PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Quad Idea

Berry
01-07-2004, 07:00 PM
OK i am just brainstorming here so you guys can tell me if i am right/wrong whatver.... ok lets say you wanted an aftermarket quad and wanted too save as much money possible. could you go get like a used 400ex frame for cheap then go and buy tires/ a arms/ shocks, EVERYTHING u need but it be aftermarket. well not everything but you know what i am saying. maybe get a few used parts cheap. but im thinking this would save you from spending like 6,000$ on a quad THEN having too mod it. am i right?

Glow Plug
01-07-2004, 07:03 PM
yeah good Idea but personally if I HAD that sort of money to throw around to build a aftermarket quad, I would buy a good used machine part out all the parts that you wouldn't need (swinger, axle, bumper, shocks etc) and then you have a frame, plastics motor and a bunch of other things to use as a base for your aftermaket machine

01-07-2004, 07:05 PM
speaking of it does anyone know if you can fit a a motor from one of the new 450rs into a 400ex frame,.. the frames from a 450r and 400ex look similar, but you can tell in pics the motor mounts are different

lil400exman
01-07-2004, 07:11 PM
uhh what are your terms of full aftermarket? to me full aftermarket means a aftermarket frame..............unless you wanna do stupid arse pro production.......what a curse to our sport!:mad: :grr:

Atreyu
01-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Glow Plug
yeah good Idea but personally if I HAD that sort of money to throw around to build a aftermarket quad, I would buy a good used machine part out all the parts that you wouldn't need (swinger, axle, bumper, shocks etc) and then you have a frame, plastics motor and a bunch of other things to use as a base for your aftermaket machine

That's a better idea.

Chef
01-07-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Atreyu
That's a better idea.

Its not as good as it sounds...I have already did that once and it didnt turn out as cheap as I thought it would be.

The way to do it, I feel, is to buy an aftermarket frame, buy the necessary stock parts used (brake calipers, spindles, master cylinders) buy a motor, and then buy the rest as you see fit. Thats what I'm doing this time around, and it should turn out to be a much nicer quad. Plus, I'm using most of the stuff from one of my other quads to finish this one off.

Berry
01-07-2004, 07:24 PM
yeah chef thats what im saying here. if you bought an aftermarket quad then took everything off than you just blew about 6,000$ if u buy a new quad then ur taking everything off and putting better on it so why not make one lol