PDA

View Full Version : a arm painting

QuAdEr 317
01-06-2004, 04:03 PM
i just got a set of used a arms their 250r stocks going onto a 250x i want to paint them but i dont know what kind of paint to use so if ne1 used ne paints that held up or ne that didnt please let me know thanks

MotoX3
01-06-2004, 04:27 PM
just had a guy around here do that(put R a arms on his 250X)and he culdnt get his to fit right....so he comes over here and the only way we saw they would fit was by heating and bending them:eek2: ...and that weakens metal and weak metal is not something you want on your quads suspension....but he got them on and rode over here last night...never found out how he did it....but tell me how it works out for you...oh and about the paint....ive never seen painted a arms...just pc'd ones...you might want to try that:)

400ex#18
01-06-2004, 05:15 PM
if you want i can give you the # to berkshire custom coating, my sponser, and see what they can do for you. What color you looking for anyways?

250rider
01-06-2004, 05:56 PM
talk to pappy, does awesome powdercoating from what i have heard.

Sick0
01-07-2004, 07:48 PM
if the ball joints arn't removable then, you can't powder coat them. when they bake on the powder coat, it boils the greeses inside and ruins the ball joints.

Pappy
01-07-2004, 07:57 PM
its not the grease that you have to be concerned with. there is a nylon locator cup between the actual ball joint and the housing in which it is contained. i have seen several sets pc'd and ive even done a few for friends that wouldnt have it any other way.....but i dont recommend it and refuse to it any more.

Sick0
01-07-2004, 08:00 PM
the heat doesn't effect the grease.

Pappy
01-07-2004, 08:03 PM
the grease could easily be replaced. the nylon "cup" acts as a cushion between the ball joint and the housing. when pc is cured to proper temp it becomes fluid (soft) and when it cools it can become brittle. it never leaves the ball joint but doesnt work like it was intended. this fact could lead to the ball joint breaking prematurely.

like i said ive seen tons of them done at the races. ive yet to hear of anyone actually having a problem but as stated i wont do them and dont recommend it.

bone705
01-07-2004, 08:30 PM
do u know if its a good idea to get the ball joints machined out so they can accept aftermarket ball joints?

Pappy
01-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by bone705
do u know if its a good idea to get the ball joints machined out so they can accept aftermarket ball joints?

id say with the availability of lower priced NEW a arms like burgard and others at $420 and also the price of used aftermarket arms...i dont think it makes a ton of sense. if you could do all the work or someone you trusted could do it for less then $100 then maybe

speedy400
01-08-2004, 10:33 AM
I painted mine maybe a week ago, I went with a gloss rustolium on the bottom(easy to touch up) and a metal flake blue(looks like a shimering candy apple blue) and clear coat, under bolth I put a rustolium primer that is great for on top of some old paint. With enough dry time they seem to be holding up alright...-darren

hondaex03
01-08-2004, 12:32 PM
If you do paint them use Dupli Color spray paint and clear coat. I did it on my warrior it turned out pretty good and it was cheap.

QuAdEr 317
01-11-2004, 09:54 AM
hondaex03 when you did it to your old warrior did it last long?

westcoastmxer
01-11-2004, 04:41 PM
im wonderin the same thing man(wut should i use?).im doin it to some 400ex arms on my 300ex.i think ima do it red.

lil400exman
01-11-2004, 07:18 PM
there was a few peices that i painted on my R...........use primer and a lil before that sand it a little then clean it clean and clean it again to be safe then primer it then a light wet sanding then paint 2-3 coats..................it looks great and you cant really tell the difference between the two..............i couldnt but if i looked real close i could tell a wee bit of difference..............also while ur painting it hang it dont lay it on newspaper..........also if you need to mask stuff of use alum foil...............works great and its fast!;)