PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise?

hondaryan
01-05-2004, 07:41 PM
2003 400ex - I hear a "ping" or "click" type noise that appears to be coming from the left side of the engine under acceleration in 1st or 2nd gear. The noise is more so when the engine is cold (sometimes warm) and it does not happen all the time. Maint has been done including a valve adjustment. The quad is stock with approx 40 hours. Any ideas?

phebus
01-05-2004, 09:18 PM
Our new '04 does the same thing, and my friends '03 also does the same thing. I'm always carefull to warm it up well before riding, because it primarily just makes that noise when cold. Ours sounds more like a little chirp then a clicking sound.

300exthumperluv
01-06-2004, 03:01 AM
Check valve adjustment, but thats only a guess.

44oEX
01-06-2004, 05:38 AM
Well the only thing in the left side cover is the flywheel. and the only thing I can see that would be wrong would be that you ran out of oil and fryed the bearing but if you always had oil in it I would say don't worry about it.

phebus
01-06-2004, 08:11 AM
On mine, the sound seems to be coming more from the right side/front. It seems like a very small exhaust leak that goes away as soon as it starts to heat up.

hondaryan
01-06-2004, 10:02 AM
I thought the noise is coming from the left side of the engine, but is hard to tell when I am riding the quad. The oil is always checked and its never been run out of oil. Sounds like other peoples 03 - 04 400ex's are making a simular noise. I just want an idea what it is and sould I repair it before something major happens.

44oEX
01-06-2004, 06:20 PM
On mine, the sound seems to be coming more from the right side/front. It seems like a very small exhaust leak that goes away as soon as it starts to heat up.

It amost sound like you have a head gasket problem but If it stops when it wormsup that is probably not it.But you could aways check if the torque spec on the head studs is good.

If it is check you head pipe bolts maybe they got lose and just seal when they worm up or maybe even change the pipe gasket ( ring ) that might help.

You probably check your valves already but it won`t hurt to check them again maybe they where set wrong.

WhiteBros400ex
01-07-2004, 09:50 AM
I had that same problem and after about 3 weeks at the shop i got it back.It was a connecting rod bearing and it wore the crank shaft from having a bad bearign so i had to get a new crank shaft, connecting rod, connecting rod bearing, and a new piston so i just got bored to a 416 cause it had a lil wear on the cylinder from the connecting rod not lettign the piston go up and dwon stright so if i where you i would take it to the shop. Luckly mine was under warenty and honda paided for every thing but getting it bored and the high compression piston.

hondaryan
01-07-2004, 11:18 AM
White Bros, How many hours were on your quad when you noticed the noise and does Honda have any knowledge of this problem that you know of.

Scott-300ex
01-07-2004, 02:05 PM
a high pitched ping or tick is going to be in your whole valvetrain assembly 98% of the time

Cody_300ex
01-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
a high pitched ping or tick is going to be in your whole valvetrain assembly 98% of the time

;)