PDA

View Full Version : Removing Light Switch/Start Button

Moto92
02-20-2002, 12:22 PM
Is there a way to remove the light switch on a 400EX and still have a way to have an electric start button. Once I get aftermarket plastic and a hood scoop I will no longer have the headlights on my 400. With no lights I wont need the light switch.
This way I can eliminate that bulky switch on the bars.
Is there an aftermarket smaller start button out there somewhere.

QuadRacer041
02-20-2002, 02:03 PM
yes what you need to do is buy a kill switch for a YZ dirtbike or really any 2wire kill switch, that will be used as your start button.
then were you unplug your stock assembly you need to use the removed assembly and trace the wires up to the start button to see what color they are and then use the wires from your new starter button and tap them into the plugfrom were you removed the old.

crashinmatt
02-20-2002, 03:49 PM
I agree with quad041. I've done this, with a YZ kill button. I ran into one problem, I changed my clutch perch at the same time, and found I couldn't start the motor unless I was in neutral. I don't know if you have already done this or something like it, but I also traced the wires from the safety starter switch from the clutch perch down passed where the stock unit plugs together and tied them together. You have to remember to pull the clutch in when you start though.

02-20-2002, 08:10 PM
I have a kill switch like you are talking about, it has a 48 inch double wire kill switch. I bought it off e-bay for $7 and I no longer need it. If you want I will sell you it for $7 including shipping. Let me know at TRX250R8@aol.com Thanks, Phillip

02-20-2002, 08:13 PM
OO yea and I forgot to say, it is the size of a YZ switch, except chrome, with a red button. It is brand new too

Moto92
02-20-2002, 11:07 PM
I sent you an email TRX 250R

QuadRacer041
02-21-2002, 06:11 AM
yeah crashin is right, i forgot to mention the neutral switch , do what he says to do with it