PDA

View Full Version : YFZ450 takes the 12hrs of atv america race!!!

eddings
01-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Not to start a war or anything. Just wanted to point out that a yfz is aslo a reliable machine, which seems to be the reason many hard core honda boy's won't buy a yamaha. The YFZ took first in the pro class by nearly nine minutes, and took third in the A class and third in the B class. Not too bad for an unreliable yamaha. They did change a-arms, shocks, swingarm, air filter and exhaust, but 95% of all racers will change these items on any machine they race.

ThumPIN_450R
01-05-2004, 09:33 PM
what did they do about the over charging the battery problems they were having at PDV

coryatver
01-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Turned the headlights on

2004TRX450R
01-05-2004, 11:29 PM
Ok so thats like YFZ-1 TRX-3 now as I recall. That aint to bad. You can't win them all! Also just because a quad wins one race doesn't mean that it is reliable or not. Just that it will hold together long enough for one race.

eddings
01-06-2004, 07:57 AM
What three races has the trx won other than the baja?

Pappy
01-06-2004, 08:05 AM
when did quads start racing themselves:confused: last i checked a "rider" made the quad haul ***:cool: good rider....good quad. brand means JACK:devil:

adema
01-06-2004, 08:06 AM
the trx also won an Mx race i forgot which one but it was a while ago and it beat a yfz that was all tricked out and the trx only had itp holeshots and i think i think a white bros pipe

MX#9
01-06-2004, 08:44 AM
It was an expert in the 30+ int. class at Glen Helen. See Pappy's post, he is one of the few who have this figured out. Good riders win races on just about anything, and yes it's just that simple. Great quads do not produce great riders, but great riders put in great rides, no matter what color the machine is. The checkered flag is still black and white, great riders just see it first.

Maxx_Action
01-06-2004, 09:36 AM
Man...

I swear reading these posts is MADDENING!! Pappy seems to be the only one who has any sense at all on this topic! The YFZ is a great quad, I have one I know! The TRX450R is gonna be a great quad, I have had many Honda products, and Honda has been doing this for far too long to make junk! It is always gonna come down to the rider! I have a friend who had been riding 250 r's for almost 15 years, while I just returned to quad riding after about a 10 yr hiatus. When we drag raced a few times, I beat him by 12 or so in a hundred yards every time! When we practice jumping his r (with TCS shocks) will bottom out where mine won't. I got electric start, he doesn't. I have about 45 horse or whatever while his 250 r is probably in the mid 30's. When we get on the track, I always get the holeshot but as soon as we get into the course I can't keep up cause he is a better rider than I am! Now give me some more time and practice that may not be the case, but all of this argument and banter back and forth is RIDICULOUS!! MY dad can beat up your dad! no I have a bigger penis! Yeah well my nads weigh 16 lbs! Please guys, grow up!! If you like Honda, buy a Honda, If you like Yamaha, get one of those! But quit arguing because it is just plain stupid.....

Maxx:mad:

MX#9
01-06-2004, 09:55 AM
Well said Maxx, Well said.

eddings
01-06-2004, 11:55 AM
I agree it is the rider not the machine that wins races. But, a lot of handa owners have said that they won't buy a yamaha because of reliability. I was just showing that the yamaha won a very popular and intensive 12hr race, which speaks to reliability.

2004trx450r, the Yamaha has won many races to this point in both xc and mx. They are by no means limited to this win alone. Before you make comments make sure you know some facts.

Pappy
01-06-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by eddings
But, a lot of handa owners have said that they won't buy a yamaha because of reliability.

Before you make comments make sure you know some facts.

9 out of 10 people bashing ANY brand are teenagers that arent far enough from the tit to make a comparison reliably. when industry people give thier opinions then i listen. the rest is folks poppin off at the gums:bandit:

01-06-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
9 out of 10 people bashing ANY brand are teenagers that arent far enough from the tit to make a comparison reliably. when industry people give thier opinions then i listen. the rest is folks poppin off at the gums:bandit: yfz sucks :p

86atc250r
01-06-2004, 04:25 PM
when industry people give thier opinions then i listen.

It's definitely a good idea to listen to the industry folks, but at the same time, you have to remember that they have favorites and ulterior motives sometimes - run everything you hear and see thru the filter first :)

The best thing to do is to educate yourself. Then you can spot potential problems and design flaws yourself & you will also know when someone is BSing you.

Topic at hand - yes a YFZ took 1st at the 12hrs - but remember that a YFZ also lost the 12hrs due to problems (Ballance's team).

One race doesn't make or break a quad, or establish it's reliability record. Winning the Baja was nice for the 450R but doesn't necessarily mean much in the big picture.

Neither of these quads will be a bad choice for racing - they're close enough that what it's going to come to is which offers the most advantages for your particular situation. Neither quad is going to put you on the podium or take you off it because of which you chose....

