PDA

View Full Version : lowering the engine temp?

crashinmatt
02-20-2002, 02:57 PM
I read somewhere that putting a lead additive in your gas, and switching to a colder spark plug, lowers the temperature of an engine. Is this true? Why or why not? Also, what else can be done to help lower the temperature of a 400ex? I seen some air scoops from OMF. I think they look cool, also great place for sponser stickers. Is there anything else?

ChadEXer
02-20-2002, 03:13 PM
Yeah I also heard that if you run the DP9EA(I think this is right) instead of the DP8EA which is stock that it will lower your head temp by 5 degrees. So thats what i run in my 416. I also run VP Red 105 race gas that has lead in it but Im not sure if that does anything to the temp. I may be mistaken but it seems like Ive also heard that Synthetic oil helps it run a little cooler too. I run the Honda synthetic blend and ATV Motor Cool from High Lifter. My 416 definately doesnt run hot and I live in TX where its almost always hot!!

VegasEx'r
02-20-2002, 04:06 PM
If you really want to go all out, you could always switch to alcohol :). Four Stroke Tech has an auxillary oil cooler that claims to lower the temp by 50 degrees, so you could look (http://www.fourstroketech.com/fst_main.htm) at that if you want to, just click "new product release".