PDA

View Full Version : modifing stock a arms

Martin Blair
01-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Ok i did a search for inof and came up with alto but i still ahve some questions, my arms arnt bent and i would liek to keep my bike skiiny in the woods but i want my arms re pced and to replace old ball joints. So i figured i would cut out the old tube a weld a new tube in. here are my questions

Does the new sleeve for ball joints have to be a chrome moly? are the a arms even cheome moly?

Can it be mig welded or would you go with tig? how well does these hold up under racing?

and do you cut the whole sleeve out of the a arm or just drill out the stock one then put a sleve inside or that?

Thanks.

Woodsrider
01-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Someone on here has done this. I just cant remember who. I would also be interested in doing this, but would like to know more about it before hand. Other wise I may just go buy a set of A/M arms. I wonder if Burgard will well them uncoated, I would rather coat them my self that way I know they're done right.

Bob-Hobo
01-08-2004, 07:02 PM
You dont cut out the whole tube. u just cut off the ball joint. Making it about even with the a-arm. The a-arms are mild steel, not chromoly. Get straight a-arms before u mess with the bent ones, that way u can replace the crappy stock pivot bearings with nylon bushings.

Bad Habit
01-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by soggyrider
I wonder if Burgard will well them uncoated, I would rather coat them my self that way I know they're done right.

Yes they will. I just got an uncoated set from them tonite for a buddies Craptor. I must say, with the arms being unfinished, you can really see the quality of welds on em. Very nice looking work.

Woodsrider
01-09-2004, 08:45 AM
Did they charge you less for not having them coated?

Bad Habit
01-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by soggyrider
Did they charge you less for not having them coated?

Yes, Izzy knocked some off the price. Any amount of discount to me was good and appreciated. I ordered a bare set of arms from Denton Racing last year and they would not knock anything off, same price coated or uncoated.
IMO, the Burgard stuff is as good as, if not better than any other make that I have seen. I'll be going back to Izzy in the future.

JDiablo
01-10-2004, 08:37 PM
how much less did it cost you,i was thinkin about this very thing,funny how these things come up sometimes.How much did they deduct?

Bad Habit
01-10-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
how much less did it cost you,i was thinkin about this very thing,funny how these things come up sometimes.How much did they deduct?

I don't know if he would want me to say or not. Who knows, I might have caught him in just the right mood and he knocked off more than he normally would. But then again, maybe you'll catch him in an even better mood and you'll get one helluva deal.;)

Give him a call, he's friendly to talk with.......717-225-6234

JDiablo
01-11-2004, 10:11 AM
thats cool,but how botu u can PM it to me,lol,were they completely bare just raw metal?

JDiablo
01-11-2004, 10:12 AM
and do you have any pix to?

dirtmomma
01-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Well I may have read the post wrong but my A arms are stock ones that we made +3, now I couldn't really tell you what our welder did, I WAS there but it's a mumble jumble to me LOL but here's a pic. From what i seen him doing, he cut my lower ones & added tubing in there then the upper ones he made new ones but used my all my stock parts if that makes any sense:huh He also took my tie rods & cut them & added THICK tubing there also.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/p6dacf0ab812790181cef5af4845a3de4/fbb7d6e5.jpg

Woodsrider
01-11-2004, 06:29 PM
Kym what we're looking to do is to cut the balljoints off and then a sleeve is welded inside the existing tube where the balljoint was. The sleeve and the tube have to be cut off at the correct angle to ensure that you can properly set the camber when you install new, replaceable balljoints.

dirtmomma
01-11-2004, 07:00 PM
OK gotcha:D

Bad Habit
01-11-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
and do you have any pix to?

Sorry, didn't get any pics of them. They went to the coater the same day they arrived. They came totally bare metal, ready to be rinsed and coated.

Martin Blair
01-11-2004, 08:09 PM
ive been thinling about this and the ball joints alone will run 100 for good ones, and i am getitng a rpice quote this week but if its goign to be a total of more then 200 then i will buy some new houser.

toby400ex
01-12-2004, 02:20 PM
I dont see how it could go near $200 for this mod. The balljoints shouldnt cost anymore than $20 a piece, and theyre just what the aftermarket uses.