4fiddyR
01-06-2004, 06:09 PM
I believe someone on a yfz won an overall at a National this year also. I think it was Ellis!

AtvMxRider
01-06-2004, 06:17 PM
9 out of 10 people bashing ANY brand are teenagers that arent far enough from the tit to make a comparison reliably. when industry people give thier opinions then i listen. the rest is folks poppin off at the gums:bandit:

2004TRX450R
01-07-2004, 01:04 AM
2004trx450r, the Yamaha has won many races to this point in both xc and mx. They are by no means limited to this win alone. Before you make comments make sure you know some facts.

I was merely pointing out that big deal since the TRX has been raceing it has pretty much won every race it has been in and now the YFZ won one. Also that you can't base the reliability off a bike winning one race. Yes the YFZ has won a lot in the past as well but I was refering to since the TRX has been raceing. Yes I'm a Honda fan. I work on bikes for a liveing and from what I see in the shop Honda is the way to go. Yet I also know that it does come down to rider. You could put Doug Eichner (sp?) on a 300EX and most anyone on this forum on a new built YFZ or TRX450R and I bet the 300 would be the first across the line.

eddings
01-07-2004, 07:45 AM
I too was merely pointing something out, that the YFZ is not as unreliable as Honda people want to believe.

You are still making contradictory statements that the YFZ has only won one race and the Honda 3. Then you say the YFZ has won many.

Then you say it comes down to rider ability which I already pointed out is more important.

You are right about one thing Honda's are generally more reliable than the Yamaha. Then again, if you properly maintain your quad it should last a long time anyway.

29FTEX
01-07-2004, 09:29 AM
I think he was saying that the YFZ450 has won 1 race out of all the events the 450R was entered into, with the 450R not entered into many at all. How many 450R's are out there being raced right now compared to the YFZ. I believe that was his point (sorry 2004TRX450R if I'm wrong). When the 450R is released, and there are as many 450Rs entered in as YFZs, then you can compare all you want. I don't care.

Right now, the YFZs on the track should far out number the 450Rs on the track, thus the odds of a YFZ winning should be higher. So, to come on this board and try to prove something about that 1 YFZ win since the 450R has been raced, is not worth arguing about.

Buy what you want, race what you want, make it a good race, and congratulate each other afterward. If you win, act like you've been there before. If you lose, do your best to get the top spot next time. It's fourwheelers and racing, not life or death. Some just can't see that because of their competitive nature.

Play nice and live to ride another day.

:)

As far as the 450Rs reliability, who knows yet.:confused:
I know 3 people who have YFZs. One of them this fall at Little Sahara, OK, had a bad oil leak. The counter shaft seal on the front sprocket was put in backwards. It was evidently noticed at the factory, because there was silicone all around it to try to keep it from leaking.
Everyone has there bad days, even a Yamaha factory worker, but that was pathetic. Other than that, the others haven't had any problems that I know of. Of course, a couple of trips to Oklahoma per year won't bring out the worst in most any bike.

eddings
01-07-2004, 12:22 PM
I am not sure some of you read all the posts before you comment. I never once compared the number of wins the YFZ has to the 450r. I merely stated that it won the 12h race by a substantial margin and that it must be reliable to last through that intense of a race with Chris Borich racing it.

It would be stupid to compare the # of races won between the two quads.

Hammer trx450r
01-07-2004, 01:48 PM
if anybody here thinks the yzf is junk, your crazy. if honda never came out with the 450r we would be at our yamaha dealer getting put on a list. Besides arent we sick of one sided races? Don't you think this competetion is going to produce better quads for us.

29FTEX
01-07-2004, 03:37 PM
I had read the entire post before I wrote what I did. I was replying to hopefully clear up what was confused about the number of races won conversation.

If you wanted to make a statement on reliability of the YFZ, and not make any comparison to the 450R (in wins or whatever), why post the topic on the 450R info board? There are other places to post that info on. You knew a lot more people would see it here and not on the "Racing", "Race Coverage", etc boards. Whether you did it intentionally or not, you made a comparison by posting where you did.
I'm not flaming you, and have never said a cross word about a YFZ. I only stated first hand facts. I'm replying to what I see. Take it as that.
I look on this board for 450R info, as do others (including YFZ owners), what you posted is far from 450R info. Unless you meant it to be a looky here 450R lovers and future 450R owners.

Quad18star
01-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Red Blue Yellow Grey . Who cares what you ride or race , as long as you go have fun . Its funny how lotta people can say that Yammy is crap but I'm guessing prolly 90% of them have never rode one . Then you get all the guys saying that the TRX 450 is the hottest thing ever . Sorry to say but unless you're Tim Farr or up there in the industry ... you havent rode one yet!! But I guess some people are so brand loyal that they'll believe anything they read . Worse than my buddy that thinks Yamaha and Ford are the hottest things to hit the earth . Sure theyre good , Sure theyve been around for year . Sure they break down also . Just like Chevy Dodge Toyota etc etc .... Until the end of the race season ... when all the points are in ... i think people should stop saying one is better than the other . When the points roll in ... then you can start to brag . Sorry I dont usually respond to topics like this but they're really starting to piss me off !!!

