PDA

View Full Version : Rims

2001400ex
01-05-2004, 07:46 PM
OK, this may be a stupid question, and if so I apologize, but I want to get the rims on my 400 black, I know that you can powdercoat them...but I wanted to see if any of you guys have tried alternatives other then powdercoating, that will hold up through trail riding, and look good too, I don't want it to look like I just took paint and slopped it on my rims with my hand, I'm sure there's got to be something else out there other then powdercoating? If not I know Pappy that you have your own powdercoating shop (I think?) How much would it cost me to get all four rims powdercoated from you if you accept things like this I sent them to you? Or would I be better off bringing them somewhere local? Help would be appreciated. Thanks...

hondarider2006
01-05-2004, 08:11 PM
I would say that your best be would be powercoating....I have never heard of anything else other than maybe spray paint, but it would look pretty nasty. It shouldn't cost THAT much just to get your front rim's powercoated...maybe $50 at the max;)

2001400ex
01-05-2004, 08:14 PM
OK thanks for the info, yeah I agree that spray paint would look preety nasty, wouldn't come out good most likely...I don't really know anything about powdercoating as far as pricing goes, I figured it would cost an arm and leg to get all four powdercoated.

motoboy66
01-06-2004, 03:00 AM
You might want to look into por51, or it might be por15. There was a thread on here about guys using it to paint thier frames. I looked into it and it is supposed to be very hard long lasting paint. I think they have a starter kit for around $15.00. I don't know how well it would work on aluminum though. Try serching for it.

Todd

hondarider2006
01-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex
OK thanks for the info, yeah I agree that spray paint would look preety nasty, wouldn't come out good most likely...I don't really know anything about powdercoating as far as pricing goes, I figured it would cost an arm and leg to get all four powdercoated.

It shouldn't cost that much. My friend and I went to a local powercoating place here in TN, and he said it would be around $65 to do his whole frame:) That is if we already had it sand blasted, but he also told us that he could get it done for a pretty cheap price.

2001400ex
01-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the info motoboy, I'll search for it, and thanks for the heads up on pricing hondarider.