PDA

View Full Version : Removing The Choke?

fas400ex
01-07-2004, 03:57 AM
HEY GUYS, I HAVE BEEN BUILDING THIS BIKE FOR THE LAST YEAR WHILE I AM DEPLOYED IN IRAQ. I WILL BE HOME NEXT MONTH AND JUST DOING SOME FINISHING TOUCHES BUT ANYWAY, MY QUESTION IS ABOUT REMOVING THE CHOKE AND A 42 PILOT JET THAT I HEAR EVERYONE TALKING ABOUT ON THIS SITE. WHEN I MENTIONED IT IN A EMAIL TO MY MECHANIC HE SAID IT WAS NOT A GOOD IDEA. I HAVE A DYNO JET KIT IN MY BIKE AND IT DOES HAVE BIGGER PILOT IM NOT SURE WHAT SIZE HE SAYS HE WENT WITH BUT HE SAID WITH A 42 IT WOULDNT IDLE RIGHT. HE SAID IT DOES START BETTER IN THE COLD BUT I WAS JUST CURIOUS IF ANYONE KNOWS IS IT BECAUSE OF THE DIFFWERENCE IN STOCK JETS AND DYNO? IS IT MAYBE THE EQUIVALENT? ALSO I MENTIONED TAKING OUT THE CHOKE AND HE SAID HE WOULDNT SUGGEST IT, IT SEEMS LIKE ALOT OF GUYS ARE HAVING LUCK RUNNING THIS SETUP. CAN YOU STILL RUN IT IN THE SUMMER OR DO YOU NEED TO REJET IT? I HAVE REALLY BEEN THINKING ABOUT THE FCR BUT HAVE HEARD PROBLEMS OF IT NOT FITTING RIGHT. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!
PHIL

Derrick D
01-07-2004, 05:28 AM
I run no choke with a kehin 42 pilot, & it idles fine. It is still a whore to get strated when it's cold out though. I am going with a FCR 39 this summer when I redo my engine, & I can ride again.

NeonImpact
01-07-2004, 05:50 AM
a buddy of mine had a '01 400ex with 42 jet and no choke and it was still a pain in the *** to start in the cold mornings..

either way it'll run fine, but the temp. change solution is not always successful...

UglyMotha™
01-07-2004, 06:21 AM
taking the choke out was the best thing i ever did for my bike i used to have the dyno jets with the 42 pilot and she ran fine and she also starts effortlessly in 10* weather, my brothers stock bike is a pia to start

kargaaro
01-07-2004, 06:36 AM
I agree. The mine starts much easier with the choke removed and it hasn't flooded out since. Just practice starting it without using the choke for a while before you remove it. I run a 45 pilot.

01-07-2004, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by fas400ex
HEY GUYS, I HAVE BEEN BUILDING THIS BIKE FOR THE LAST YEAR WHILE I AM DEPLOYED IN IRAQ. I WILL BE HOME NEXT MONTH AND JUST DOING SOME FINISHING TOUCHES BUT ANYWAY, MY QUESTION IS ABOUT REMOVING THE CHOKE AND A 42 PILOT JET THAT I HEAR EVERYONE TALKING ABOUT ON THIS SITE. WHEN I MENTIONED IT IN A EMAIL TO MY MECHANIC HE SAID IT WAS NOT A GOOD IDEA. I HAVE A DYNO JET KIT IN MY BIKE AND IT DOES HAVE BIGGER PILOT IM NOT SURE WHAT SIZE HE SAYS HE WENT WITH BUT HE SAID WITH A 42 IT WOULDNT IDLE RIGHT. HE SAID IT DOES START BETTER IN THE COLD BUT I WAS JUST CURIOUS IF ANYONE KNOWS IS IT BECAUSE OF THE DIFFWERENCE IN STOCK JETS AND DYNO? IS IT MAYBE THE EQUIVALENT? ALSO I MENTIONED TAKING OUT THE CHOKE AND HE SAID HE WOULDNT SUGGEST IT, IT SEEMS LIKE ALOT OF GUYS ARE HAVING LUCK RUNNING THIS SETUP. CAN YOU STILL RUN IT IN THE SUMMER OR DO YOU NEED TO REJET IT? I HAVE REALLY BEEN THINKING ABOUT THE FCR BUT HAVE HEARD PROBLEMS OF IT NOT FITTING RIGHT. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!
PHIL

I hope your mechanic has a day job cuz he's full of poop and doesn't know what he's talkin about..:eek:

I have dynojets in my quad right now, a keihn 42 pilot jet (dynojet kits only come w/main jets no pilot jets), I also have the choke removed and the mofo starts every time I want it too..:cool: It idles just fine also.