2004TRX450R
01-07-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
Yes the YFZ has won a lot in the past as well but I was refering to since the TRX has been raceing.

There is no contradicting statements here.

As far as reliability of the YFZ I personally haven't seen any in the shop for work yet. I know we have sold a few of them too. I have seen SEVERAL YFM660Rs in for clutches and starter clutchs. Also a few WR450s in for sheered flywheel keys and one had several problesm with kicking back and brakeing the crank case and a kick start shaft. I have seen several other Yamahas with starter clutch problems. I haven't really seem many inherent problems with the 400EXs at all or the CRFs. I think most of the reliability issues are from bikes past. This track record between Honda and Yamaha is where the reliability issue is comming in more so than the YFZ or the TRX as neither has been out long or is out yet so that is the only thing to go off of so far. Winning one 12 hour race doesn't mean anything really. I'm sure there was a polaris predator in there too and polaris is probably one of the most trouble ridden bikes I've worked on. So until both units have been out for a year or two and have had some real time on them you can't really say one is more reliabe than the other based on the units themselves but only on the past track record of the companies.

Also I would have to agree about the guys posting YFZ comment on this forum and the number of YFZ guys that are posting here. This is a Honda forum. So if you have a YFZ and want to stir up trouble don't post. We don't want to see it here. If you have a YFZ and have some informative thoughts on the TRXs then please by all mean post what you know. Just don't start in with the "YFZ is better than the TRX" stuff because all that is going to happen is a big fight!

Hammer trx450r
01-08-2004, 04:50 AM
If i had my trx450r I'd be here to find out how to make it faster, not on a yzf site telling everyone its faster. losers

biohazard1.2
01-09-2004, 04:58 AM

Damn...we totally agree.

Pappy
01-09-2004, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by biohazard1.2
Damn...we totally agree.

see, its all in the way you "read" what people post:blah:

Pappy
01-09-2004, 06:40 AM
and as far as "industry" people:confused: i dont listen to many that have a buck to make off backing a product unless they actually ride and have a history of being fairly "non-judgemental" with any type of review. i have chatted with several top riders and builders in this country and hearing that the yamaha is passing expectations is refreshing. these riders and builders have been die hard honda since birth and for them to give the yamaha a fair shake is saying something.

i geuss you just have to be open minded to "get" it:D

eddings
01-09-2004, 07:46 AM
I posted this on the 450r forum because I was reading so much about people saying they were tired of waiting and were unsure of the reliability of the YFZ. I did not post to start an arguement. I thought that 5 YFZ's in the top 8 of a 12h endurance race would say a little something about reliability.

I hope there are no hard feelings. I never once made a direct comparison about the two quads.

Hammer trx450r, no one has ever mentioned that either bike is faster than the other. You just proved my point that a lot of people post without knowing what they are posting about.

2004trx450r, it was your first sentance that contradicts your last quote.

2004trx450r you posted, "I was merely pointing out that big deal since the TRX has been raceing it has pretty much won every race it has been in and now the YFZ won one."

2004TRX450R
01-09-2004, 09:02 AM
2004trx450r, it was your first sentance that contradicts your last quote.

2004trx450r you posted, "I was merely pointing out that big deal since the TRX has been raceing it has pretty much won every race it has been in and now the YFZ won one."

How is that a contradiction? Maybe you should reread it. It says "it has pretty much won every race." NOT it has won every race.

No offense and this isn't directed soley at you but people in general on here need to learn how to read an entire post and not skip over parts and pieces. This would help cut down on a lot of the posts of people argueing about things that were never actually said.

eddings
01-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
How is that a contradiction? Maybe you should reread it. It says "it has pretty much won every race." NOT it has won every race.

No offense and this isn't directed soley at you but people in general on here need to learn how to read an entire post and not skip over parts and pieces. This would help cut down on a lot of the posts of people argueing about things that were never actually said.

I am not reffering to the part about the 450r winning most of the races it has been in. I am reffering to you saying that "now the YFZ won one." Then later you say "it has won many."

Maybe you meant that the YFZ finally won a race that also involved the 450r.

All I know for sure is that so far it has won a lot of races, but what matters most is the rider ability and the reliability of the machine. Without either of those you aren't going to win many races.

MX#9
01-09-2004, 12:20 PM
It looks to me like the YFZ is winning just about all the races lately. Of course us Honda fanatics hope this soon changes.

01-09-2004, 01:02 PM
This is what i've been hearing lately when 3/4 of all the YFZ owners talk------->http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/blahblah.gif