PDA

View Full Version : Tranny went on the yfz 450

Sick0
01-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Racing in the quad olypmics this weekend i lost the 5th gear and 4th followed on the mx track. the yfz is only 3 months old. This is the first problem I have heard about the yfz. i hoping the warrenty covers it. The worst part about it the next day i was racing with 1st,2nd,3rd gear in the TT practice and broke my swingarm and the chain snaped and broke the case. i very surprized this happen.

01-06-2004, 03:36 PM
haha :p

jay's 300
01-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Sorry to hear man, hope Yamaha takes care of ya. That is a pretty decent damage report for 2 days! :eek2:

Sick0
01-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Did i mention i also broke my a handguard, brake leveler, and one of rear rims. one of my best weekends for breaking things.

AtvMxRider
01-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Z400MXgirlie

:huh

JDiablo
01-06-2004, 04:06 PM
boy,sometimes these things just happen,which sux man,hope u get that thing fixed and racing soon

popo
01-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Geez, hope this thread doesnt go into 20 pages of a pissing match.

Sounds like the same problem they had with the 01 Raptors

EX 80
01-06-2004, 04:38 PM
you got some crappy luck, your 400ex tranny went at one time too.

kc 300EX
01-06-2004, 04:45 PM
Dont you know them things aint meant to be raced:rolleyes:

EvilJester400EX
01-06-2004, 05:06 PM
That really sucks, but, why in the world were you running a race the next day when your transmission was already starting to go? :confused:
Hope Yamaha takes care of this for you, let us know.

300exHILLER
01-06-2004, 05:47 PM
DUDE That sucks!!!!

Sounds like a normal race weekend for you tho. When are you going back to a honda????

LTandRaptorider
01-06-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Z400MXgirlie

yeah... that's real friggin funny:mad:

When you have to start buying your own parts, you won't think so.;)

markeg192
01-06-2004, 08:16 PM
WOW You must be real fast!

ILGNCC400EX
01-06-2004, 08:18 PM
that sucks man let us know how yamaha handles it.o ya you might wanna take those race numbers off before you tell the dealer, chit man i was just putten down the trail an the dam thing just broke

Nausty
01-06-2004, 08:30 PM
yeah I got a friend who broke a swingarm already on his. Hes pretty good but I was just surpised seeing that I was going a lot bigger than him the last time we rode and my ex swingarm wasn't even marketed for racing and I never had any problems.

01-06-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
yeah I got a friend who broke a swingarm already on his. Hes pretty good but I was just surpised seeing that I was going a lot bigger than him the last time we rode and my ex swingarm wasn't even marketed for racing and I never had any problems.

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/hihi.gif

BigAl
01-07-2004, 11:21 AM
The best way to keep from breaking parts, is to stay in the house and argue on the internet.

I went through 2 swingarms and a rear shock in the first year with my 400ex. :D

Sick0
01-07-2004, 03:25 PM
well they already know i race it. I bought it from the same people that I'm sponser from.I'm just surprised the tranny chit the bed. i haven't heard anybodys lose there tranny yet. And 4th 5th gear really don't take that much abuse for MX. I rarely use 4th or 5th. they sayed they would look at it. I geuss I'm really going to see if Ronnies mail order and Yamaha stands by there producted. If the 6 month warrenty covers any thing, I would thing it would be some thing like this.

but on the swingarm, Theres was some pretty big jumps, and a tough track. I had the suspesion not adjusted well and landed pretty hard a couple of times so, i can't really blame Yamaha for that. On my 400ex, I'm still running the stock swingarm and i beat the chit out of it.

WalshKFX
01-08-2004, 07:55 AM
damn dude. that sucks. i hope u get it all fixed before the neatv season.

Pappy
01-08-2004, 07:58 AM
damn sicko...i post the frame shots where it broke and they want me hung by my neck. you chit can the tranny and swing arm and noone iz givin ya lip:grr: :blah: damn yamaha's:p

dirtmomma
01-08-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by EvilJester400EX
That really sucks, but, why in the world were you running a race the next day when your transmission was already starting to go? :confused:
Hope Yamaha takes care of this for you, let us know.

Well I haven't read thru the whole thread yet but I was wondering the same thing:huh Especially on a TT track, that just hammers your ride bad but to take it out not all there hummmm oh well hope yamaha takes care of ya & it's too bad!!!

coryatver
01-08-2004, 11:03 AM
I don't think he came all the way from MA to watch.

Moto92
01-08-2004, 11:53 AM
Sorry Dude....
You raced it....warrenty is void! :eek:

400exBro
01-09-2004, 03:21 PM
everything has it limits, a little wrong move could cause something to break or malfunction...
i was just wondering, do you clutch a lot like a 2 stroke??
do you speed shift(shifting with out using the clutch)???

this is really weird, i haven't heard much about yfz450 tranny's going, i think you just had a bad weekend, luck was not on your side.
Also if a gear might of chipped, you kept riding and that peice probably jamed/wrecked the rest of the tranny compents. Did you find any fine metallic particles in your oil??

BUCK442
01-09-2004, 04:42 PM
I have been racing a 400ex for the past 5 years and have come across the same breakdowns. I have broken 3 stock swingarms ( up untill 2001 when they fixed them) and have replaced the tranny on two 400's a 99 and 02 model. I have only three rides on my YFZ but so far no problems, but my previous problems listed above did not happen until about 6 mo of racing.

Lets hope that Yamaha takes care of it's riders as well as Honda. I got a 1 year extended warranty on my 99 for free because I was one of the first to break the frame and swingarm, which I was told that my stuff was sent to R and D to research. Honda does take care of it's riders.:cool:

gizmocor
01-09-2004, 06:50 PM
Tranny thing sucks and does concern me a bit. On the swingarm, most of the time when you see someone with a broke swingarm it is because they have to fast a motor for the crap suspension. Put some good shocks on it and I doubt you'll see that again.

Sick0
01-10-2004, 09:08 AM
I'm disappointed about the swingarm. It was the first time on a new track with a lot of jumps. I didn't land perfect on these jumps. The finish jumps is basicly a 50ft hill climb jump with no landing. and my shocks were set soft. i bottomed out alot. Any swingarm would probly broke.

The tranny didn't just break. it more like wore out. Its kinda didthe same thing as my 400ex. but with 5th. i notice it slipping a month or less after owning it. but thought maybe the clutch slipped a little. and it didn't really happen that much and the fact i'm not in 5th gear alot the probly really never happen .

I do use the clutch alot like a two. a lot of times coming into a turn a will slip the clutch a little to get the rpms up or when i rode in the woodds i would use the cluth all of the time in toght techical sections.