If you got the cash buy a FCR but make sure to get the fuel screw or you'll have problems gettin it dialed in..

YZROOSTINYA
01-07-2004, 09:07 AM
try diff starting technique!

YOU HAVE TO PUMP THE THROTTLE IF YOU REMOVE THE CHOKE!

45 pilot over here . pump throttle 3 times. it will fire and run for about 3 secs then die

repeat 1 or 2 more times. its as easy as that.

takes about 10 secs total.

if your idle is funny, adjust the idle screw:blah:

good luck in IRAQ man!!!!!

PHAT400
01-07-2004, 09:49 AM
I'm still fudging with mine.........

Thank you for my security bro...

My 5 year old thanks you too...

Be safe and come home to ride...

PHAT400
01-07-2004, 09:49 AM
I'm still fudging with mine.........

Thank you for my security bro...

My 5 year old thanks you too...

Be safe and come home to ride...

01-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA
pump throttle 3 times. it will fire and run for about 3 secs then die

repeat 1 or 2 more times. its as easy as that.

takes about 10 secs total.

Derrick D
01-07-2004, 07:54 PM
I don't know what the deal is with my bike, even with the choke the whore never wanted to start when it was cold. You probably shouldn't have any problems. Take it out and if you don't like it that way put it back in.

Bill Fuller
01-07-2004, 08:07 PM
Can't wait till you get home soldier Clarksville misses you.I'm with everyone else 42 with the choke removed and she will be fine.Sweet looking quad by the way,shame we can't ride at Fort Campbell any more.

fas400ex
01-08-2004, 12:03 AM
HEY GUYS THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE, I HAVE NOT DECIDED WHAT TO DO YET. GLAD TO HEAR OTHER CLARKSVILLE RIDERS ON THE SITE. I SHOULD BE HOME WITHIN THE NEXT 30 DAYS. WHERE DO YOU RIDE AROUND CLARKSVILLE? WE RIDE IN GREENVILLE KY,LBL AND THEN EASTERN KY, OHIO AND INDIANA!!!
PHIL

topdawg909
01-08-2004, 01:08 AM
how about if you just remove the choke? do you really need to put the pilot jet in? just curious. im sure others are wondering the same thing. travis

01-08-2004, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by topdawg909
how about if you just remove the choke? do you really need to put the pilot jet in? just curious. im sure others are wondering the same thing. travis

It is almost a must to install a larger pilot when you remove the choke. I've ran a 40 in there before also and it did OK but the 42 made the biggest difference. :cool:

mustang
01-08-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by fas400ex
PHIL I would get a new mechanic I have a 42 and no choke and its the best thing I have ever done... the Ex has an accelerator pump so you can richen it by pumping, the choke is usless get rid of it

dariusld
01-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by topdawg909
I didn't add the bigger pilot, but I live in a warm climate.

YZROOSTINYA
01-09-2004, 09:22 AM
you need the 42

mustang93
01-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by dariusld
I didn't add the bigger pilot, but I live in a warm climate. If it never gets cold enough to use the choke where you live you wont need to change the pilot jet. put it this way , if you arnt using the choke it woul be the same if you just didn't have it.

hondarider2006
01-09-2004, 04:14 PM
my friend removed the choke on his 400, and it had a lot better throttle response than mine. As soon as my stearing stem gets into c&d, my piolet jet will be on its way with it to my house, and I am taking it out. I do ride in cold weather(anything below -20 and I don't ride) but when I stop, its usualy at someones house, with a warm garage, so when I leave it starts right back up. I have a 42 and a 45 on the way, so I guess we will see which one works the best!

BTW fas400ex, I have been reading some of your posts, and you always posts pic's of your quad. I will admit, nice quad! but why do you always posts pic's of it in your posts? Just resize it and use it as your avatar, instead of wasting site storage space! If you need some help doing this, just pm me:cool:

k2-dawg
01-09-2004, 07:57 PM
I just took my choke out, put in a 42 pilot, pump throttle 2-3 times fired it, repeat, idled just fine.