the carb. the idle skrew actually is silver on the stock carb. the gold colored skrew on the side is a drain if i remember correctly.

you still may be lean on the needle? when do the headers glow??? at idle or when giving it a tad bit of gas??

2004TRX450R
01-09-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Chef

Headers glowing on the 400s is pretty common. Even with proper jetting. The way your bike is set up with all that you have done to it Donny it really doesn't supprise me if they glow at idle especially at night. When it is dark it makes it a lot easier to see. If it is lean it will make it run hotter wich will make it glow more or easier but when it is just sitting there idleing there is no wind across the pipe to help cool it so they will do it. I have even seen bone stock bikes with stock jetting that was running right have the head pipes glow.

By the way Donny thanks for the used hoosiers my dad got from you guys the other day. Hopefully my new bike comes on the 28th like it is supposed to and I am going to try to get a dune trip together in Feb. probably for Presidents day weekend. You should come down. I'm going to try to get dad to ask your dad for a day or two off so he can come too.

Oh ya and yes I wish I knew what you were building now!:D :D Why don't you build one for me!:devil: