PDA

View Full Version : Another young girl dies after ATV accident

Foxyangel0425
01-05-2004, 07:33 PM
Young girl dies after ATV accident in Lorain County
Reported by Monica Robins
POSTED: Sunday, January 04, 2004 5:56:48 PM
UPDATED: Monday, January 05, 2004 7:03:34 PM
WELLINGTON -- A third youngster was killed and another injured for the second time in 11 days in an All Terrain Vehicle accident.

The latest victim is 14-year-old Lauren Hendrix from Lorain County. She was an experienced rider who lost control without protection. Her passenger, 14-year-old Caitlin Bender of Elyria, is in serious condition at MetroHealth Medical Center.

Hendrix was an honor student who wanted to become a dentist. Saturday, she and a friend jumped on an ATV for a quick trip down the road, leaving their helmets behind.

Hendrix lost control of the ATV on Quarry Road near State Route 162 and ran it into a tree.

Jim Mahon repairs Honda ATV's at Elyria Harley Davidson.

"My son is nine-years-old and I have a throttle limiter on the gas so he can only give it so much gas," Mahon said. "But I'm constantly watching him and I also make him wear helmet, gloves, boots and chest protection."

If Hendrix had been wearing a helmet, there's still a possibility that she could have died.

Those who ride ATV's should heed the warning stickers and have proper education.

"Most companies that make four-wheelers offer free training," said Mahon. "And like Honda, they'll reimburse you a hundred bucks once you finish that free course."

Those with ATV's should talk to their dealership about safety courses and a throttle limiter to control speed.

Hendrix's funeral is set for 11 a.m. on Wednesday at Wellington's Norton Funeral Home. She was also an organ donor and saved at least four other lives.

For information on ATV safety courses, call the ATV Safety Institute at 1-800-887-2887 or visit their web site.

Training courses are held at different locations throughout the year within a 50 mile radius of every zip code. The cost is $125 for a four hour course for those 16 and older and $75 for kids six to 15. Two other family members are free.

Foxyangel0425
01-05-2004, 07:36 PM
How many more kids have to die for them to wake up?

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/sarge/Disappointed_anim.gif

LathersR
01-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Musta been blonde's.. too dumb to realize there wasn't any helmets on their head's .. sorry to hear..

hondafox440
01-05-2004, 08:08 PM
It's a shame she died, but people really need to stop being so ignorant and wear their damn helmets. They may think they are a hot shot when they are crusing down the public road at 45MPH, but they sure as hell aren't when they are 6 feet under.

Bob-Hobo
01-05-2004, 08:09 PM
That sucks. Seems every atv related death is 2 kids riding a quad with no helmets.

01-05-2004, 08:13 PM
there is some problems

1 there not expirienced
2 passenger
3 riding on the road
4 no helmet
5 lack of intelligence

doing that is like putting on antlers and running throught the woods on opening day of hunting season

Chef
01-05-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Controversial

doing that is like putting on antlers and running throught the woods on opening day of hunting season

LMAO!

Glow Plug
01-05-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Controversial
there is some problems

1 there not expirienced
2 passenger
3 riding on the road
4 no helmet
5 lack of intelligence

for sure

I know that it is sad that people lose their lives but they would be a heck of alot safer if they would just use their heads. An atv is not a toy :rolleyes:

Foxyangel0425
01-06-2004, 05:40 AM
hate to say it but where were the parents in this situaion?

dhines
01-06-2004, 08:08 AM
I love the use of the word "victim" - as if the machine willfully attacked her... Tragic story, but as usual the machine is not the culprit - stupidity is...

UglyMotha™
01-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by dhines
I love the use of the word "victim" - as if the machine willfully attacked her... Tragic story, but as usual the machine is not the culprit - stupidity is...

isn't that the truth, this happend right down the street from me, i didn't know either one though, one was from wellington and the other was from elyria its pathetic how people can blame the machine for there deaths, i just want to know where there irresponsible parents were, in my book they should be brought up on charges for involuntary manslaughter :mad:

400exdad
01-06-2004, 11:10 AM
They were probably at home with no idea (hopefully) the girls had gone for a quick spin. I feel sorry for the parents who lost their daughter. While we always where our gear when we ride, ATV's are still dangerous and I hope and pray I never have to deal with the loss of one of my children.

Crazy400EX
01-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Me and my friends THINK we're hot shots and we go out and raise hell, but one thing we dont do is go without a helmet.What really makes me mad is the wheeler always get blamed.:mad: stupid stupid people.

Texan32
01-06-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Foxyangel0425
...without protection...

THAT is why she is dead! When will people learn?!:grr:

redrider69
01-06-2004, 04:34 PM
you never really hear about ppl like over 18 dieng or even crashing and being in bad condition or anything im 14 and i always wear my helmet its so stupid not to

WEEZIL
01-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Riding an atv without a helmet is like putting a fork in a mircowave

Sparks and allot of pain

CJ400EX
01-09-2004, 12:36 PM
This is a sad think to hear, but if you have no respect for an ATV this is what takes place.
I wear full gear & my kids wear full gear. It's just a smart thing to do.
You Know it takes less than 2 minute to put on your boots, chest protector, helmet, & gloves.

Bob-Hobo
01-09-2004, 01:54 PM
Come on, why do people keep posting this chit. People do stupid things and die because of it, do we need to hear about a new atv related death every fackin day?

UglyMotha™
01-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Bob-Hobo
Come on, why do people keep posting this chit. People do stupid things and die because of it, do we need to hear about a new atv related death every fackin day?

do you insist on whining like a little girl :o

i think i hear your mother calling, go get lost ya pansy :huh

MOFO
01-09-2004, 02:14 PM

I see your back to your little cocky self... you wonder why you got banned before... give it a break kid!

AtvMxRider
01-09-2004, 02:42 PM
do we need to hear about a new atv related death every fackin day?

Yes so now STFU:rolleyes: .

quadrider400
01-11-2004, 10:47 AM
Speaking as a parent and Grandfather.... I do not allow the key to be anywhere the kids can get it.... nor can they get the cut out switch lock either...... so I have 2 additional safegaurds....

the Helmet and other gear is not an option.... for anyone that rides with me.... even if I just meet them at a campground :D

Craig

cool 300ex
01-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Well sorry to here about that i think i am done riding 2 people on my atv. It makes it hard to controll it and you and the other person could get hurt or die.

yamblaster200
01-12-2004, 01:19 AM
was she related to anyone from hendrix racing?

CJ400EX
01-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Her passenger, 14-year-old Caitlin Bender of Elyria, is in serious condition at MetroHealth Medical Center.

How is Caitlin Bender doing?

PHAT400
01-12-2004, 04:33 PM
OK, anyone else have a problem with this?

My son does not ride unless myself or his mother is riding, if it's a nice day to ride and I am not home.... to bad son. Granted he is only 5 right now, but ya know what, I want him to be with us for as long as possible. It may piss him off when he get's older but that's just the way it is... He deserves my love and protection when he needs it most..

I was never allowed to ride my snowmobile without my mom or dad present. Snuck it out once and blasted across the lake to be cool around my buddies (any of this sound familiar) and lost control around 50. Well, cracked my helmet (1970's star's and stripe's) and had ice rash all over.... :( still hurt's.....

Maybe when he's 16 I may let him ride when I'm not around...

My point being......:rolleyes: (sorry) ADULT SUPERVISION. Is it that difficult?

Anyway, i can't protect him all the time, but there will be less chance of him killing himself if I am riding with him...

:macho

AtvMxRider
01-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by PHAT400
OK, anyone else have a problem with this?

My son does not ride unless myself or his mother is riding, if it's a nice day to ride and I am not home.... to bad son. Granted he is only 5 right now, but ya know what, I have the key's in my posession alway's.

I was never allowed to ride my snowmobile without my mom or dad present. Snuck it out once and blasted across the lake to be cool around my buddies (any of this sound familiar) and lost control around 50. Well, cracked my helmet (1970's star's and stripe's) and had ice rash all over.... :( still hurt's.....

Maybe when he's 16 I may let him ride when I'm not around...

My point being......:rolleyes: (sorry) ADULT SUPERVISION. Is it that difficult?

Anyway, i can't protect him all the time, but there will be less chance of him killing himself if I am riding with him...

:macho

CJ400EX
01-13-2004, 09:29 AM
PHAT400 I agree with you. I do not let my son or daughter ride with out us watching @ all. I know they do not understand, but one day they will.

01-13-2004, 12:10 PM
everyone that has came to visit me ever since my wreck last sunday keeps telling me that i was really lucky to only be in this wheelchair and have no head injuries since i wasnt wearing my helmet. i heard about how many deaths happen because of riders with no helmets and it has motivated me to wear my helmet from now on. go ahead and call me an idiot or whatever you want because i deserve it for not wearing a helmet. no i cant ride for six months because of my stupidity. they are right, stupid does hurt

UglyMotha™
01-13-2004, 12:17 PM
isn't there anywhere else that you can waste what brain cells you have left :o

it starts out as just a broken leg, but now your a friggin cripple, WHATEVER get lost and while your at it get a life you must be pretty pathetic to sit around and come up with this stuff just to get attention on the INTERNET :huh