View Full Version : OT: Does anyone play drums?

SGA
01-06-2004, 09:17 PM
I've always wanted to play drums, I picked up all of this for $125 from a friend. I need to get the screw tip for the left bass leg. Well then I needed a place to play, so I set this up in a corner in the garage. I can carry a basic beat, but I'll get better with practice. Its alot of fun:)

SGA
01-06-2004, 09:20 PM
:blah:

Berry
01-06-2004, 09:24 PM
thats the best 125$ you could ever spend? did it even include the AMP????????????????? JESUS

SGA
01-06-2004, 09:32 PM
No, just the drum set and hardware. Thats my Fender Blues Jr amp on the left (Great amp), a small take along crate amp next to it, and my Behringer amp on the right. Spoon plays guitar some, I drum, then we switch around.

Chef
01-06-2004, 09:40 PM
That seems like a hellluva deal to me...:eek:

400EX_Kid_03
01-06-2004, 10:25 PM
too bad you dont live up by me! me and my friend sean write so much chit, we just dont have a drummer, he plays acoustic and electric guitar, sings, and I play bass and do backup vocals

gimpbzkt400ex
01-06-2004, 11:01 PM
NO CHIT!!!! That is one hell of a deal especially for a set of Pearl's........

derekhonda
01-06-2004, 11:08 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/400ex/PIC_drumset.JPG
^^my set

damn good deal would be an understatement on your set, got about $2200-2500 in mine

if you want to teach yourself buy some videos, got some "basic rock drums" video myself years ago, very corny, but very helpful.

is that the export series?

derekhonda
01-06-2004, 11:09 PM
wow, i have no idea why my pic is so large, sorry:confused:

SGA
01-06-2004, 11:17 PM
Yep, they are export series. Thats a nice drum set you have!
The music store was out of the Basic Videos the other day. Next time I head to town, they should have some in.

derekhonda
01-06-2004, 11:20 PM
yeah thanks, ive been playing off and on for several years, and been addin to it ever since. I bought a dang double pedal one day for some reason (300$ many years ago, now about $100) and am yet to figure out how to play with it. Sure looks cool i guess:rolleyes:

Motoman440
01-07-2004, 04:05 AM
I played drums for many years. 5th grade is when I started and played all the way through college. I was a Ludwig player and still have the set but have not touched it since 1994. It sits in it's cases as I type. Nice set though at a great price!!! Don't give it up like I did. But then again kids and quads take up alot of time and music is extremly time consuming. Just not enough time for all of it I guess.

redroost85
01-07-2004, 09:06 AM
Nice pics guys! I have played since I was in the 4th grade and all the way through college. I have always loved it. The rather embarrassing thing is that I really can't read a note of music. I just play by ear. It has worked all these years too, lol! I wish I had space for a set, but my place is small so I have syntheiser type set. I think it helps keep my rhythm and endurance on the track too, lol!:D

250exen
01-07-2004, 01:53 PM
hey, i have a set just like that except it is dark green. dude you got one heack of a deal!! now you just gotta start addin more stuff so you can get more funky with the beet! haha, once you start buying stuff, youll never stop!

hondafox440
01-07-2004, 02:11 PM
I used to play. I had black Export set. My drum instructor sucked though and he made me dislike drums because he was so boring. I eventually gave up and sold the set last year.

Brad
01-07-2004, 02:15 PM
i would have bough that for 2 or 3 times as much... but im a guitarist so i dont envy you as much as a drummer should...great deal

Ralph
01-07-2004, 02:21 PM
hey derek, i heard ur band is called the boondock saints... well on the boondock saints website it says there already is a diff boondock band

derekhonda
01-07-2004, 04:11 PM
hmmm, not sure i fully understand what you are saying, yes im in a band called the boondock saints, are you saying there already is a band called that?

JTRtrx250r
01-07-2004, 04:34 PM
SWEET SGA!!!! I play everyday,(16yrs) BTW...you got a steal on that kit, Congrats!!

This guy is into quads,karts,drums and milfs...ya think we might be long lost brothers LOL

derek..., B8's.......aw man:( (hard to beat the price on a beginner cymbol pack huh haha,BTW ...Tama or Ludwig?...I cant tell from the pics, DUH..shoulda just looked at the hardware and not the lugs...Pearl

for those who dont understand B8's....its like putting atc 90 tires on a Walsh race quad,lol,they kinda serve the purpose and are better than nothing,....but if youve checked into drum kits and cymbols,you'd understand, this stuff is as $pendy if not more than quads. The kit Im after is gonna cost 16 grand:( ...

