PDA

View Full Version : Hey Pappy...you tried this yet?

ranger400ex
01-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Have you tried using electrolysis rust removal? instead of using naval jelly or rust converter (which damage or eat the good metal along with the rust...and are nasty) you simply use some amperage...and some wash soda.

I did a completely rusted stock exhaust can and subframe from a 400ex this weekend....it took every bit of rust off, is self-limiting (wont strip anything of the metal just the rust, paint, coating, etc) and is cheap and easy and the chemicals can be poured down the drain just like soap.

first few times I have tried it and it works better than anything I have ever used.

anyone else used this for some time now, with any thoughts?

ben

ranger400ex
01-05-2004, 02:27 PM
PS

It was as a strip prior to etching and powedercoating.

Pappy
01-05-2004, 03:56 PM
i have read about the process but never taken any steps to trying it. i know that some companies use this process when getting parts ready for plating. if it will remove powdercoating im all for it:devil:

and yes, etching with electrolosis is an excellent way to assure a good bond especially on parts with rust.

Ohio R
01-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Ben. Is it somekind of machine? What puts the amperage to the metal with out getting a jolt?

ranger400ex
01-06-2004, 05:57 AM
basics,

some rerod electrodes in an non-conductive tank
part suspended in the water/soda combo
connect a battery charger (I got the big motha, but a small good model should work) correct polarity is crucial or you can actually rust a part more
- to the part, and + to the electrodes
let remove for 4-24hrs...just don't leave it in an enclosed enviroment....O2 and H2 make for a nice zepplin like bomb with the presence of fire

pretty easy, and most stuff is in your garage already minus the tank and soda.

ben

29FTEX
01-06-2004, 09:34 AM
I've worked in Electroplating for the last 10 years. Ranger 400ex gives a good example of how to do it yourself. Yes the Hydrogen can and will ignite if not vented!!! Hydrogen is released at the cathode (the part being cleaned). We do reel to reel plating and now are doing barrel and rack. We use NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide) as our cleaner. For some of the rougher surfaces we need smooth, we do anodic cleaning, which is reversing the leads. This will remove some of the surface of the part, rather than the conventional cleaning of the surface with the NaOH. The material removed will collect on what he called the "electrode".

We use DC rectifiers to adjust the voltage/amperage to the solutions. With the set up ranger 400ex refers to, the - goes to the part (cathode or substrate) and the + goes to the anode (in our set ups it's a titanium plate). Anodic cleaning is reversing the two leads. With the more cleaner you have, the less the voltage will be (less resistance) and the more amperage you will be able to use to clean with.

zephead400ex
01-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by ranger400ex
basics,

some rerod electrodes in an non-conductive tank
part suspended in the water/soda combo
connect a battery charger (I got the big motha, but a small good model should work) correct polarity is crucial or you can actually rust a part more
- to the part, and + to the electrodes
let remove for 4-24hrs...just don't leave it in an enclosed enviroment....O2 and H2 make for a nice zepplin like bomb with the presence of fire

pretty easy, and most stuff is in your garage already minus the tank and soda.

ben

ZEPPELIN!!!:D :devil:

Pappy
01-06-2004, 11:55 AM
i got my jumper cables out...and a few thousand batteries here....what to strip...what to strip:devil:

400exmom
01-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
i got my jumper cables out...and a few thousand batteries here....what to strip...what to strip:devil: http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/eyebrows.gif

01-06-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by 400exmom
http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/eyebrows.gif

I new the terms, batteries and strip, all in one sentance would get your worked up....:devil:

400exmom
01-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I new the terms, batteries and strip, all in one sentance would get your worked up....:devil: http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/wink%20an%20kiss.gif

ranger400ex
01-06-2004, 03:28 PM
did I mention agitation/vibration can help the process.....Kim you might want to make a trip to indiana for a little stripping/current/vibration session on any rusty parts...... :D

;)

250EXstud
01-06-2004, 03:32 PM
When i want to get rust off I use my dads new sandblaster. Its awsome! You just need to paint of squirt a bung of oil on it or it will rust even worse.

250EXstud
01-06-2004, 03:34 PM
We are also in the market of buying a parts washer. Nothing really high chemical but like Mineral Spirits or something.

PhilMoore
01-06-2004, 05:24 PM
What kind of soda do you use? Will Coke work? How about Pepsi or Mountain Dew?

J/K :p

What is the mix of soda to water?

How about using the welder for juice? Would that be overkill?