PDA

View Full Version : Modifying stock oil tank?

WKY400EX
01-07-2004, 01:14 PM
I've been thinking about modding my stock tank to hold another quart of oil, but is it possible? I've never seen the inside of the tank, so I'm unsure about the internals. My cousin owns a machine shop, so I could have him and his guys do the work for me. Also, anybody built their own aluminum airbox? Was it a PITA? If you can give some info on either topic, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks.

zephead400ex
01-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by WKY400EX
I've been thinking about modding my stock tank to hold another quart of oil, but is it possible? I've never seen the inside of the tank, so I'm unsure about the internals. My cousin owns a machine shop, so I could have him and his guys do the work for me. Also, anybody built their own aluminum airbox? Was it a PITA? If you can give some info on either topic, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks.

I am not sure about moding the stock tank. I know quite a few people here have made their own airbox which has turned out quite nice. Sit tight and you will probably get some good suggestions.

good luck

later

ledofthezep
01-07-2004, 01:29 PM
Yeah,...I'm sure you could build your own oil tank & possibly put some sort of fins on it for better cooling. Dunno....PITA(I absolutely hate the word---like nails on a chalboard, and who wants to stick a pita in their mouth!:p )

But in the tense you're seeing here on the forums PITA stand for: Pain In The ***.;)

WKY400EX
01-07-2004, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the replies you guys.

So is there any internal pieces in the oil tank? Or is it truly just a "tank" that holds the oil?

Hopefully someone will know much more about modifying the oil tank, and building your own airbox.

ewalker302
01-07-2004, 05:50 PM
Yeah it's just a "tank", it dosent have anything on the inside.

There is just a copper filter conntected to the bottom fitting.

:bandit:

WKY400EX
01-07-2004, 07:42 PM
I was thinking that I would have the machine shop cut in half horizontally, then weld in a couple of inches of material. This would make the tank taller, and hold more oil. Is there anything else I should consider with the modification? What exactly is the tank made of?

Is there anyone out there that has done any sort of modding or swapping of oil tanks (besides the UM Racing type). Thanks.

L.Vegas400
01-07-2004, 07:49 PM
Is there anything else I should consider with the modification?
when they put in that extension to you tank have them put tubes in like the pingry. ive been thinking of doing this.

WKY400EX
01-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Would it be worth it to mod it? Or would I be better off just buying an aftermarket tank like a CFM Performance one?

JD400exrider
01-07-2004, 10:22 PM
Would it be worth it to mod it? Or would I be better off just buying an aftermarket tank like a CFM Performance one?

I don't think i would bother with moding the stock tank. One of the biggest problems with the stock one is the bottom of the tank where the bolt screws in completely breaks off. The quality of the after market ones are better. I have the pingry tank and it is very nice quality. Keep an eye out in the for sale section and one will turn up. ;) I paid 125.00 and my stocker for the pingry. I thought that was a good deal. :D

Good luck

JOEX
01-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Another thing to consider is if it is taller you you be able to manuver into place when reinstalling?

And I agree with JD400exrider about the drain bolt. I'm wanting to get one just for that reason.;)

Joe

JOEX
01-07-2004, 10:38 PM
And the stock tank is made of aluminum, very thin aluminum....

Joe

WKY400EX
01-07-2004, 10:51 PM
Okay, screw modding the OEM oil tank. I'll look around for cheap one. I guess it'd just be easier to buy one.

Anyway, what about the airbox? Anyone built their own? I'm looking at one basically because of the battery relocation factor. Having all the electronics in the box and off the subframe seems like a good idea. Does anyone have any plans or info about building one of these for a 400EX? Thanks.

phebus
01-07-2004, 10:52 PM
Here is a link to a Pingry for sale on e-bay Pingry e-bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43977&item=2453077177)

phebus
01-07-2004, 10:57 PM
And air box, since your asking Pingry air box (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43977&item=2453077142)

WKY400EX
01-07-2004, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the links. I found a CFM brand on Ebay, but not the Pingry.

01-08-2004, 01:08 PM
if you moded your stock tank then you couldnt read the oil level correctly either. just a thought.