Ive played every kind of kit I can think of, maple,birch,beechwood etc, the best sounding kits on the market are Ayottes(Canadian maple and hand made) My buddys got one and I love it,that thing almost plays itself haha

If you can post a pic of the leg anker so I can see what it looks like...I'll dig in my stuff,its possible I might have it,then again maybe not,but it wouldnt hurt to check

again Congrats SGA,and practice paradiddles,ghost notes and rudements....even if it kills ya haha,good luck to you!!:cool: :D ;) :macho

250exen
01-07-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
again Congrats SGA,and practice paradiddles,ghost notes and rudements....even if it kills ya haha,good luck to you!!:cool: :D ;) :macho

ahhhhhh, paradiddles, i remember them...... i was the best in my class at them...:devil:
anyway, you are right, drum stuff is soo expensive..
ohh im guilty, i have the cheep ziljin symbols, ohhwell, there better then nottin ehh?
ohh, my dream set is only about 5 grand.... electronic set with all the goodies!

JTRtrx250r
01-08-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by 250exen
ahhhhhh, paradiddles, i remember them...... i was the best in my class at them...:devil:
anyway, you are right, drum stuff is soo expensive..
ohh im guilty, i have the cheep ziljin symbols, ohhwell, there better then nottin ehh?
ohh, my dream set is only about 5 grand.... electronic set with all the goodies! Hell yeah they're better than nothing haha,My first set of cymbols were Pearl...we all know they are much better at making drums than the brass lol:o

seriously though guys..I really didnt meant to pick on your brass(which now days are barely even brass anymore), I was just pokin fun at ya,my other passion is drums/music so when I see nice decent kits w/ B8's its like seeing a trick quad w/ steel wheels and balloon tires lol

Ive been checking out a few electric kits lately myself, so far I like the Roland V drums...but damn..it is $pendy for what it is,but it has the closest feel to real acoustics of all the others Ive played, A somewhat decent electric kit (altho somewhat old school in electronic drums) is the TD6, I like it better than the TD7... the 7 feels a little more fake to me and figured it'd be cheaper for now and I can set it up w/ my regular acoustic kit,man..that Roland-V has some wicked inspirering sounds thats for sure:D :macho :macho

BTW SGA...I dug thru my cases and dont have any Pearl stuff anymore...except my first set of hats , I used to have a buncha export stuff, actually not sure what I did w/ it:huh I'll keep diggin'

batgeek
01-08-2004, 12:53 AM
i'm a percussionist demmit, i don't play drums! :p

JTRtrx250r
01-08-2004, 01:29 AM
lol...I also dont like that term "skin beater" haha:p

batgeek
01-08-2004, 01:35 AM
hehe. don't get me wrong, i love playing a nice little trap set in a tight blues or jazz group...but you gimme 4 timpani and a 60pc orchestra and i'm in heaven!!

JTRtrx250r
01-08-2004, 03:31 AM
Wow..cool!! Ive been gettin' into some latin stuff lately, I try to be as versitile as I can,theres so many diffrent styles of music and beats I wanna be able to play, and so many artist I look up to, I still love jammin' w/ my buddys but I play more for myself anymore,just not as motivated for the band thing anymore...or at this point anyway..but who knows

Im not very consistant in the way of what style I play ...its more of a mood thing anymore, that and finding a group w/ the same kinds of idea's and views that dont want to become rock stars and think they're still gonna "make it",let alone styles of music.

I play for the love of it,
I also like everything from Yanni to Pantera haha,

just no country or rap:( :huh

blondie69
01-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Whoa! U got a wicked deal on those drums!!! Those are sweet!!
I play drums:p I played percussion in band from grade 6-9, and I was the one that was usually on the drum set (if there was drums in a song). Oh and I remember those paradiddles and all that crap:rolleyes: Also I was in Jr Jazz band in grade 7-9, and Sr Jazz band in 9-10 (I played in 2 bands in grade 9 and then the regular band). This is my set...my dads old set of Ludwigs. I love them tho, such a deep bass drum *drools* The set I played at school was a pos. But I only know 2 styles of druming, Jazz (obviously) and then rock. Not really heavy stuff tho.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/pf462525badea44026121bbdc95a80960/faa28fe5.jpg

JTRtrx250r
01-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Nice blondie, make sure you dont ever get rid of that kit...,it might be worth some good$$, Ive gotten rid of some older stuff I sure wish I didnt:rolleyes: , I have those same roto-toms on my kit too,not to mention it also chrome:cool: ;) Great to see this many ppl that play:cool: :blah:

