PDA

View Full Version : axle bearings

redrider69
01-06-2004, 05:35 PM
yea can i get a little help on how to get them out and check to see if there bad or not

4TraxRider
01-07-2004, 07:40 PM
If the axle moves front and back when the wheels are off the ground they are bad. To take them out, you have to take the axle out, then get a punch and hit the sides of the bearings to get them out, then put new ones in and put everything back together and grease it.

bone705
01-07-2004, 08:34 PM
alot of the time ur gotta beat the chit of of them to get out.

01-07-2004, 09:40 PM
ok...put your swingarm up on a jack...move the wheels up & down...if there is any play or free movement up & down or side to side in your swingarm/axle then your bearings are toasted

250rider
01-08-2004, 07:15 PM
just keep it on the ground and grab ur wheelie bar, if it moves back and forth alot and u here clicking, they are badm but make sure its not just ur hubs that r lose.

Out_Sider
01-11-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by 250rider
just keep it on the ground and grab ur wheelie bar, if it moves back and forth alot and u here clicking, they are badm but make sure its not just ur hubs that r lose.

wtf is a wheelie bar?? But my axle bearings are starting to wiggle..so im gonna need to replace those soon :grr:

01-11-2004, 02:57 PM
wheelie bar is the back bar that keeps your four wheeler from going backwards during a wheelie ;) mine is bent to a 45 degree angle up from going backwards during a fifth gear wheelie :eek2:

deathman53
01-29-2004, 06:43 PM
if you have a lsr double row carrier they are very hard to get out, I tried and took mine to a machine shop and they heated the carrier, then press them out. I beat them for a hour and I felt that is was worth the $30 and he put the new bearings in.

01-29-2004, 07:21 PM
i'm pretty sure that he has stock....the stock carrier bearings aren't any easier to get out....i had to take mine to my friend who has a machine shop to get pressed out.

deathman53
01-31-2004, 09:10 PM
I picked up my carrier today and the guy told me if was very hard to get them out. I replaced them in a warrior I had-fairly easy, 85 tecate 250-very easy. now I get the fun of replacing swingarm bearings in the same bike, the last one I did I bent my c-clamp and had to unbolt my bench wise to get them in. Hope these ones aren't that bad.

markk
02-03-2004, 11:23 AM
i tried to replace mine last night after this tx race, and well its alot easier to take the carrier out of the swingarm,a nd put into a vise!
I used a vise and first and then got lazy and put the carrier on a wooded work bench and hit a couple of times with a hammer, and well it cost me a new carrier, i busted the part where u tighted up your chain and now the whole thing is junk, just take your time and be careful!

ILGNCC400EX
02-03-2004, 12:20 PM
heat the carrier up with a propain torch they will come right out.put the new ones in the freezer heat the carrier up again they will fall right in

ILGNCC400EX
02-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by markk
i tried to replace mine last night after this tx race, and well its alot easier to take the carrier out of the swingarm,a nd put into a vise!
I used a vise and first and then got lazy and put the carrier on a wooded work bench and hit a couple of times with a hammer, and well it cost me a new carrier, i busted the part where u tighted up your chain and now the whole thing is junk, just take your time and be careful! i told ya to do it here

markk
02-03-2004, 08:35 PM
I SCREWD UP!!!

hey dan the left bearings where good, and the right was junk, part of the bearings fell out when i tried to pull it out with my fingers.
i really didnt hit it that hard, it iono mabey was brittel anyways, i thought about having it welded, but i dont think im gona do that i just bought a RAD double row with grease Zerk!

Out_Sider
02-04-2004, 12:57 PM
have u ever thought about puttin a gease fitting onto your swing arm? i was thinking about that, but dono if it would work...it seems like that would definatly be an easy way to do it..grease them, that is

02-05-2004, 12:12 PM
the stock bearings are SEALED! theres no use greasing them

kerby400ex
02-07-2004, 12:37 AM
Hey man, I ordered a RAD carrier around New Year. Everything fit up perfectly. Very good quality and it's cool to have the zerk. Hope you like yours as much as I do mine.