PDA

View Full Version : Xc Bike Motored Quad

stamperbob
01-08-2004, 07:13 AM
Just wanting to know if anyone is or has ran a quad that has either a yzf426 or a cr450f, ktm520, in a cross country or hare scramble event, Im lookin into putting one of these motors into a 400ex frame and wanted as much info on these bikes as possible. I know there are alot of them at the GNC'S and motocross events but havent really heard much about them at GNCC events

Let me know what you think/ or any info you may have

Pappy
01-08-2004, 07:18 AM
i have seen the ktm 520 powered quad at several gncc's. it hauls ***

ryanh250ex
01-08-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
i have seen the ktm 520 powered quad at several gncc's. it hauls ***

i think what pappy here is failing to mention is that the 520 is a wee bit too tall to sit in a stock 400ex frame........at least i think it's too tall.i'm pretty sure it is.

Pappy
01-08-2004, 08:14 AM
lol ...welder and torch:devil:

yes i believe the ktm would have a bit of trouble squeezing in a 400 frame. but if someone is serious about a conversion ...why skimp on a stock frame

stamperbob
01-08-2004, 08:25 AM
lol ...welder and torch:devil:

yes i believe the ktm would have a bit of trouble squeezing in a 400 frame. but if someone is serious about a conversion ...why skimp on a stock frame

Yeah i know what you are saying, Im not totally stuck on using the stock frame, if i can find the right motor for xc racing then ill do whatever it takes, the main reason im asking is because i have a pretty nice 400 setup and would like to keep it handling wise instead of buying a new yfz or trx and putting 4 or 5 grand in to get it where my 400 allready is

Pappy
01-08-2004, 08:29 AM
yeah there will be alot of that same feeling now that the new quads are comin out.

i guess if i owned a tricked out 400 id do a few things:

1) id keep racing it as is until i started getting beat by the newer quads.....i said quads not just a better rider.

2) id set some pennies away and when i was ready id buy the new arens frame and either the crf or yamaha engine for it. (it accepts either engine) that way when its complete its a full on race quad fully aftermarket. now if you are running pro or pro production this wont be legal so take that into consideration

stamperbob
01-08-2004, 08:43 AM
yeah there will be alot of that same feeling now that the new quads are comin out.

i guess if i owned a tricked out 400 id do a few things:

1) id keep racing it as is until i started getting beat by the newer quads.....i said quads not just a better rider.

2) id set some pennies away and when i was ready id buy the new arens frame and either the crf or yamaha engine for it. (it accepts either engine) that way when its complete its a full on race quad fully aftermarket. now if you are running pro or pro production this wont be legal so take that into consideration

Great tips, thats actually what i had in mind right now, Im going to stay on the 400 until I either decide to get a new quad or start this project, im still tryin to decide what i should do.

bradley300
01-08-2004, 10:38 AM
i have seen the KTM quad also, as well as an aftermarket 250r frame w/ a husaburg motor. those are the only conversions ive sen in a while. FST did a yz426 motor in a 250r frame w/ banshee plastic that looked real sweet.

pappy's idea is the best, buy the aarens 400ex/crf frame. that way you can still run the 400 motor until you decide to swap, swapping will also be much easier with this frame

xcracer416
01-08-2004, 11:53 AM
ive seen a crf450 motor in a 400 frame. it was really really fast, but it had a dang good rider also.i race arkansas hare scrables and memphis harescrambles.

01-08-2004, 01:04 PM
where u live in arkansas??

xcracer416
01-08-2004, 03:09 PM
i am from north central mississippi, but i race alot of arkansas harescramble series