SGA
01-08-2004, 01:19 PM
This thread got more replies than I thought it would! Thanks everyone:)

khen
01-08-2004, 01:28 PM
I've played drums off and on since I was 10(25 years). I had a big double bass dark green Pearl Export set with 8 toms and 6 cymbols in the early to mid 80's. I got sick of lugging those around for the pennies I made playing at the local clubs. I've been playing electric kits now for about 14 years. I currently have a electric kit with the addition of Roland R80 pads and I'm triggering a Alesis DM5 drum module. I bought my son(10) a new drum set from Walmart for xmas for $250 with a couple of cheap cymbals and I'm teaching him now.

blondie69
01-08-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
Nice blondie, make sure you dont ever get rid of that kit...,it might be worth some good$$, Ive gotten rid of some older stuff I sure wish I didnt:rolleyes: , I have those same roto-toms on my kit too,not to mention it also chrome:cool: ;) Great to see this many ppl that play:cool: :blah:

Naah, I won't ever sell my kit, like it too much, and plus, too many memories. Like I remember my dad wanting me to play it when I was like 4 yrs old, he'd sit me up and try n teach me how to play:blah: Thats cute tho that we have the same roto-toms, both in chrome too:p (btw, I never knew they were called that, I just called them the smaller toms, I don't know all the technical terms for all the accesories, I know tom, bass drum, snare, high hat, etc, just the basics, lol)

p@iNn3ck
01-08-2004, 01:43 PM
Hey SGA, nice set! And like the room! I had to do the same thing and build a studio (and soundproof it) so the wife would let me keep playin! Now if she'd just let my buddies come back over, we'd really cause some trouble!

my studio (needs to be cleaned!)
http://home.centurytel.net/allenlm/pics/room.jpg

this one was hiding upstairs
http://home.centurytel.net/allenlm/pics/guit.jpg

blondie69
01-08-2004, 01:49 PM
is that a gibson les paul guitar?

This is my brothers Gibson Les Paul Goldtop...sry bout the flash...the guitar is really shiny:blah:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p49c47b42a0a7a46d3e1bda0db5b732e8/faa28fe7.jpg

JTRtrx250r
01-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Man... Im a bonehead:rolleyes: lol, I sat there talking about my acoustic kit as the electric that I want:rolleyes:

khen...did you not notice or just not want to say anything haha:D

SGA
01-11-2004, 10:42 AM
I have a question. What drum heads does everyone use? The drum set I have has Remo pinstripes on it. I have read up on ambassadors, might try them one day. It did need tuning, thats for sure. Replaced two broken heads so far, plus cleaning it up and making adjustments. Its starting to sound right.
The Top hat is a paiste 302, sounds fair, its gonna go soon. The crash is a 16" paiste 502. Not too bad. I was looking at a set of crashes online, Paiste 502's or 802's. 14' top hat, 16" crash and 20" ride. $200 is my limit for new cymbals.

JTRtrx250r
01-11-2004, 12:36 PM
Remo pinstripes are great ,but fade rather quick..month tops..before they just loose tuning ability and start to sound dead,also depends on how you play, Atcually that goes w/ any heads ...play hard -no last lol, Aquarian heads are great also,I really like the coated Auqarians alot too. The only heads I cant stand are Evans hydrolics (thick and feel like your playing frisbee's haha). Theres many diffrent heads by all out there,lighter heads I think are easier to build technique and coordination ..I think.

Open or concert toms(1 head on top--bottem-no head) are MUCH easier to tune but not as tunable(range wise),Drums are pretty much like a guitar or even a race motor..it just depends on how its set-up and dialed-in.

The bad thing about cymbols is the cheaper ones break easy and just dont have much feel or action. take your time w/ cymbols and remember...NOthing has to match,and most ppl's kits dont. Go w/ what you can afford..when you can

SGA..in case you haven't noticed...Im not the best at putting thoughts into words LOL, hope it kinda helps

:D ;)

ATC Crazy
01-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Here is my set....Ive had it about 4 years now...

http://3wheelerworldforums.com/download.php?id=7067

'99 6-peice Pearl Export Series, dual bass pedals, Sabian cymbals (shoulda got the Zildjian's :mad: but these were all I could afford at the time).

Guy400
01-11-2004, 02:47 PM
My wife plays the skin flute, does that count for anything:confused:

:devil: