PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium & Polishing

Chef
01-05-2004, 08:44 PM
Is it possible to polish out Magnesium? I know that its obviously going to stay the goldish color, but will it just look like polished gold, or will it still be dull looking? I'm trying not to chrome it, since I get a very good deal on my polishing work, and they need to be bright so they go with the rest of the motor, which will be totally polished. Thanks for the help..

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-05-2004, 09:51 PM
it can be polished to a mirror finish, but soon after it starts to look very bad (tarnish). perhaps you could polish it and then have it clear coated? if you can't do that i wouldn't even bother polishing it.

Chef
01-05-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
it can be polished to a mirror finish, but soon after it starts to look very bad (tarnish). perhaps you could polish it and then have it clear coated? if you can't do that i wouldn't even bother polishing it.

That is a good idea...thats what will probably happen. Thanks

MIKE400EX
01-07-2004, 08:40 PM
Chef,
Mag. polishes very easily, unfortunately just as quick it will oxidize and turn gray. There aren't any paints, sealants or powder coating that will stick to polished mag, they'll peal right off. It will anodize, but not the same way as aluminum does, and only anodizes to light/dark green, light/dark brown and a white-(ish) color. The gold color you have seen is a chemical treatment that is semi-opaque, and not very durable. PM me if you need more info, we treat a ton of it at our shop.

K_Fulk
01-07-2004, 08:51 PM
How would this stuff work everyone says it holds up for a long time except for abrasion like if you doing a side case cover. But chef should probly look into since he has so much polishing done. And if you have used it how does it hold up for you.

http://www.zoops.com/zoopseal.asp

Chef
01-07-2004, 09:05 PM
I guess I will just chrome them...it would have been sweet to get that gold plated look you know, or maybe I will just sell them and buy the aluminum ones?

310Rduner
01-07-2004, 09:34 PM
If you want them gold looking, then get them Gold plated, dumbass:blah:

Chef
01-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
If you want them gold looking, then get them Gold plated, dumbass:blah:

:cuss: